creating a new style is so easy?

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i doubt.
i think a new style should have a new concept, new techniques, and be more efficient, more effective.it will be tested in a real fight.then one can say i have invent a new style.
what do you think?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i doubt.
i think a new style should have a new concept, new techniques, and be more efficient, more effective.it will be tested in a real fight.then one can say i have invent a new style.
what do you think?

Why create something "new" when most people don't bother to master what's old...

Besides... is there anything really "new" that completely innovative & not a variation on a theme or something like that?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we look back, on our early years of training, and consider what was taught, the old will become new, with an open mind.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The wheel gets re-invented every couple of years, so you see it is a new concept and style with the same old name.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So many things can be said that would come out wrong so let me try.

We seem to tend towards the business end of things, this means we must attract the young to make the money. This is usually accomplised by the use of grand stories and even grander titles. I dont know that we 'reinvent the wheel" as much as reshuffle things and become the "grand poobaa' so we are the one and only at something.

If I offend some I am sorry.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many things can be said that would come out wrong so let me try.

It's a contact game. Give lumps as good as you take or move along. ;)

We seem to tend towards the business end of things, this means we must attract the young to make the money. This is usually accomplised by the use of grand stories and even grander titles. I dont know that we 'reinvent the wheel" as much as reshuffle things and become the "grand poobaa' so we are the one and only at something.

That's very true.

If I offend some I am sorry.

If it hurts somebody's feelings, it might be the 2x4 of truth.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't easy or hard. It's inevitable.

As you learn and grow you will take what you have learned and turn it into something which reflects your understanding, experience, innovation, what you've been taught and everything you've seen or imagined. In the beginning you'll look like a poor imitation of your teachers. As you progress you will become a good imitation of your teachers. Further down the line people will recognize what you do as coming from your teachers, but it will have your own stamp. At some point if you take it far enough it will look sufficiently different that people will say "That's thus-and-so's stuff."

The question isn't whether you will create your own style. It's how much that style will resemble the style of your instructors and whether it's any good or not.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With the creation of so many RBSD styles of late, I doubt there is much to change really, if your thinking of a new style that is more pragmatic for street self defense. I think every new innovation has come out by now really, but you never know...I'm satisfied with what's currently out there.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i doubt.
what do you think?
What new principles of motion do you have in mind? LOL. Actually New styles occur naturaly. When a practitioner uses his body type to his advantage and tries to teach that style of fighting to someone whom does not share that body type. Its a new style.
Sean

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thanks for all your replies.
i think for everyone has different body character, even learning the same style ,after years training, they may be totally different. comparing with the original request of this style, or the character of the instructor, this one is also different. but IMO, it's not enough to say that it's a new style. it's juse made some new changes in the old style.
creating a new style here, i mean, is that creating a new lineage or new school, such as Zhang San Feng invented Tai ji(if true), Dong Hai Chuan invented Ba gua. in chinese, it's said"&#24320;&#23447;&#31435;&#27966;".
in old china, if some one said he had created a new style, many martial artists would knock at the door and ask for a fight. only unbeaten record can lead this new style to open to the public.
however, nowadays, things change a lot. it's easy for some one to claim that i have created a new style. no one ask for a fight ,for a fight may cause legal corespondece. so i find out that there are taiji do, taiji pu-hands do, taiji xin yi do, etc.
poor things!

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that is the crux of it right there. Understand I'm not a blackbelt in any system. However, as you learn, the things that you learn get changed a little here and there. It's the same system, but it fits you better. So even though it may still be Kenpo, or Taekwondo, or any number of other martial arts, and you may teach almost exactly the way you were taught. It's not really Kenpo anymore. It becomes your interpretation of Kenpo. That is not a new style or system. It's just your way of doing it. Same material your instructor taught you, but with your flavor added to it. I think that is where alot people get a little screwy. I've learned art "A", I don't do it exactly like master "A" so I'm gonna call it art "B". You know what I mean?

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has there been an attempt to actually classify all "styles" into things that can actually be considered "new" vs those styles that are merely variations on a theme?

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i don't know how to define new style. the history of each new school may give us some helps.
xingyi derives from the techniques of spear, taiji derives from shaolin kung fu. Yi quan derives from Xing yi, ba gua and some other styles. etc.
these style are different from its source, including the training methods, the concept of fighting. then we can say it's a new style, not a old style with new character.

Latest Discussions