Crazy, Wacky, Bizarre Florida

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't been down there in years... since I was a boy... reading this... I'm not sure if I want to.
full story here: http://www.news4jax.com/news/220788...l=jax_12pm&ts=T&tmi=jax_12pm_1_11450101012010

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- You know you're living in a weird state when the governor promotes a pay-per-minute sex chat line.Or when a congressman asks the House speaker to move a day's worth of votes so he can watch a college football game.Or when employees at not just one, not two, but three state prisons use stun guns on their kids as part of "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day." (More: 3 Fired After Prisons Shock Kids)That's Florida, once again making people snicker at its dumb criminals, strange animals and all-around oddness.
Gov. Charlie Crist was embarrassed when an on-hold recording he made transposed two numbers for an uninsured child helpline and callers instead were led to "horny" girls willing to talk about anything for just $2.99 a minute. (More: Gov. Gives Number To Phone Sex Line)
It wasn't the only odd moment in politics. Rep. Cliff Stearns asked Speaker Nancy Pelosi to basically shut down Congress early so he and some of the Florida and Oklahoma House guys could go watch their teams in the national championship game. She said no. (More: (Stearns Asks Pelosi For Football Break) Candidates for local offices were also embarrassed in 2009.
A Miami Beach mayoral candidate was disqualified from the race after his qualifying check bounced, and a minister running for Belle Glade City Commission was charged with swinging a bat at a woman outside a polling place. He lost the election.
Two 8-year-old Alachua County boys made better use of their baseball bats: They successfully fought off a man armed with a gun who was threatening to kill the mother of one of the boys.

More funny stuff from Florida... (same article)

Alcohol seems to lead to a lot of Florida's oddest stories.
Tampa police arrested a man who let his 12-year-old son drive his SUV so he could drink in the passenger seat.
A Marion County man was charged with driving under the influence after crashing a stolen riding lawnmower into a school bus.
A 22-year-old South Florida man climbed aboard a locomotive with a friend and took it seven miles down the tracks for a joy ride. They came up with the idea while heading to a local bar. (More: Locomotive Thief Told To Avoid Railroads)
A Clearwater man was charged with drunk driving after police pulled him over for driving a car with only three tires.Pasco County deputies arrested two men they said were fighting over $3 in gas money on the way home from a strip club. The weapons involved: a fish tank and a beer bottle.
A Bay County man arrested for shoplifting had a request for deputies: let him drink the beer he stole. He became combative when they refused.
Aww c'mon let the guy have the beer... it's going to be the last ones he has for a long time.

Latest Discussions