Compeititon Arts who are they? And where can I find legit rules and regulations for those

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok folks, Aside from the obvious with Tae Kwon Do, and Karate what are some of the other arts that have a good competition circuit going on. And where can I find Official Karate competition rules along with those other arts that have a competition circuit???

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muay Thai. Kickboxing. Boxing. Kung Fu (I forget its name. Starts with an S). Judo. BJJ. And so forth. They all have pretty successful competitions.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok folks, Aside from the obvious with Tae Kwon Do, and Karate what are some of the other arts that have a good competition circuit going on. And where can I find Official Karate competition rules along with those other arts that have a competition circuit???

Cyriacus gave a good list, but to add to it you have Kendo, Fencing, Naginata-do (Atarashii Naginatado), Wrestling, Sanda (that's the one starting with "S"), Sumo, competition shooting, archery, Shui Chao, and about three thousand others. To deal with the second part of your question (where you can find the rules etc), well, from the organizational body for each of the organizations, really. Different karate organizations will use different rules, different TKD organizations use different rules... in fact, most different bodies, even in the same "type" of art, will use different rules. The only exceptions are things like Judo, where all Judo is Kodokan Judo, so they're all the same rule-sets (although there are different rule-sets within that....), or Kendo, for the same reason.

But to find out, the way you do it is as follows:

- Choose an organization/system/art.

- Ask if they do any tournaments.

- If yes, ask what their rule set is.

Trying to go about it the other way just doesn't work, really.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ooh, Chris just reminded Me.

Sambo.
Im not sure how I forgot that. I watch it every couple of weeks, unlike most of the others I listed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
BJJ is like golf in that there are several common rulesets within the sport. There are submission only tournaments, IBJJF rules tournaments, No-Gi IBJJF rules tournaments and also an ADCC ruleset that is often used for submission wrestling tournaments.

Some use points, some don't. There are different techniques allowed in different tournaments, for example, heel hooks are very common in sub wrestling/no-gi, but not often allowed in gi tournaments.

You're asking a pretty big question, even for one martial art. Maybe you could be more specific about what you're looking for and we could be more helpful. All the rules are posted online for BJJ and sub wrestling.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. To clarify what I'm looking for is to see how The Battle of Columbus, Columbus Ohio and others like it, is run with having so many different arts. And wondering how they pull off the tournament with so many different arts and which rules they use.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are no one set of rules used by everyone. Every competition I have been to has its own set of rules; usually very close but different in some aspects. You just have to check each tournament. And I've been to a few where the rules were not printed; the refs told you before you started. A little amateur night, but there you go.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. To clarify what I'm looking for is to see how The Battle of Columbus, Columbus Ohio and others like it, is run with having so many different arts. And wondering how they pull off the tournament with so many different arts and which rules they use.

Tournaments post their rules beforehand so competitors know what they is expected(ie leg kicks, no leg kicks, no leg locks under purple belt, no chokes for juniors, etc.)