Competition and what it means...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to go to 'Vintage Base Ball' games (yes, two words, base ball), and I enjoy the way the game was once played. I found this and thought it was worth passing along.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/24/1c24racersm19420/?features&zIndex=103529

pass-main450_t350.jpg

Both men remember a race in Wichita when a pack of rivals ganged up on Spencer, knocking him to the road. Bigelow turned around, helped his bleeding teammate back onto his bike and shielded him as they battled back into the lead.
At the finish, Bigelow insisted that Spencer cross first. “I'll never beat you when you're hurt,” he said. “I'll wait and beat you when you're at 100 percent strength.”

Great story. Bigelow, by the way, taught karate and says he still works out on the heavy bag - at age 90. Spencer was a US Marine. Tough guys, compete hard, play fair. I miss that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss that part as well and remember the days when you competed and then was friendly afterwards. Man I miss those days.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss that part as well and remember the days when you competed and then was friendly afterwards. Man I miss those days.
True warrior, down to business when it counts, but carry no baggage once the Gi comes off.

Latest Discussions