Cross training in other martial arts.

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well going to gym is not as same of learning martial arts, however i am also new to it, therefore this information will be helpful for me too. :)

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What are the views on this for beginners. I just started learning taekwondo but because of my work schedule there will be a two week block every eight weeks where I won't be able to attend classes.

There are local Judo and Japanese Jiu Jitsu clubs where I could attend. Would this be a bad idea or are they sufficiently different not to interfere? Or should I just go down the gym instead? I'd keep my main focus on taekwondo, it's just something to do when I can't attend.

Any thoughts?

Cross training in Judo would be your best bet as this is quite different to Tae Kwondo and rather than interfere with your Tae Kwondo training, this would broaden your overall knowledge and self defense skills.

I would say though that starting off learning two Martial Arts would be very difficult and you'd be better off learning Tae Kwondo and going to the Gym until you feel confident enough to take on another Martial Art along side Tae Kwondo

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the views on this for beginners. I just started learning taekwondo but because of my work schedule there will be a two week block every eight weeks where I won't be able to attend classes.

There are local Judo and Japanese Jiu Jitsu clubs where I could attend. Would this be a bad idea or are they sufficiently different not to interfere? Or should I just go down the gym instead? I'd keep my main focus on taekwondo, it's just something to do when I can't attend.

Any thoughts?

Get a good grip on TKD first. The most obvious distinction between the two is that one art is up close, the other is long range. I say just practice your forms and techniques during the timeframe when you can't attend class.

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow good idea of practicing martial arts at home by taking assistance from this forum. Definitely more can be searched and images as well.:joyful:

Latest Discussions