Cross-Training Kung Fu and other arts

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes down to what is the emphasis of the individual. I have those who want to learn a martial art/system... just don't know and most don't care which one, just interested in learning something. Many not really interesting in fighting but having that ability is a great byproduct. It's more they want to someone to keep them motivated to be physically and mentally challenged. I recommend they train in several for a few months to see which they like the best or best suits their wants & needs then focus on that one. Others come for training in a specific system so that's what they train while others just want to learn how to physically defend themselves using whatever it takes. With these it's more about using whatever the systems have that can be integrated cohesively and efficiently. Some of these are LEOs or military personnel who are looking for skills and attributes that can be used in a short time of training versus months of development. I teach individuals using a multitude of systems depending on their needs. Give your clients what they need. If you can't provide what they need then recommend someone who can. If someone wants to just learn 1 system...great. If they want to be able to physically use the training is some effective manner in a couple of weeks or even on the streets tomorrow...the training is going to be different than the one wanting to learn a system.
Man, I wanted to go through and "like" and "agree" a bunch of different sentences in that one, Danny.

captbike

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts and experience with cross-training different disciplines.

Where I am living in Urumqi, China, there is alot of BJJ, Taekwondo, and some Wing Chun.

Do people see benefits/drawbacks to practicing something like Kung Fu and another martial art?

Just curious
smile.gif
As far as MARTIAL-ARTS ,my style is Kenpo;
My forte for PHYSICAL FITNESS is BODYBUILDING : a possible drawback ,even if you are the best,(at least one of them anyway) the Masters still play their favorites.
"VIRGIN-MERRY"Wing Chun is Southern Shaolin in that it emphasizes simplicity and close combat fighting whereas Tae Kwon Do is is NORTHERN SHAOLIN ,with its emphasis on Kicking and acrobatic-like action.
BRAZILIAN JIUJITSU is like Karate and wrestling combined and dominated UFC in the 1990s because I trained in all these styles with Kenpo Teacher(s)'SELENA.'
BADDER-THAN-BRUCELEE
Y'SHUAMESSIAH CHRISTJESUS
FATHER-SON/WORD HOLY SPIRIT,
Mister Caglar Juan Singletary Master

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to my instructors.
I mainly practice Xingyiquan, Taijiquan, Shaolinquan, and I have tried Wing Chun and Sanda.

I'm more curious from a theory/practical sense. Since there are so many different styles.

oh boy, that’s a big bag of different and conflicting styles of Kung fu you are trying to learn, and all that in 3 years?

Latest Discussions