Correct posture whilst in fighting stance?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been thinking over this topic for a very long time now. About a year. I have videos of myself trying different techniques so that I could look back on my technique, and also some sparring/playfighting with a cousin of mine. These videos date as far back as a year and some of these videos are recent. What I have noticed in all of them is that I strongly cringe at the posture of my back in my fighting stance.

When I walk, ever since I was little, my parents did their best to teach me correct posture whilst walking: chin up and forwards, shoulders back, with the back of my head being in line with my back to keep the natural curve of the spine. However, when I instinctively tuck my chin In whilst fighting my posture goes to the mud. I will attach some files to show this. I have two pictures whilst I am practicing showing my posture (which makes me look like a giraffe with my neck stuck out) and the posture I attempt to keep whilst I am walking, relaxing etc.

Posture comparison This is a private imgur post with these pictures. I wish to know, what is the correct posture when fighting? If I try to tuck my chin in while keeping my back straight in a boxing stance, it feels uncomfortable. Are there any exercises that can help with this? What should I do?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been thinking over this topic for a very long time now. About a year. I have videos of myself trying different techniques so that I could look back on my technique, and also some sparring/playfighting with a cousin of mine. These videos date as far back as a year and some of these videos are recent. What I have noticed in all of them is that I strongly cringe at the posture of my back in my fighting stance.

When I walk, ever since I was little, my parents did their best to teach me correct posture whilst walking: chin up and forwards, shoulders back, with the back of my head being in line with my back to keep the natural curve of the spine. However, when I instinctively tuck my chin In whilst fighting my posture goes to the mud. I will attach some files to show this. I have two pictures whilst I am practicing showing my posture (which makes me look like a giraffe with my neck stuck out) and the posture I attempt to keep whilst I am walking, relaxing etc.

Posture comparison This is a private imgur post with these pictures. I wish to know, what is the correct posture when fighting? If I try to tuck my chin in while keeping my back straight in a boxing stance, it feels uncomfortable. Are there any exercises that can help with this? What should I do?
posture is entirely practice, it feels uncomfortable coz its unusual.

put some good music on, lye on the floor, prop your head up on a book, then tuck your chin in, then,,, just lye there listening to music

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be clear are you asking what is good stance/posture when sparring? If so there is no 'one size fits all' answer. However 'getting small' is the standard for standing, inside fighting. Not giving large targets like head high and chin out. Not standing unnaturally straight/tall. It ties into orthodox stance motion but is easily and often used regardless of which leg is forward.
Out fighters & kickers often use a slightly taller, more open stance until they get in a clinch.
A good visual would be to watch some quality boxer or up fighting MMA videos to see how they stand and move then adapt/modify to you style.
I am curious how the grapplers will respond. When I wrestled in high school and college we called to the cro-magnon stance. You have to really guard for your opponent trying to shoot you legs so your is center super low when standing.
You posture is great in the last photo.:cool:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's two things here. As @dvcochran said, getting small (especially vital targets like the chin and neck) is key. But you should also be relaxed. You can't have your shoulders back, hands up, and be relaxed. You're creating tension by doing so. That's going to affect your hand movement and your ability to twist your body. Plus, having your shoulders forward helps protect your neck.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
To be clear are you asking what is good stance/posture when sparring? If so there is no 'one size fits all' answer. However 'getting small' is the standard for standing, inside fighting. Not giving large targets like head high and chin out. Not standing unnaturally straight/tall. It ties into orthodox stance motion but is easily and often used regardless of which leg is forward.
Out fighters & kickers often use a slightly taller, more open stance until they get in a clinch.
A good visual would be to watch some quality boxer or up fighting MMA videos to see how they stand and move then adapt/modify to you style.
I am curious how the grapplers will respond. When I wrestled in high school and college we called to the cro-magnon stance. You have to really guard for your opponent trying to shoot you legs so your is center super low when standing.
You posture is great in the last photo.:cool:
I don’t mean as in stances. I mean as to how I should position my back to avoid back problems.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t mean as in stances. I mean as to how I should position my back to avoid back problems.

