"Creating a Hyung" is a Chodan Requirement

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All students in our lineage of TSD must create a form as a requirement for chodan. This is not a task that should be taken lightly. Both my teacher and I have spent YEARS formulating and creating the kata we presented. I will post videos of those forms below and then I will discuss the process that I would like my students to follow when they set out to create their own form.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following video is of a kata my teacher created. It is called Tang Soo Hyung or "China Hand" form. It has been posted elsewhere, but it belongs in this thread also because it is an easy form for students to understand in regards to creating their own form.

The purpose of this form is to show applications of many of the hand techniques that are found in our basics, but are not found in any of our forms. There are also basic techniques found in this form that are also found in traditional TSD forms by the way.

This form is characterized by the sheer volume of techniques and the speed at which they are performed. There are 90 moves in this form and they must be performed in less then 30 seconds. The purpose of this speed is to practice rapid-fire combinations at a speed of three moves per second or greater.

This form is mainly a striking form, however, there are a few in-close grabbing moves that pull the uke into strikes...and these are incredibly powerful.

upnorthkyosa

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following video is of a form of my creation. I haved called it Great Blue Heron Hyung.

I grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota. This is a small city in central Minnesota that is nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River. One of my favorite pastimes as a child, besides martial arts, was fishing. Thus, I have put in countless hours on the water in search of my prey.

During this time, I had ample opportunity to examine all sorts of wildlife. And, in particular, the Great Blue Heron always fascinated me. Here is a picture of it...

h1940pi.jpg

Physically, the GBH is a very large and statuesque bird. It stands in the shallows and its gracefull S curving neck examines everything before it regally. When stalking its prey, it moves very slowly, almost imperceptably, and then with incredible speed and precision, it lashes out with its beak and snaps up its food.

I've seen alot of things fall prey to this attack. Everything from frogs, snakes, crayfish, ducklings, and of course fish...including a 2 lbs smallmouth bass, went down this animal's gullet. As a hunter who watched and learned from other hunters, regardless of species, the GBH presented a wonderful example of what has been called Stillness in Motion.

If I were to compare the hunting success of a Bald Eagle with that of the Great Blue Heron, the GBH wins hands down, based on my observations.

When I was given the task of creating my own form, the Great Blue Heron naturally came to mind as inspiration. I was in college at the time and I spend many afternoons by the river with a pair of feild glasses and a note pad. I mostly watched the Heron fish, which is an awesome sight to see, but I also had the opportunity to see the Heron defend itself on two occasions.

On one occasion, a cat had made its way down the bank toward the heron's nest. The female was on gaurd at the time and it watched the cat stalk in from a nearby bush. The cat, not noticing the sentry because of its stillness, did not realize the danger it was in until the heron swooped in. The heron grabbed the cat with its feet and wings and finished it off with a lightning fast stab from its beak.

The other occasion where I witnessed the Heron defending itself is even more impressive. In this instance, a male heron was guarding the nest and a pack of three feral dogs came to raid the clutch and perhaps eat the sentry. The dogs came in and attempted to surround the heron, who would fly up a short distance and come down striking with its wings and stabbing with its beak. Everytime the dogs came in, the bird would float and plummet with its rain of attacks. After a few strings of yelps, which I assume were lost eyes on the part of the dogs, the heron made a mad rush complete with loud croaks and flailing wings. The dogs scattered and did not return during the time that I was watching.

With all of this in mind, I created my hyung. Everything from the philosophy of movement, to the basics, to the combinations, and the application against an opponent is inspired by my observations of this animal.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With all of that being said, there is no cookie cutter recipe that you can follow in order to create a form. You must come up with your own process. There are some elements that must be included however...

You need to show how everything from the basics techniques used, to the applications presented, to the way that everything is performed, ties into the general philosophy of the form.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The following video is of a form of my creation. I haved called it Great Blue Heron Hyung.

I grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota. This is a small city in central Minnesota that is nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River. One of my favorite pastimes as a child, besides martial arts, was fishing. Thus, I have put in countless hours on the water in search of my prey.

During this time, I had ample opportunity to examine all sorts of wildlife. And, in particular, the Great Blue Heron always fascinated me. Here is a picture of it...

h1940pi.jpg

Physically, the GBH is a very large and statuesque bird. It stands in the shallows and its gracefull S curving neck examines everything before it regally. When stalking its prey, it moves very slowly, almost imperceptably, and then with incredible speed and precision, it lashes out with its beak and snaps up its food.

