Conor Mcgregor may box mayweather

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what people may be forgetting is that Conchúr Mac Gréagóir, (Conor McGregor to you lot), was a boxer long before he got into MMA. he trained under a very reputable boxing coach and has actually more boxing bouts than MMA bouts. Whether he can win against Mayweather is a different question but don't dismiss Conor because you think he can't box.
something to remember to is that someone's 'media personality' isn't always the same as their real private personality, in sports and entertainments that have to sell tickets to survive it's common for larger than life 'personalities' eliciting either love or hatred to be out their selling themselves for ticket sales. Actually hating them or loving them is pointless because you are being sold a product, do you hate care, washing machines, drinks based on the advertisements? Conor is selling this personality he has made up ( along with the UFC) so they can buy tickets, so people can watch him win or lose, it seems like it's doing a good job reading some of the posts here.
As for saying 'he loves money', he grew up poor, he has a family to support and he's doing his best to do that, what exactly is wrong with that? You don't like his public persona? Remember it's not real, hardly anyone in the public eye is 'real', John Lennon used to punch women, Roald Dahl was a nasty racist, Jimmy Savile a serial rapist and paedophile, I could go on.
Stop believing all the hype, not just about Conor but just about every public figure ( politicians are the worst) and see it for what it is. It's a waste of energy hating celebrities and sports people for their public personas.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate that Tez3, but as an Irishman even if it is 'just a spectacle' I find his carry on embarassing :s

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that Tez3, but as an Irishman even if it is 'just a spectacle' I find his carry on embarassing :s

I find Barry McGuigan worse for his anti women's boxing stance as well as his insults towards MMA. There is no reason for you to be embarrassed, you aren't doing what he is, only your behaviour is your responsibility.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find Barry McGuigan worse for his anti women's boxing stance as well as his insults towards MMA. There is no reason for you to be embarrassed, you aren't doing what he is, only your behaviour is your responsibility.

I know it is irrational, but I do wince... I did not know McGuigan said stuff about that - what did he slag Taylor or something?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it is irrational, but I do wince... I did not know McGuigan said stuff about that - what did he slag Taylor or something?

He's said it for years, even when he was actively boxing himself. There was a lot of comments from a lot of male boxing 'personalities' for and against before the London Olympics which were the first to have women's boxing in.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a Mayweather fan or as a McGregor fan do you think if the fight was fought under MMA rules, would McGregor win this easily? or am I just dreaming?
Can Mayweather avoid kicks, takedowns, wrestling and groundfighting?
Can McGregor avoid Mayweather punches?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As a Mayweather fan or as a McGregor fan do you think if the fight was fought under MMA rules, would McGregor win this easily? or am I just dreaming?

I read Mike Tyson saying something, "If the rules of boxing are followed, Mayweather would easily win.."

Mayweather Vs. McGregor
Under MMA rules, Mayweather would be at a huge disadvantage. Under boxing rules, who knows? McGregor is a skilled guy, but in that ruleset, Mayweather is elite.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be worse to be unacceptable. Excusing Conor's poor behavior because someone else is worse is not reasonable. I think Conor has a lot of strong points, but his behavior is embarrassing sometimes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He's said it for years, even when he was actively boxing himself. There was a lot of comments from a lot of male boxing 'personalities' for and against before the London Olympics which were the first to have women's boxing in.
I don't understand the connection. Was Conor fighting as a female at that time?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Conor says things to get a reaction which means his brand sells. McGuigan makes sexist comments because he believes them.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I read Mike Tyson saying something, "If the rules of boxing are followed, Mayweather would easily win.."

Mayweather Vs. McGregor
Irrelevant since no ones talking about an mma match between the 2 it's about boxing

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Irrelevant since no ones talking about an mma match between the 2 it's about boxing
Well, I don't know about irrelevant. That's unnecessarily dismissive. Tangent, sure, but that's not the same thing. Irrelevant would be if we started talking about kittens.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Conor was a boxer before he was an MMA fighter.
If it was MMA rules I would suggest any strategy but to box a boxer, especially this one. Kicking distance or wrestling distance, instead.
The best defence is not to be there. Why fighting a shark inside water if we can choose to do it on land? :)
Personally, I would bet on front kicks and leg kicks.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it was MMA rules I would suggest any strategy but to box a boxer, especially this one. Kicking distance or wrestling distance, instead.
The best defence is not to be there. Why fighting a shark inside water if we can choose to do it on land? :)

What strategy would you suggest if it was boxing?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a boxing match however and Conor has had plenty of boxing matches, he's been boxing since he was a young un, his original boxing coach was extremely good and well known in Ireland. I'm not sure what people aren't getting about Conor boxing, he wasn't an MMA fighter first, he may or may not win against Mayweather but boxing is something he does know and is practised in. Conor is a boxer!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's a boxing match however and Conor has had plenty of boxing matches, he's been boxing since he was a young un, his original boxing coach was extremely good and well known in Ireland. I'm not sure what people aren't getting about Conor boxing, he wasn't an MMA fighter first, he may or may not win against Mayweather but boxing is something he does know and is practised in. Conor is a boxer!
Don't you mean Conchúr is a boxer?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, no one is denying that Conor is a competent boxer. It's just that there is a huge difference between someone whose highest boxing accomplishment was winning an amateur all-Ireland championship at the youth level and someone who has won 15 professional world championships in 5 weight classes, is undefeated in 49 professional fights, and is considered by many to be the greatest pound-for-pound boxer of the last 25 years.

I mean, I'm competent at BJJ, but that doesn't mean I can hang with Marcelo Garcia.

Conor's one advantage is probably his age. He's 11 years younger and more in his physical prime. Even so, it would be a major upset for him to win under boxing rules. (In MMA the advantage would be his, but that fight isn't going to happen.)

Latest Discussions