Columbia's Final Minutes

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
I don't deny that sweat shops exist in the Third World, or that products are sold in America from them. I'd happily boycott a product or distributor if I was presented with believable evidence that they sold such items. I'll write my Congressman. I'll work the Internet. I'll speak openly and loudly against such injustices... when provided specifics of same.

The information is out there if you want to find it. Most people don't want to know. It's easier that way. Imagine going to Wal-mart and thinking, "Gee, someone's kids are getting whipped to make me this cheap product." Instead we hear, "low low prices everyday! Come to Wal-mart its okay!"

I don't think you understand economics. We demand low prices. Companies with morals can produce goods at a certain price because they refuse to cross certain lines. Meanwhile, other companies who do not feel this way, produce products that are cheaper because they exploit their workers. When we buy these products, knowingly or unknowingly, we SUPPORT this process.

You might as well hold the whip. You might as well put the gun to their heads. You might as well slap the chains on their ankles. If you buy those products, it is YOUR FAULT and you SHOULD feel guilty.

We have to stop telling ourselves that its not that bad. We have to stop telling ourselves that its part of their "development." This is nothing but an attempt to weasel out of any personal responsibility for worldly ills. The only way a small portion of the worlds population can consume a vast chunk of the worlds wealth is through tyranny. I am not going to be a tacit supporter of something that I know is wrong.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After the recent 'Illegal Employee' scandal at Wal-Mart. I have decided not to shop there.
After the 'Super Wal-Marts' rolled into town, I have decided to not shop there.
After the strike's in the Southwest, I have decided not to shop at Wal-Mart.
After I read that Wal-Mart managers locked there janitors in the store, I have decided not to shop there.

I'll take my money to the local hardware store.
I'll take my money to the local camping store.
I'll take my money to the local fishing store.
I'll take my money to one of the ever fewer local grocery stores.

Mike

R

rmcrobertson

Bad news, upnorth--I don't think YOU understand economics. Why? because, capitalism 101: capitalism is not, in and of itself, an economic system with the slightest investment in morality. Capitalism is interested in the production, accumulation, and exchange of capital. Businesses are interested in the bottom line. Stockholders are interested in profits.

You're thinking about "enlightened self-interest," which was always a bad joke anyway.

Fact is, "moraity," as such is at best a side effect of capitalism.

Personally, I think Mike is exactly right. Shifting your trade is about the best we can do.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that Marx said it best. "Humanity is a casuality of capitolism."