Companies that might close

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hate Blockbuster. The whole late fee,restocking fee,no fee,you bought it fee is crazy!!

A little suprised about Claire's(thats the girl hair store right?) I thought girls go there alot.

Riteaid I am not suprised because alot of places are offering pharmacies.
I hear quite alot about Walmart's cheap pharmacy prices(when are we going to deifiy this company)

Sbarro's a little suprised I thought it was the same as Claire's. Alot of people eat there in the malls. I guess they will have to offer a sample of Chicken like everyone else at the food court.

Krispy Kreme I think they should not have opened more stores but expanded on their line inside groccery stores duh!

Sirius radio I am not suprised with all the Mp3's and so on.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too was surprised to see Sbarros on there but the explanation makes sense--foot traffic down at malls, and they can't add breakfast/late night service as easily as Domino's or something.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see blockbuster closing down some branches but I would be surprised to see it go out completley. They seem to have really grabbed the market in many areas.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Riteaid I am not surprised because alot of places are offering pharmacies.
I hear quite alot about Walmart's cheap pharmacy prices(when are we going to defy this company)
When their pharmacy raises their prices... right now my parents can pay $4.00 for a month's worth of their prescriptions (each) whereas anywhere else the price tag can go up to as high as $250 a month (combined) ... so try to beat that if you will.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Macaver I don't know why there is a huge difference in price like that.

I do know if you present the price difference to another pharmacy the other pharmacy usually will verify it and give you the difference in price.

Here in Miami we have a groccery store known as Publix. The pharmacy offers free prescriptions on free antibiotics which for people with insurance may cost roughly $10 to those without insurance or premiums met a good amount of money.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Expect Magna Drivetrain in Syracuse to be gone by Summer. 1400 more jobs gone.

Other companies will 'survive' as foreign zombies.... take Syracuse China, a famous maker of excellent dishware. Thanks to the despicable compost eating execs of parent company Libby, the factory in Syracuse will close around March, throwing hundreds more American workers into the street. The jobs will be offshored, though, and we will soon be importing fake "Syracuse China" made in some alien place.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are lots of these list floating around now. I'll be surprised if Borders Books makes it much longer, they're in bad shape.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buffalo just lost Buffnet, the largest regional ISP and webhost. Lots of people's site went *poof*. Expect hundreds of similar cases as the hosting market shakes itself out (and lots of cheapie hosts realize that a buck a month suicide).

I'm solid though.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob's comment makes me wonder about another business near and dear to many of us.... martial arts schools. I wonder how many will close during this depression because students cannot afford to come.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, a lot of martial arts schools have closed over the past year. A lot of parents have pulled their kids out in order to save money electing instead to engage them in school sports. Hopefully, the trend will not continue.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
What concerns me is that the big box belt factories may weather the storm, while the smaller but quality traditional schools go under.

Here, school sports are being cut back as well.....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The schools that can cut their own costs, will survive, those that can't, won't.
Now isn't the time to max out the credit cards, buy a 60" plasma for the lobby, and bleeding edge pc's for the back office.

But it's time to make sure that your school is as marketable as possible. Clean, well organized, always works. Blow out surplus inventory, sell off older gear, hold some extra camps, etc.

We noted that Starbucks is closing 600 locations. They are also opening 100 new ones. So, they aren't dead yet. Borders has been struggling for a while. Sadly, it's cheaper for me to buy online at Amazon, than use my corporate discount at Borders. Borders had an partnership with Amazon, but has gone off on their own. Their in store inventory has been shrinking, heading more to kids books, gift items and bargain books, while Barnes & Nobel continues to have an excellent selection.

Blockbuster is struggling due to online companies like Netflix, as well as lower priced competition such as Family Video. Why would I rent from Blockbuster for $5 when I can rent from FV for $2? Or wait a couple months and just buy surplus dvd's from BB for 4/$20? (That's how I got half my collection btw)

With Walmart, Target and a few others offering dirt cheap drugs, drug stores selling at "list" are going to suffer. Walgreens recently added their own twist, but it requires an annual membership fee. If I didn't have insurance, I'd get mine from Walmart. $4 beats $65 any day.

Competition is getting tighter, companies are getting leaner. It's a terrible time to be an employee.

But if you're one of the lean and mean, it's a wonderful time, as your bloated competition implode, and you can pick and choose your clients. ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Macaver I don't know why there is a huge difference in price like that.

I do know if you present the price difference to another pharmacy the other pharmacy usually will verify it and give you the difference in price.

Here in Miami we have a groccery store known as Publix. The pharmacy offers free prescriptions on free antibiotics which for people with insurance may cost roughly $10 to those without insurance or premiums met a good amount of money.
In a word... greed.

Bob's comment makes me wonder about another business near and dear to many of us.... martial arts schools. I wonder how many will close during this depression because students cannot afford to come.
Uh-uh, now, now... we're in a RECESSION ... there's a difference... don't confuse the issue. :lol:

Can't tell you what that difference is but that's what they're saying on the hill. :idunno:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The difference between heading towards the edge, and having gone over it.
We haven't gone over yet, no matter how much FUD is out there.

Latest Discussions