I've seen alot of things fall prey to this attack. Everything from frogs, snakes, crayfish, ducklings, and of course fish...including a 2 lbs smallmouth bass, went down this animal's gullet. As a hunter who watched and learned from other hunters, regardless of species, the GBH presented a wonderful example of what has been called Stillness in Motion.

If I were to compare the hunting success of a Bald Eagle with that of the Great Blue Heron, the GBH wins hands down, based on my observations.

When I was given the task of creating my own form, the Great Blue Heron naturally came to mind as inspiration. I was in college at the time and I spend many afternoons by the river with a pair of feild glasses and a note pad. I mostly watched the Heron fish, which is an awesome sight to see, but I also had the opportunity to see the Heron defend itself on two occasions.

On one occasion, a cat had made its way down the bank toward the heron's nest. The female was on gaurd at the time and it watched the cat stalk in from a nearby bush. The cat, not noticing the sentry because of its stillness, did not realize the danger it was in until the heron swooped in. The heron grabbed the cat with its feet and wings and finished it off with a lightning fast stab from its beak.

The other occasion where I witnessed the Heron defending itself is even more impressive. In this instance, a male heron was guarding the nest and a pack of three feral dogs came to raid the clutch and perhaps eat the sentry. The dogs came in and attempted to surround the heron, who would fly up a short distance and come down striking with its wings and stabbing with its beak. Everytime the dogs came in, the bird would float and plummet with its rain of attacks. After a few strings of yelps, which I assume were lost eyes on the part of the dogs, the heron made a mad rush complete with loud croaks and flailing wings. The dogs scattered and did not return during the time that I was watching.

With all of this in mind, I created my hyung. Everything from the philosophy of movement, to the basics, to the combinations, and the application against an opponent is inspired by my observations of this animal.

I expect this would be a similar inspiration to the White Crane.

We have herons here in California as well. Some live in the parks in San Francisco. I have never witnessed an event like you describe, but that sounds tremendously interesting.

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
All students in our lineage of TSD must create a form as a requirement for chodan. This is not a task that should be taken lightly. Both my teacher and I have spent YEARS formulating and creating the kata we presented. I will post videos of those forms below and then I will discuss the process that I would like my students to follow when they set out to create their own form.

?!?!?!?!!

Novitiate

White Belt
Reaction score
The requirements are very open ended
I like that
it really brings the arts to the martial aspects

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know that that's such a great idea, to be perfectly honest. It all just begins when you achieve cho dan rank, so before then you haven't really even begun. I've experimented a bit with making my own patterns of movements, and I'm always messing around with combinations, but I'd never presume to call anything I do a hyung that I'd do in class, much less at a test.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Creating a form is all good. But comparatively speaking it's not much of a challenge. A real test of skill is kembangan as it's practiced in several Indonesian traditions. You don't plan it. You don't rehearse it. You just start and move and then stop when you're finished. It's never the same twice, but it has to be done in perfect form according to the principles of your system.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tellner, we do "free flow" drills down the road and yes, they are difficult, but they are fun. However, kembangen is what we are doing when we are creating a form. The student is creating a document that contains martial knowledge. They are learning how to "read and write" in the language of forms so that they can understand the forms that they already practice. Creating a form has show to be an integral part of building a students ability to actually understand what is going on in a form.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UpNorth,

I'm sure I already know the answer to this question.....but just how in depth with the Hyung do you go, in terms of Bunkai? Are students required to also know, demonstrate and document Bunkai for each movement?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The short answer is yes. A student should be able to document and perform bunkai for every movement in the form...and they should understand that they can take it further so that each movement has multiple applications. This doesn't happen right away, however.

If I were to take this expectation and spread it out over the ranks, this is how I see the progression.

White-Green - a student learns how to read a hyung and perform some applications.

Red-Brown - a student begins the process of interpreting the hyung, coming up with applications, and testing them.

Black - a student should be able to perform applications for all five pyung ahn forms and they should be well on their way to interpreting others.

1st dan through 4th - a student should be able to perform applications for every move of every hyung that they know.

4th and up - a student should be able to perform multiple applications using deeper aspects of the hyung for every hyung that they know.

Latest Discussions