Conroy Nelson RIP

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Conroy Nelson, the Jamaican/Canadian Kickboxer and Boxer has died at the age of 62. After a promising career as a kickboxer, Conroy transitioned to boxing, and was the Canadian Heavyweight champion. Some of his notable fights were with Trevor Berbick and Razor Ruddock. He was an early opponent of a young Mike Tyson. I figured Buka might know him and have a story or two to tell.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May his memory be a blessing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That poor guy had a very tough life. He fought Tyson early in Tyson's career, I think he made twenty thousand for the fight, or something like that.

Poor guy was taken advantage of in the boxing world.

R.I.P.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Poor guy was taken advantage of in the boxing world.
One of many, in fact, probably most. It is a shame and pox on the sport that many promoters and even betraying managers screwed these athletes who sweat and bled and spent their bodies so these guys could make more $$$.

Back then, poor, uneducated and unsophisticated (but honorable and trusting) young men found the fight game to be a possible way out. They knew how to protect themselves against other fighters, but not against those in the fight business who were even more brutal.

In contrast, the upper level of MMA fighters seem to be wiser and better educated in the ways of the world than the boxers of old. Perhaps the sport is inherently more cerebral? I'm not familiar with Nelson, but I feel for him and all the others. Let's hope all of tomorrow's fighters are dealt with respect.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, Rest in Peace Conroy Nelson. I apologize if what I say after detracts from that notion.

I agree with isshinryuronin. Particularly with boxing (although I suspect the same in MMA), they pad the records of "up and comers" by putting them in unfair matchups. It's unfair to those that get stuck with those matchups, not realizing the organizer doesn't think they've got a chance. This system should be better regulated, and all those coming into the field should have a fair chance of proving themselves and gaining experience with those of a similar level. They should also be respected by upper management, as they're where the money comes from.

Again, RIP Conroy Nelson. I never knew you, but I hope you're at peace.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Some people go to the track and play the horses, I had Conroy. It was an adventure" Howard Darwin, boxing promoter.

What most people know Conroy for is his fight with a young Mike Tyson and for being a Playgirl centerfold. They don't know the demons that haunted him, the promoters that took advantage of him. It's a shame that a man who at one time was kickboxing out of the same club as Jean-Yves Theriault, fought against some the best fighters in boxing in the 80's, is only known as being cannon fodder to Mike Tyson.