self defense

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been a student of martial arts for 14 years. I have studied Muay thai, BJJ, and TKD. Although I like them all I enjoy TKD the most. I was wondering what other schools do for self defense. My current school does some but having done other martial arts and working at a jail where i need to use martial arts in real situations, I don't feel like the things we have been working on are very effective.

So what does your dojo do for self defense?

TKD'oh

White Belt
Reaction score
We do Hapkido and step-sparring as well.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae kwon Do is a Self Defense art but maybe not the best for your situation. Its a hard style designed to take out your attacker. You may need more close quarter skills and more importantly not so much self defense as controlling. Hapkido is more in that realm.

Dave O.

OP
X

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I figured it would be mostly hapkito. I like all the wrist locking stuff. I feel like it uses a lot of fine motor movement though. I used to be a bouncer down in Indianapolis at a club and tried it a few times without much success. I suppose it requires more practice than i have spent on it to apply because of the fine motor movements. My Judo and JiuJitsu stuff worked a bit better given that whole limbs are used instead of careful finger placement. I am a pretty big guy though so I usually just man handled folks when the need arises but there is always someone bigger.

thanks for the posts.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is kind of unrelated but a friend of mine runs a martial arts school and he offers several different systems of which he holds some type of rank and for people wanting to learn something that does not have belts, takes a relatively short amount of time to become competent in he teaches Krav Maga, including the LE version for local LEO's.

I think he gets a lot of people who start out with Krav, get competent and now that they want something more or something with a little tradition and ceremony.

For LEO's Krav is very popular (with the military too).

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
check out the millitary CQCG systems formed by Hock Hochheim.

"After almost 30 years of real world, hand-on experience and training, in the Year 2000, I began to organize all my fighting tactics and strategies into one comprehensive program called the Close Quarter Combatives Group. The CQCG is made up of four separate, primary foundations, each a 10 level training program:

Unarmed Combat
Knife / Counter Knife Combat
Stick / Counter Stick Combat
Gun / Counter Gun Combat

My central focus is urban, suburban, rural and battlefield fighting winning, survival and self-defense, based upon military and police defensive tactics and the best of martial arts - bridging this gap." -Hock Hochheim, Black Belt Hall of Fame 2001

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I figured it would be mostly hapkito. I like all the wrist locking stuff. I feel like it uses a lot of fine motor movement though. I used to be a bouncer down in Indianapolis at a club and tried it a few times without much success. I suppose it requires more practice than i have spent on it to apply because of the fine motor movements. My Judo and JiuJitsu stuff worked a bit better given that whole limbs are used instead of careful finger placement. I am a pretty big guy though so I usually just man handled folks when the need arises but there is always someone bigger.

thanks for the posts.
Ive found with hapkido (and Im far from proficient at it) , that when done with pin point accuracy and correct stances etc it is really effective , but if done "sort of right" , you can stuff up big time and leave yourself in a vulnerable position. Spend a lot of time working on it and perfecting it though, and its very useful.

Reaction score
Not to be just another voice in the choir here, but... :lol:

I actually train with a guy that is a prison guard... guess what class he takes with me. Hapkido (Combat Hapkido specificly). He gets to use the stuff on an almost daily basis too. Coming from a wrestler background, he's stocky and built like a tree trunk. His arms are like my legs (and I'm primarily a kicker). He loves that these are techniques he doesn't have to muscle into, but he's got the strength if he needs it.

Of course it has its drawbacks... but unless you're trying to subdue someone that's literally crazy, on drugs, wired weird, or too stupid to listen to their own body when it says "OW!!!" it works fine. It's just those rare examples that are likely to break their own arm on your technique when all you want to do is control them.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tae kwon Do is a Self Defense art but maybe not the best for your situation. Its a hard style designed to take out your attacker. You may need more close quarter skills and more importantly not so much self defense as controlling. Hapkido is more in that realm.

Dave O.
Never heard it put that way, but it makes sense. Thanks...