cross training with weapons

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu
do any of you guys cross train with weapons? for instance... do you practice karate but involve iaido? do you study american kempo, but use japanese weapons? do you not use weapons at all?

i am just curious who learns what and what styles teach what.

my TSD style involves the long staff, nunchaku, katana, arnis sticks, short blade, and katana.

He, he. I do Modern Arnis, Balintawak, and some Bando.

So in reality, I cross-train my weapon work with empty hands. :D

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I did BJJ , JKD and Boxing but also learn Kali ( it is in my JKD ) and I also learn to use European Bastard Sword ( they teach sword grappling such as throw , takedown and lock ) and Poleaxe . I believe my European Sword Art can also be applied on japanese Katana and Chinese Miao Dao while FMA can also be applied on Sai , Butterfly Knife , Dao , Jian .

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that the various arts I study complement each other. I find studying rapier improves my longsword and vice-versa. And the grappling parts of those weapon arts are similar. I tend to keep the techniqes separate, though. I also switch up handedness. I do longsword and rapier left-handed, but sword & buckler right-handed. When I take up messer (German falchion/long knife), I plan on learning it with both hands. :)

Best regards,

-Mark