Cross-form-training?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use the taeguek forms. I was looking at some videos of Palgwe forms and thought they looked cool and was thinking of trying to learn them as I went along.

Do people tend to learn both sets of forms as they go along? Is this something useful for me to do or should, at my level, I not split my concentration like that?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your training Jay!

The Palgwe series was replaced by the Taeguek series. The Palgwes are now supplementary training.

If you learn the Taeguek series well, you will have learned all of basic concepts contained within the Palgwe series, and more.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Miles

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jay,
you seem eager and ready to learn. Be careful by trying to take on more than you can handle too early in training. Get a good base then move on. :)

S

Shidan

FearlessFreep said:
We use the taeguek forms. I was looking at some videos of Palgwe forms and thought they looked cool and was thinking of trying to learn them as I went along.

Do people tend to learn both sets of forms as they go along? Is this something useful for me to do or should, at my level, I not split my concentration like that?
It really depends upon your Sensei! If they are open to you investingating other style/strategies, it may prove good.

If you are early in your training, it's likely best you skip it to allow everything your Sensei throws at you 100% of your attention.

Personally, I'd wait a good number of years before adding a different style into the mix - but I have trained over 30 years and NOW appreciate the uniqueness of other styles - but I still pull back to my roots ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my school we teach both for the one's that want to learn also Chon0ji and alot od the Dai from Okinawa Karate

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good poins all.

I've only been doing this for about six months and I havemy next belt test in a few weeks so it may be better to focus on what I need to do until I have a stronger foundation

Palgwe Il Jang didn't seem to have different moves than I've already done, but seemed to have mre advanced moves at that level than Taeguek Il Jang so I was curious

Than again, I have a lot of spinning kicks to practice and contemplate as well :)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some schools teach the palgwe poomse, some teach the taeguks, some teach both, some teach neither...and that's just in one organization! I've often thought of doing the same thing with the taeguk forms but I would rather not. I am not a big fan of learning from a book when I have an extrememly qualified instructor. We don't teach taeguks and I doubt we ever will. It's just another thing on my list to do if I get the oppurtunity sometime in my life. Until then, I'd say just focus on perfecting the forms you do know.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are only into the basic forms. Each form will get better as you advance--with better strength, coordination, balance, agility, flexibility etc.
As I got to 2nd dan level, I noticed a big change of my ability in the forms.

Also, there are details to each form, taught to some who want to get in depth but not always to others who have more difficulty at more basic techniques. So, whatever base technique forms your schools chooses, study those thoroughly is my advice, before going on to learning a new set. TW

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the dojang I attend, the Taeguks are taught from 8th-1st kup. I think at 1st kup, the first palgue forms are introduced.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
doc clean said:
At the dojang I attend, the Taeguks are taught from 8th-1st kup. I think at 1st kup, the first palgue forms are introduced.

I was thinking of doing something simiilar-introducing the Palgwe series at 1st dan. My rationale is that I require my 1st dans to become USTU certified referees in order to test for 2nd dan. In USTU competitions, the Palgwes are allowed, albeit infrequently seen in MI. But Koryo is enough of a challenge for 1st dans.....

Miles

Latest Discussions