CR: The History of Monkey Kung Fu (2nd ed.) by Paulie Zink and Michael Matsuda.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This 170 page paperback on Ta Sheng Pek Kwar was written by the well-known monkey kung fu stylist Paulie Zink and one of his senior students. It appears to be self-published. The style is also referred to as Tai Sheng Pek Kwar and is the merger of Tai Sheng (Monkey style)and Pek Kwar (Ax Fist).

The book covers the history and family tree of both systems as well as discussion of Taoist Yoga, which makes up perhaps a third of a monkey stylist's training and provides the needed flexibility. (Mr. Zink's classes run to six hours, starting with two hours of Taoist Yoga.) There is also an interview with Mr. Zinkand a section on GM Ken Tak Hoi.

True to its title, the book concentrates on the history of the two component systems and the combined system, plus an overview of techniques and weapons. It mentions that Pek Kwar is sometimes taught on its own as well as in conjunction with the monkey system.

There are many pictures including some old pictures of monkey masters (mostly Ken Tak Hoi, the "2nd generation monkey master"). Most of the pictures are of Mr. Zink however.

I find this book interesting to flip through. It is not academic in tone; it provides a visually intriguing and enjoyable telling of the story of monkey kung fu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
What do people think of the effectiveness of Monkey style?

Its sort of odd, I've never actually fought anyone using this style, and I've never really seen anyone fight using it. It seems very tradtitional, but I can see many of the techniques do have valid applications. Some do not however. Its really interesting to watch though.

7sm

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
This 170 page paperback on Ta Sheng Pek Kwar was written by the well-known monkey kung fu stylist Paulie Zink and one of his senior students. It appears to be self-published. The style is also referred to as Tai Sheng Pek Kwar and is the merger of Tai Sheng (Monkey style)and Pek Kwar (Ax Fist).

The book covers the history and family tree of both systems as well as discussion of Taoist Yoga, which makes up perhaps a third of a monkey stylist's training and provides the needed flexibility. (Mr. Zink's classes run to six hours, starting with two hours of Taoist Yoga.) There is also an interview with Mr. Zinkand a section on GM Ken Tak Hoi.

True to its title, the book concentrates on the history of the two component systems and the combined system, plus an overview of techniques and weapons. It mentions that Pek Kwar is sometimes taught on its own as well as in conjunction with the monkey system.

There are many pictures including some old pictures of monkey masters (mostly Ken Tak Hoi, the "2nd generation monkey master"). Most of the pictures are of Mr. Zink however.

I find this book interesting to flip through. It is not academic in tone; it provides a visually intriguing and enjoyable telling of the story of monkey kung fu.

Unfortunately, Much of the so-called "history" is dubious at times. Go to www.taishengpekkwar.com and get the insights of the "Monkey king" GM Chan and Paulie Zink's "lack of association" with the main branch of monkey style kung fu.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems a little Mc-ish as in McDojo-ish. I could be way off, but an authentic school offering a full beginners to master-running-school program just tends to send off a little bell in my head. If you can spend $ 1246.00 and become a master and own your own school, I tend to become a little weary of it.

I'm not trying to say this school or instructors are illigetimate, just sounds a little strange to me.

7sm

Latest Discussions