Come Get Some... Because it's funny

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At first I got happy and then I got sad when I heard that it was only a challenge to IFT & WTF, I guess Kung Fu and those other fake TMAs didn't make the cut.

Now what's really funny about this, is that the fight wouldn't be with the guy with the beard it's with his friend and partner in crime lol. So much for his skills being tested.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even if I had the extra money to go fight I just wouldn't. I'd donate it to something that matters. He's not worth the time of any real martial artist

-Julian

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where does this kid live? Just curious.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So if he does not upload a video of a challenge fight soon, either he had no takers or he is just full of crap.
yep. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't upload a video of them losing. However, the day that the lose will be the day they have their most popular video.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yep. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't upload a video of them losing. However, the day that the lose will be the day they have their most popular video.

You never know. They could be like the guys on Jackass who make shows out of getting hurt.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
functionaltkd
Taylor Kelly

From his website:

Taylor Kelley is a 4th Degree WTF and ITF Blackbelt with over 15 years experience studying hapkido, taekwondo, gumdo, mma, muay thai, boxing, brazilian jiu-jitsu, and wrestling. During his childhood, Taylor was able to compete in many Taekwondo tournaments, including the Oregon open and winning many awards for WTF sparring and forms competition.

Taylor made the transition to more modern styles shortly after his freshman year in college, and created the infamous/famous matutor youtube channel where he exposed many of the false teachings and practices of traditional martial arts that stirred alot of controversy.

Taylor created an orderly system of martial arts, using the structure of TKD, that still uses the modern approach to fighting techniques. Thus, the Functional Taekwondo Federation was born.

Found nothing as to where he teaches but there are references in his video of Portland.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
At first I got happy and then I got sad when I heard that it was only a challenge to IFT & WTF, I guess Kung Fu and those other fake TMAs didn't make the cut.

Now what's really funny about this, is that the fight wouldn't be with the guy with the beard it's with his friend and partner in crime lol. So much for his skills being tested.

I'd say those two clowns are everything wrong with martial arts in today's world.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess they are becoming concerned about who would show up. So now it's specifically ITF and WTF purist. I thought that they may go that route. The ITF and WTF would be restricted to the rules of their organization while the Muay Thai guy would not be subjected to the same rules.

"We are calling out itf and wtf pureists who believe they have a superior style. Kwon kicker trained muay thai" source comments from their challenge video

Anyone that know Taekwondo from those organizations wouldn't be able to actually use the self-defense components of Taekwondo. For me personally I never hear of an ITF or WTF purist until they made that statement.

The challenge is no longer an entertaining thought. :(

Can you imagine accepting the challenge only to get there only to find out that there are special requirements that you have to be a "purist" in order to qualify for the challenge.
They can't even do a "challenge call" correctly

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess they are becoming concerned about who would show up. So now it's specifically ITF and WTF purist. I thought that they may go that route. The ITF and WTF would be restricted to the rules of their organization while the Muay Thai guy would not be subjected to the same rules.

"We are calling out itf and wtf pureists who believe they have a superior style. Kwon kicker trained muay thai" source comments from their challenge video

Anyone that know Taekwondo from those organizations wouldn't be able to actually use the self-defense components of Taekwondo. For me personally I never hear of an ITF or WTF purist until they made that statement.

Can you imagine accepting the challenge only to get there only to find out that there are special requirements that you have to be a "purist" in order to qualify for the challenge.

They are shifting the goal posts in order to claim that no one can beat their little challenge.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score

I guess I read it a little different. Not necessarily restricting the rules to ITF or WTF but not having crosstrained in other disciplines, i.e. Taekwondo only. That would still allow the use of SD techniques.
But whatever, the whole thing is stupid in any case although I do hope one of these a**hats gets their clock cleaned.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say those two clowns are everything wrong with martial arts in today's world.
Nah, there's lots of individuals and practices in the martial arts which are way worse than anything Taylor or his friend are doing. They're just being young and foolish during an era when it's easy to broadcast your youthful foolishness to a wide audience. They aren't really harming anything but their own reputations.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I read it a little different. Not necessarily restricting the rules to ITF or WTF but not having crosstrained in other disciplines, i.e. Taekwondo only. That would still allow the use of SD techniques.
But whatever, the whole thing is stupid in any case although I do hope one of these a**hats gets their clock cleaned.
They are challenging what they perceive as ITF and WTF taekwondo and any person that doesn't fit that perception will be dismissed with "no that's not the TKD I'm talking about. I'm talking about those who fight with their hands down"

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, there's lots of individuals and practices in the martial arts which are way worse than anything Taylor or his friend are doing. They're just being young and foolish during an era when it's easy to broadcast your youthful foolishness to a wide audience. They aren't really harming anything but their own reputations.

functionaltkd

I beg to differ though, above they are claiming to have martial arts training in all these random styles, (seemingly out of nowhere in the short time they been on the internet). They are making claims that they can "fix" Tae Kwon Do and make it effective for real fighting.

This kind of mentality can really hurt a lot of people because these clowns are in no right to teach anybody anything. I have seen them both spar. they are craptastic, they can do pretty kicks but that's about it.

They were trained in sport Tae Kwon Do and are butthurt that they couldn't hold their water against other fighting arts. Something that happens to everyone once you leave your bubble to be honest. It doesn't mean the style is bad, it means you have training to do adapt what you know to fit your needs. On the website he claims he studied and competing in Jiu Jitsu for years which is a lie, he has nothing to support this claim and when you look at his videos from one year ago, he claims to still be new to the style.

Wow so in one year you mastered it and competed in it and won "Many competitions?"
They are pretty much in the MMA fan boy crowd and trash talk anything that is not common in UFC, yet they themselves bleed ITF WTF Tae Kwon Do nuances and habits that they constantly spout is bad for you and in general ineffective. He is also selling a book he wrote about 100 signs you are in a McDojo, well one of the signs is if your instructor is a 20 year old douche bag who thinks he is Gods gift to Martial Arts. There is so much Irony here it is hilarious.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are challenging what they perceive as ITF and WTF taekwondo and any person that doesn't fit that perception will be dismissed with "no that's not the TKD I'm talking about. I'm talking about those who fight with their hands down"

Even if I were to fit their bill, which honestly I doubt anybody will, they will just move the goal post further and further. I would never take such an idiotic challenge, yeah bros lets fight in the airport. Nothing can possibly go wrong there right?

Latest Discussions