Connective practice before you train

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious as to whether anyone here starts of their own personal MA training with a particular exercise to help their body be or feel more fluid, relaxed, and connected (in terms of upper and lower body moving as one unit)?

Whether it's a specific kata, breathing exercise, mobility exercise, or just integrative movement sequence that helps them better feel a connection and less tension within their body, I'm curious :)

I used to start all my session with kata Tensho done very slowly and with deep breathing, moreso to help relax my body and help to get grounded and feel rooted in my stance, but I'm wanting to try experimenting with other sequences that help loosen excessive tension so I can move more naturally and fluidly in the session to follow. Obviously it won't fix everything, but it feels it would be a nice intention and starting point of practice.

I guess it's within training that the disconnect is worked on for sure, but curious if any have a specific grounding connective practice they do. Thanks :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our system is built upon such practices. It’s a bit difficult to describe in writing, though.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upper and lower body moving as one unit?
I like to

- guide my opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm, and
- step in my back foot at the same time,

to develop '"forward momentum".

It's a simple footwork and hand/foot coordination drill. It reminds me that my hand should always coordinate with my foot.

Sometime my right hand coordinate with my left foot. Sometime my left hand coordinate with my left foot.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious as to whether anyone here starts of their own personal MA training with a particular exercise to help their body be or feel more fluid, relaxed, and connected (in terms of upper and lower body moving as one unit)?

Whether it's a specific kata, breathing exercise, mobility exercise, or just integrative movement sequence that helps them better feel a connection and less tension within their body, I'm curious :)

I used to start all my session with kata Tensho done very slowly and with deep breathing, moreso to help relax my body and help to get grounded and feel rooted in my stance, but I'm wanting to try experimenting with other sequences that help loosen excessive tension so I can move more naturally and fluidly in the session to follow. Obviously it won't fix everything, but it feels it would be a nice intention and starting point of practice.

I guess it's within training that the disconnect is worked on for sure, but curious if any have a specific grounding connective practice they do. Thanks :)

I watch the Seahawks game. When something happens that makes me angry, that's my warmup. Then BOB takes the beating.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our system is built upon such practices. It’s a bit difficult to describe in writing, though.
That's all good, fair enough! I guess mine would act as a reminder to my whole body and mind's system how to proceed into the session, an active reminder and greasing that groove... and what I'm looking for is hard to describe in writing too haha

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to

- guide my opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm, and
- step in my back foot at the same time,

to develop '"forward momentum".

It's a simple footwork and hand/foot coordination drill. It reminds me that my hand should always coordinate with my foot.

Sometime my right hand coordinate with my left foot. Sometime my left hand coordinate with my left foot.
Thanks bud, that has given me an idea, even without a partner. Perhaps just very mindful walking or moving in stance, and feeling the connection that has to be made for the stance transition to successfully be done...

Like an awareness of everything working together, connecting my breathing with that and letting go of excess tension.

And incorporating gentle hip rotation too I feel will help that connectedness..

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watch the Seahawks game. When something happens that makes me angry, that's my warmup. Then BOB takes the beating.
HAHAHA love it...

I WAS looking for a broad range of different practices.. XD

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I could have an hour long bath whilst drinking a chamomile tea before I train? I'd be down with that!

(I will actually be doing that AFTER I train today if I'm being honest XD )

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks bud, that has given me an idea, even without a partner.
Sorry that I have just taken down my video.

In another forum, I askes someone if he could share some of his information. His respond was, "Why should I give you the information I have worked so hard to get …" His comment made me to feel like a fool.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In another forum, I askes someone if he could share some of his information. His respond was, "Why should I give you the information I have worked so hard to get …" His comment made me to feel like a fool.
Some people are eager to share, others are not. Different strokes. Either way, no need to feel foolish about it.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh no don't be sorry all good, out of respect I will remove the vid from your post that I quoted :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's an exceedingly selfish attitude he's got.

So he's a member of a forum and is happy to take the information offered freely by others but refuses to share what he knows? How much of his 'hard work' includes mooching off everyone else?

I may not agree with everything you post, but I appreciate your attitude toward sharing your stuff.

It's him who should feel foolish, certainly not you.

Around these parts we have a special word* that can be applied to people like him - I'm absolutely 100% certain that it'd get censored and I'd get told off though, so I won't share it...

(* It starts with 'c' and rhymes with 'blunt' ;))

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a few I use, though none with real regularity. I sometimes run the kata (there are 5, all can be done in a few minutes) - sometimes more than once. There are also some movement exercises I've only seen in Aikido (I call them irimi and irimi tenkan - not sure if that's the same terminology used in Aikido), altered to fit the flow and connection I teach. Less often now (though it used to be my primary approach), I just "shadow box" through techniques at random - some striking, mostly grappling) to feel for that connection and flow.

I often use these as the first part of a warm up, both for the practice of them and because it lets me feel where my body is that day. Is my shoulder being a jerk? Do I need to be wary of my knee?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's all good, fair enough! I guess mine would act as a reminder to my whole body and mind's system how to proceed into the session, an active reminder and greasing that groove... and what I'm looking for is hard to describe in writing too haha
We see it as integral to everything we do, so it is constantly being practiced. Some exercises are stand-alone body integration, while that integration then forms the baseline of everything we do. So I guess you could say we practice it with everything that we do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like to use hook punch (or wrist grab, hand block, ...) to test my coordination. Sometime I coordinate my right hook punch with my left foot landing. Sometime I coordinate my right hook punch with my right foot landing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That mentality is on them. Not willing to share is just bad form. Don't sweat someone else's bad Carma.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's an exceedingly selfish attitude he's got.

So he's a member of a forum and is happy to take the information offered freely by others but refuses to share what he knows? How much of his 'hard work' includes mooching off everyone else?

I may not agree with everything you post, but I appreciate your attitude toward sharing your stuff.

It's him who should feel foolish, certainly not you.

Around these parts we have a special word* that can be applied to people like him - I'm absolutely 100% certain that it'd get censored and I'd get told off though, so I won't share it...

(* It starts with 'c' and rhymes with 'blunt' ;))
Not the gender I was thinking of but yea, that works.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a gender neutral term when describing a person or attitude.

For example:

"You, mate, are an absolute *"

"That's a real *ish attitude you've got there, mate"

Just to add to the fun, the inflection applied to the word 'mate' can change it's meaning from one of jovial familiarity to one of utter disdain.

And even more fun:

"How're you doing, you old *"

Can also be a friendly greeting.

The English language can be so entertaining.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a gender neutral term when describing a person or attitude.
Maybe I have the wrong word; Google (and every southern reference I can think of) says it means a woman's genitals. That is what I was thought you were implying.