In the context of martial arts, protecting yourself is more important than having correct ergonomics. Hold that posture that your parents taught you when you're not fighting, and transition to that more hunched up,.relaxed guard while fighting.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the context of martial arts, protecting yourself is more important than having correct ergonomics. Hold that posture that your parents taught you when you're not fighting, and transition to that more hunched up,.relaxed guard while fighting.
Okay thanks. It just seems off to me. Whenever I look back on my footage it makes me cringe, and makes me think I look like a hunchback lol

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay thanks. It just seems off to me. Whenever I look back on my footage it makes me cringe, and makes me think I look like a hunchback lol

Pick your shoulders up and keep your guard up. That might look better.

Do a google image search for "boxing stance" and you'll see most of them have their head forward to keep their neck and chin small.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The stronger you keep your core throughout your life, the less problems you'll have with your back.

I think you're doing well so far. Keeping flexible and pliable have great benefits on overall health.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As has been said, posture is influenced by the style of fighting you're engaged in. Regardless, posture needs to allow you:
balance
mobility
position - offensively and defensively

Plus, if you have nice posture, your mom will be proud of you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm confused. Walking posture is not the same as fighting posture. Posture is not the same as structure. If you look like a hunch back then you are probably sticking your head out instead of tilting the head down. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As has been said, posture is influenced by the style of fighting you're engaged in.
This is why I'm confused because this is how I understand it. I also prefer the term Structure over posture, because if I'm trying to to a single leg take down or sweep, I'm not concern about how I look and what defines posture. I care more about the structure that allows me to do what you stated below.

balance
mobility
position - offensively and defensively

I don't try to maintain a straight back posture when I fight because it's not always a good thing. I don't always try to tuck my chin either for the same reason. To do so would compromise the structure I need for a lot of my long fist techniques.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The stronger you keep your core throughout your life, the less problems you'll have with your back.

I think you're doing well so far. Keeping flexible and pliable have great benefits on overall health.
Oh, the beauty in the youth. And how easy they make it look.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe

- 30% weight on the leading leg, and
- 70% weight on the back leg,

is the best weight distribution fighting stance.

3-7.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fighting stance is positioning of the body for combat. It's not going to be the same as "posing for pictures" stance or "standing in ranks at attention" stance, or "pedaling a bicycle" stance. The particulars of your fighting stance should be shaped by your style. Compare a collegiate wrestler to a boxer -- both have fighting stances suited to their sports. A swordsman's stance isn't the same as a person with a pistol, who is different than a person with a rifle or shotgun. Your posture during a deadlift isn't the same as during a squat...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The particulars of your fighting stance should be shaped by your style.
1. How much weight should you put in your leading foot?

If you put too

- much weight on your leading foot, your opponent will sweep you, or step on your knee.
- little weight on your leading foot, your opponent will run you down.

2. How wide should be your feet width?

If your stance is too

- wide, your opponent will attack you with "single leg".
- narrow, your opponent will attack you with "double legs".

There is a stance that's in the middle of both extremes, and that's is the 3-7 stance (30%, 70%).

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the following 2 stances, which stance

- is more risky for the "single leg" attack?
- has more mobility?

I believe the answers are

- 4-6 stance, and
- 3-7 stance.

4-6 stance:

4-6.png

3-7 stance:

3-7.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting stance is positioning of the body for combat. It's not going to be the same as "posing for pictures" stance or "standing in ranks at attention" stance, or "pedaling a bicycle" stance. The particulars of your fighting stance should be shaped by your style. Compare a collegiate wrestler to a boxer -- both have fighting stances suited to their sports. A swordsman's stance isn't the same as a person with a pistol, who is different than a person with a rifle or shotgun. Your posture during a deadlift isn't the same as during a squat...
Agree. And even within a given style/system stances (footwork) will change.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree. And even within a given style/system stances (footwork) will change.
I believe this has nothing to do with style.

We can have the following weight distribution:

1. 10%, 90%,
2. 20%, 80%.,
3. 30%, 70%,
9. 80%, 20%,
10. 90%, 10%.

We all know that 1 and 10 are extreme. So we just have to pick up one in between. Assume you don't know your opponent's MA style, which one will be you choice?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe this has nothing to do with style.

We can have the following weight distribution:

1. 10%, 90%,
2. 20%, 80%.,
3. 30%, 70%,
9. 80%, 20%,
10. 90%, 10%.

We all know that 1 and 10 are extreme. So we just have to pick up one in between. Assume you don't know your opponent's MA style, which one will be you choice?
Agree. To answer your question it would be fully dependent on what was in front of me.

Latest Discussions