Concrete Nouns, Abstract Nouns, and Verbs

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mathematics is a set of many rules one applies in given situations a bit like moves in chess...The Sicilian, Albin Counter, King's Indian defense (can you tell I'm just watching Queen's Gambit ?). What makes a good mathematician (or chess player) is applying the most fitting rules in a given situation (or devising new rules). John said he wasn't as good at that as his colleague at Cambridge at doing this who he said 'completely thought in maths" whereas he, a brilliant mathematician 'translated' ideas into maths and back again into thoughts. This is why he changed fields from Cosmology to computational neuroscience and how I got to meet him!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know man? They been flying around for centuries I believe and not made contact yet! Think they have looked down a seen how stupid we are(that does include me) and said hell no!!! I know I would!!!!!
Well, I was abducted by them and have a sore bum as a consequence!:confused:

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Taoism:
Enjoy loving and being loved.
Be peaceful with yourself and others.
Be compassionate with yourself and others.
Have few desires.
Appreciating the feeling of contentment.
You are as rich as the radius of your imagination.
Appreciate the good qualities in yourself and others.
Recognize your own weaknesses and take corrective action.
Worrying the less the better.
Fail to accomplish what you want to do.
Feel reborn each day.
Keep a smiling heart.
Laugh as often as you can, laugh at your own folly as well.
Cry if you feel you need to.
Meditate regularly.
Have a least one good hobby.

Taken from the book”The Tao of voice” by
Stephen chun Tao Cheng.

I am not interested in singing of course but all the above is what I want to learn.

Some of the above are easy then others, but take for example this condition.
Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia. Which I do have, it is very very hard to feel contentment with this condition!! Or failing to accomplish what you want, very very hard to do when you have a conversation with the CEO of a company for 20 seconds and in 2 minutes your out the front door! Thank you for your time!!!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most people on this forum are no doubt familiar with some of the basic English grammar I will be discussing in this post but its always good to refresh such stuff. English obviously consists of words and the words used in the English language fall under different categories. Two of those categories are nouns and verbs.

Now to start off with nouns, nouns are "words that function as the name of some specific thing or set of things, such as living creatures, objects, places, actions, qualities, states of existence, or ideas." To put it simply you could say that nouns are "people, places, or things." Nouns can fall into two categories, concrete and abstract. Words such as "boy," "girl," and "tree" are examples of concrete nouns. Concrete nouns are nouns that you can touch or at least observe with one or more of the five senses. Abstract nouns are non physical nouns that you can't touch or observe with the five senses. For instance, "love," "hate," and "fortitude" are examples of abstract nouns.

Then there are verbs. Verbs are words that function as actions. For instance the words "walk," and "run," are examples of verbs.

Now, there are some words that can be either nouns or verbs depending on how they're used. For instance, the word "building" is one such word. A "building" can be the physical structure or it can be the act of making something. Take for instance the sentence, "Elvis has left the building." In that case the word, "building" is being used as a noun. You can also have a sentence such as, "He is building a sand castle." In that case the word "building" is being used as a verb.

There are also some instances where a noun can be either a concrete noun or an abstract noun depending on how it's used.

Now some people are probably wondering why I've made such a post, well, Im hoping to clear up some miscommunication that sometimes occurs on this forum.

Some relevant background.
Verb
Noun

And we can’t forget Mr. Morton. He’s the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does. :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For example, if you were to say, "Unlike many sport arts, we will teach you skills and techniques that can be used by you in real world situations." This suggests two things: that this school teaches techniques that can be used in the real world, and that sport arts do not.
It also suggests that the speaker is a sports art. 😁 (dangling modifier)

Hey, it’s a grammar thread …

Latest Discussions