CT To Issuse Drivers License To Undocumented Immegrants

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I moved up here from Mass, I thought it would be a piece of cake to transfer my license. Nuh uh...I had to show FOUR forms of ID. My unexpired Mass. License (#1), proof of NH residency (#2), proof of U.S. citizenship (#3) and because my last name doesn't match the name on my birth certificate, I had have my divorce paperwork dug up from county court (#4).

Took me 3 trips to the Dept. Of Safety to get that all straightened out. All for moving 40 miles north. Somehow I don't see a drivers license for illegals as being that stringent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I moved up here from Mass, I thought it would be a piece of cake to transfer my license. Nuh uh...I had to show FOUR forms of ID. My unexpired Mass. License (#1), proof of NH residency (#2), proof of U.S. citizenship (#3) and because my last name doesn't match the name on my birth certificate, I had have my divorce paperwork dug up from county court (#4).

Took me 3 trips to the Dept. Of Safety to get that all straightened out. All for moving 40 miles north. Somehow I don't see a drivers license for illegals as being that stringent.

When my wife & I got married, and she moved to Virginia, it took us a couple of trips to DMV to get her license. We needed a couple of proofs of identity, proof of legal presence, the marriage certificate to document the name change (in hindsight, we should've changed her Missouri license, then taken it to Virginia... Would've made it simpler.)... Took two or three trips in all to get everything acceptable.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could've told the Indiana DMV I was <noNSA>Osama bin Laden</noNSA> and they'd have issued the license in that name. Eh, maybe it's better now.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure how allowing unrepentant criminals, illegal immigration is a crime, privileges is supposed to help in any way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because they are driving anyway, often with inadequate training--it's a safety measure for the state's residents.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me, if there were a valid path--but again, it's federal vs. state. Sounds like CT would like to verify their ID but isn't sure it can as the feds deal with passports etc.

Then IMO, it still defeats the purpose of the DL, if it can't be used for ID purposes.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is one of those situations where there's not really a good solution, and the best they can do is to try to figure out what's the least bad option. The government of the State of CT is probably more concerned with making roads safer than enforcing immigration law.

IMO, I'm not sure how its going to make the roads safer, if that's really their goal. Personally, I'd say its more along the lines of what I said earlier...the decision makers just want more votes.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The government of the state of CT cannot enforce immigration law, regardless of how concerned they are about it. Think legal jurisdiction and span of control.

Why can't they? If the cops have reasonable proof that the person they're dealing with is illegal, well, isn't that what ICE is for?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hmm....so you have to jump thru hoops but the illegal doesn't? Shocker! LOL! Perhaps I'm misunderstanding here, but if you have to show proof of citizenship, then so should the 'undocumented' person, which, unless I'm wrong, if they weren't here illegally, then this whole thing would be a non issue, no?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm....so you have to jump thru hoops but the illegal doesn't? Shocker! LOL! Perhaps I'm misunderstanding here, but if you have to show proof of citizenship, then so should the 'undocumented' person, which, unless I'm wrong, if they weren't here illegally, then this whole thing would be a non issue, no?

I still think this completely misses the reality that those people are here, are driving, and the federal govt. isn't doing much about it. If it was as simple as notifying the feds that there are people here illegally, that'd be one thing. As is, if this gets them into driver's ed. courses, it could improve safety--and save lives.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still think this completely misses the reality that those people are here, are driving, and the federal govt. isn't doing much about it. If it was as simple as notifying the feds that there are people here illegally, that'd be one thing.
They know, and like you, they don't care.
As is, if this gets them into driver's ed. courses, it could improve safety--and save lives.
That it rewards criminals isn't important...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They know, and like you, they don't care.

I didn't say I didn't care. I said that, like the states, I am living in the real world where not much is being done on immigration. You're just complaining--they're making the best of a difficult situation over which they have very little control. The court has ruled immigration a federal issue that the states must largely leave to the feds, but no one is evicting these folks from CT.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The government of the state of CT cannot enforce immigration law, regardless of how concerned they are about it. Think legal jurisdiction and span of control.

Mmm. I didn't mean that the CT state police have a mission to deport people. I meant that the state is doing something here that makes it easier for illegal immigrants to live in that state, which is counter to the spirit of the federal government's stance on illegal immigrants. But for a state government, having fewer untrained drivers on the road is probably going to be more important than making things tough for illegal immigrants.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still think this completely misses the reality that those people are here, are driving, and the federal govt. isn't doing much about it. If it was as simple as notifying the feds that there are people here illegally, that'd be one thing. As is, if this gets them into driver's ed. courses, it could improve safety--and save lives.

Oh I know they're here and driving. IMO though, the main focus should be on getting them to legal status, not giving them a DL. Seems like they're putting the cart before the horse, but I'm not shocked..lol. Of course, the feds don't want to shake up the basket too much and offend the BHC (bleeding hearts club members) who feel sorry for the illegals and claim their 'rights' are being violated.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions