Conor Mcgregor may box mayweather

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, no one is denying that Conor is a competent boxer. It's just that there is a huge difference between someone whose highest boxing accomplishment was winning an amateur all-Ireland championship at the youth level and someone who has won 15 professional world championships in 5 weight classes, is undefeated in 49 professional fights, and is considered by many to be the greatest pound-for-pound boxer of the last 25 years.

I mean, I'm competent at BJJ, but that doesn't mean I can hang with Marcelo Garcia.

Conor's one advantage is probably his age. He's 11 years younger and more in his physical prime. Even so, it would be a major upset for him to win under boxing rules. (In MMA the advantage would be his, but that fight isn't going to happen.)
Agreed I mean he boxed yeah great and maybe he could win boxing matches against some but mayweather has beaten the best of the best. There's levels to fighting and mcgregor hasn't had a boxing match in a long time and has been training under different rules and learning other stuff. Mayweather has been nothing but boxing training his whole career.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, no one is denying that Conor is a competent boxer. It's just that there is a huge difference between someone whose highest boxing accomplishment was winning an amateur all-Ireland championship at the youth level and someone who has won 15 professional world championships in 5 weight classes, is undefeated in 49 professional fights, and is considered by many to be the greatest pound-for-pound boxer of the last 25 years.

I mean, I'm competent at BJJ, but that doesn't mean I can hang with Marcelo Garcia.

Conor's one advantage is probably his age. He's 11 years younger and more in his physical prime. Even so, it would be a major upset for him to win under boxing rules. (In MMA the advantage would be his, but that fight isn't going to happen.)

True enough but people are forgetting that Conor is a boxer and has trained as such even during his MMA training, which is why we keep seeing the 'MMA' rules, etc type of posts. What we have is a match between two boxers, one yes who has fought as a boxer and done damn well and the other who has competed as an MMA fighter. As I keep saying Conor may win, may not but it is a boxing match between two boxers all the same so why all the querying about kicking, etc? It's only of interest as a boxing match because it's not going to be an MMA fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mcgregor hasn't had a boxing match in a long time

He's never stopped the boxing training though. I agree that's not the same as boxing matches but he has still been boxing.

EMT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think that Pro Boxing will gain more popularity from this fight than the UFC will.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that Pro Boxing will gain more popularity from this fight than the UFC will.
Neither sport will gain any popularity. If it does happen all it is is a freak show fight boxing fans will watch so if mayweather wins they can discredit mma and mma fans will watch so if mcgregor wins they can discredit boxing.

To me I have no interest in watching this fight it doesn't hold any interest to me. I'll look up the result to see who wins but apart from that I have no excitement for it what's so ever. Mcgregor should be defending his title. He's holding up the division by doing this nonsense. Anyone else and they'd have been stripped of the title straight away

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not to do with that, it's to do with the money, it's always about the money.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Uh, guys. This isn't two boxers, as much as some would like to say it is. It's a MMAist and a boxer. Once mcgregor accomplishes something of note as a boxer, he can say he's a boxer. Until then, he is a very accomplished MMAist who has some boxing experience.

I think it's very reasonable to wonder how each would do in the other's wheelhouse. Both are accomplished in their own areas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, guys. This isn't two boxers, as much as some would like to say it is. It's a MMAist and a boxer. Once mcgregor accomplishes something of note as a boxer, he can say he's a boxer. Until then, he is a very accomplished MMAist who has some boxing experience.

I think it's very reasonable to wonder how each would do in the other's wheelhouse. Both are accomplished in their own areas.
Agreed. I guess McGregor is a boxer in a broad sense (like anyone who practices boxing), but not in the same sense that Mayweather is. The outcome seems foregone in either ruleset - McGregor wins under MMA rules, and Mayweather wins under boxing rules. I wonder what ruleset would make things more even.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
McGregor signed ages ago. Floyd on board yet?
So dana white says and we all know his first language is bs. He's been changing his mind on if it happens once a week for months so don't take anything he says seriously

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So maybe he is lying. Doubt it.

I doubt Floyd will sign.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can Mayweather avoid kicks, takedowns, wrestling and groundfighting?
Can McGregor avoid Mayweather punches?

True! Mayweather probably would need a class or two on grappling techniques. But I am sure he must be familiar with MMA tactics!!

It has been decided, rules of boxing shall be followed which gives Mayweather an edge over his opponent!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
True! Mayweather probably would need a class or two on grappling techniques. But I am sure he must be familiar with MMA tactics!!

It has been decided, rules of boxing shall be followed which gives Mayweather an edge over his opponent!
Why must he be familiar with mma tactics...he's a boxer he has nothing to do with any mma

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's a boxing match however and Conor has had plenty of boxing matches, he's been boxing since he was a young un, his original boxing coach was extremely good and well known in Ireland. I'm not sure what people aren't getting about Conor boxing, he wasn't an MMA fighter first, he may or may not win against Mayweather but boxing is something he does know and is practised in. Conor is a boxer!

Useful indeed.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Conor was a boxer before he was an MMA fighter.
But if he reverts and lets Mayweather do the backpedal, backpedal, jab,jab, jab it would be boring as hell. Walking in would really upset the apple cart.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if he reverts and lets Mayweather do the backpedal, backpedal, jab,jab, jab it would be boring as hell. Walking in would really upset the apple cart.

Quite a lot of boxing is boring these days, I don't think they'll care whether it's boring or not as long as people pay to watch. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed if this match happens. Conor is a better boxer than a lot of people think, Mayweather isn't as good as he was so it's probably going to be a very boring match, it's certainly not going to live up to anyone's expectations.

Latest Discussions