Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The RN has spoken! Yep, I haven't changed anything. Just touching my face less!

And here in Aus it's almost been declared 'pandemic' (which I don't think that it is if I know what that word means..), apparently 42 cases so far with one death. But in all the talk it was said by SOMEone that people should stock up on everyday stuff, about two weeks worth just in case you'll have to stay in.

So guess what has happened? Stores nationwide have been sold out of toilet paper... seriously it's gone mental here with paranoia XD. For some strange reason there's been an obsession with toilet paper specifically!
f95298af7d19161058f17891bfbb517b.jpg
1504f1d9ce03786a5a2a161d7313a7ce.jpg
If the toilet paper supply was actually used up in the community, with no source of resupply, just imagine the hygiene problems.

In the zombie apocalypse, toilet paper is worth more than gold. It’s worth almost as much as clean water.

At the post apocalypse swap meet and supply trade, you will hear, “hey Fred, I’ll trade you this rusty hatchet for six rolls of Charmin...”

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way back when I was still at school I was in a city that had a typhoid epidemic, the roads in and out were closed and manned by the police. Schools were closed ( very long summer holidays for us), streets were empty, we had out summer holiday cancelled but there was no panic, Scottish people are not prone to it anyway. We were all urged to wash our hands just like now. I am one of those people though who cannot eat corned beef because of it.
The 1964 Aberdeen Typhoid Epidemic - Part One - Aberdeen Voice

While I was looking for something to post on the Aberdeen epidemic I found this, the British medical Journal, a very well respected source of medical knowledge, they have free Coronavirus info which I'm going to keep an eye on, there's pieces about the USA response too.
Coronavirus (covid-19): Latest news and resources | The BMJ

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the toilet paper supply was actually used up in the community, with no source of resupply, just imagine the hygiene problems.

In the zombie apocalypse, toilet paper is worth more than gold. It’s worth almost as much as clean water.

At the post apocalypse swap meet and supply trade, you will hear, “hey Fred, I’ll trade you this rusty hatchet for six rolls of Charmin...”
whats wrong with newspaper ? apart from getting an inky bum ! failing that kitchen roll works well, as do wet wipes, which are my choice for the woods, though doc leaves have been untilised on quite a few occasions

i even sat on a toilet that had no toilet paper availabe and stuck cigerete papers together once if it needs any more than a minor wipe you need to consider you diet

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with newspaper ? apart from getting an inky bum ! failing that kitchen roll works well, as do wet wipes, which are my choice for the woods, though doc leaves have been untilised on quite a few occasions

All those would block the sewage system leaving us with an even nastier problem and worse diseases.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All those would block the sewage system leaving us with an even nastier problem and worse diseases.
doc leaves would block the sewarage system ? i doubt it

nor would any of the others for that matter, you dont use a whole sheet of newspaer in one go, you tear it up in to smaller peices,

back in the days when they built the system news paper is all most of the population had

D

Deleted member 39746

Outhouse, problem solved. Just dig a pit in the ground, stick a bucket in it and badabing badaboom your good.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you do with it when your bucket is full?
the bucket is surplus to requirement if you going over the hole , fill the bucket, them fill the hole then put soil in the hole. then plabnt some veg in the soil

its what the whole world did till about 1840

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

When I was younger you hardly ever seen a porta-john at a construction site. Knowing which trees to get your 'toilet paper' from was very important. Hickory leaves, while quite large and good for the purpose, will leave you itching.
Sometimes you were just glad you found some leaves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outhouse, problem solved. Just dig a pit in the ground, stick a bucket in it and badabing badaboom your good.

Or just use water as Asian people do, they consider it cleaner than using paper.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Why put a bucket in it? Dig a deeper hole put a board with a hole over it. Fill hole back in when half full. If you want to interrupt the fly cycle get a good seal to close the hole (like another board) when not in use.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was younger you hardly ever seen a porta-john at a construction site. Knowing which trees to get your 'toilet paper' from was very important. Hickory leaves, while quite large and good for the purpose, will leave you itching.
Sometimes you were just glad you found some leaves.
too much information.

but good advice about the hickory leaves.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasnt strictly on a infectious disease point. But i was proposing some people and some sitautions can lead you to not having access to toilets, or being a pain to travel back and fourth to wash your hands if thats all you want to do. And then pending quality, they could be a hygine issue in themselves. The obvious situation would be first aid when you are out hiking or something, sourcing a point to wash your hands may be difficult so gel would be a viable alternative. (and is listed as such before gloving yourself)

The advice i have got is they are a viable alternative to washing your hands, obviously it would depend on brand and product specfics as i have discussed. (first aid advice as i stated above) The link in question also states it as being a viable alternative if it meets X criteria on a anti microbe perspective.

The one i have, has the alchol you cant drink in it ,chlorhexidine and triethanolamine in it. Given i recall chlorhexidine being in detol spray and other disinfectants (as it is a disinfectant) probability would dictate it is in most cleaners most people buy. If not that one, another dis infectant would be.

Back to the gel i have, it has a statement about killing 99.9% of bacteria which would drive it to be legal territory if the claim is unfounded.

Edit: The obvious presumption people make when they state "get hand sanitizer" is the ones that are anti microbal and actually work for the task.

Also, despite any tone issues, im more just intrested in the conversation at this point. I got dragged away mid writing so its probbly going to be so-so rushed/sloppy and i dont have enough time to edit it fully. So apologies for that one.
Each line/paragraph you wrote about it is incorrect, so just going to go through it for each part.

1. If you are hiking, it is not any tougher to carry ziplocked soap with you then it is to carry hand sanitizer, if you feel the need for something. And you should have water with you, so that's not an issue either. If you're on a multiday hike, you should have ziplocked soap with you.

2. It is not a viable alternative. It is a better than nothing alternative. As in, you use it if you need until you can get to a place with soap, then immediately actually wash your hands.

3. In the link, it even specifies that it is an alternative until you can wash your hands because it is less effective than handwashing. What the link specifies is to use a higher alcohol content gel, if you are going to use a gel. It's like saying "you should drink water, not soda, but if you do, drink X brand because it's healthier than Y brand."

4. I promise you, people do drink those. I've seen it plenty of times.

5. That 99.9% bacteria killing is false.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just saw this morning on the news, at this time the WHO is assessing the lethality of the virus at 3.4%. Don’t know how long it will remain assessed at that level.

Any time The Who speak, I listen.

Townsend.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to feel that way, but they were wrong once and I won't get fooled again.

I can't begin to tell you how funny I thought that was. Oh, my, that made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions