Counter attack after getting hit in a frontal attack?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you counterattack after being hit?
Depends. On a whole lot of things.

It's probably different for everyone, depends if you saw what hit you coming in or maybe were blindsided, depends on how hard you were hit and to what part of your body you were hit, who hit you, why they hit you, terrain, circumstances and on and on.

Basically, as a friend of mine says, "Counter? Oh, yeah, whap, splat, li dat."

OP
Razznik

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depends. On a whole lot of things.

It's probably different for everyone, depends if you saw what hit you coming in or maybe were blindsided, depends on how hard you were hit and to what part of your body you were hit, who hit you, why they hit you, terrain, circumstances and on and on.

Basically, as a friend of mine says, "Counter? Oh, yeah, whap, splat, li dat."
Let's say it's a frontal punch and you have no way to dodge.
The punch hits you square in the chest (Basic example).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know, I might swarm, just follow his punch back when he's pulling it back and throw him down. I might strike with a counter hook or an overhead right, (depends on his size and distance) I might sweep him. And again, it depends. Are we talking dojo sparring, or you're out and somebody just smacks you?

I know this may sound stupid, but if I see it coming to my chest I might just let it hit me and ask "What's up with that?"

What I like to do, when it's there, is slap. (then grab) I slap well, been training slaps for decades.

The thing with counters is you have to really train counter striking. You have to gear up and spar contact. You have to pretty much stay in your stance - large movements getting out of the way doesn't usually allow you to counter effictively because you will usually be off your base.

Boxing is a pretty good way to effectively use counters, especially with the right trainer in a busy boxing gym. And it's really good to be able to watch counter fighters up close. Boxing will teach you to slip and to weave. Once you slip and weave well, everything about incoming strikes changes for you. I don't really like boxing, I prefer other martial Arts, but boxing can change your Martial counter game big time.

If you have a close training partner in your dojo it would be a fun year to just work on counter strikes after class. Say, like twenty minutes before you go home, if that's allowed.

And in your dojo, spar with the best fighters there, every time you spar. Be a pain in the neck asking them if you have to. If they're better than you, they'll usually counter the heck out of you. And if they are countering the heck out of you, watch the position of their feet and stance. You can pick up a lot.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try not to get hit. Presuming I get hit anyway, my response will be based on my training and the available responses that I judge useful at the time. Again, assuming it's a punch I could neither avoid nor block, I think I'd step back and assess, assuming something obvious didn't present itself.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
More than likely, I would ask if you really wanted to continue. Of all the places to pick, you hit the chest. That will not end well for you since we get hit there all the time ;) . If you pick the chest again: Cover, angle offline and slap you up the back of your head and ask you again, if you were sure you wanted to continue ;) .

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to many variables. Self defense is self defense. Fine, you get slugged in the chest, but what’s following it? If nothing and you go on the offensive, that’s not defense. If something and you counter, then it’s defense, until it becomes offense. Are there witnesses? Is the only thing they see, is you kicking butt? It’s why cops have to wear body cameras…

krowe

White Belt
Reaction score
Something I use frequently during spar is to allow the opponent to hit but make enough space or change ones posture so that the strike lands but does no damage. This requires less energy and keeps you within range to counter, or trap a limb, etc. I often press the attacking limb enough to off-put the strike's allignment or use a soft block if I have enough leeway but its not always necessary since it has more to do with footwork and manipulation of posture. Another tactic that works well consistantly to mitigate damage and make it (usually) negligable in a pinch is to simply do a light hop with both feet just slightly off the ground (just enough to lift you weight from the ground) and angle your body so that you can ride the force of the attack this turns their attack into a push that you obsorb (works in various situations). Getting some air and riding the attack is also great for getting distance since it will push you away more or less depending on how you hop(it ties smoothly into footwork and is not difficult). If you want to stay close and cannot or do not want to dodge entirely, however, its better to use the first method. For those that prefer to stick close to the opponent and prefer closequarters fighting the first method would be the standard approach to use. It also makes it harder for inexperienced fighters to tell if they landed a proper blow or not since it looks outwardly like they are landing attacks but are in fact not causing any damage despite making contact.