Colored belt ambassadors

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I help with new students it strikes me how much the colored belts affect the overall experience of the rookies. The instructor and black belts are in charge, but are also a little intimidating because they are so senior. What do colored belts do that makes a difference?

-Greet new people and get to know them. Occasional specific praise is very reinforcing for anyone new.
-Partner with new people rather than just friends or cliques.
-Work with less experienced students at their level of technique, as a more experienced partner, never condescending (sparring, partner drills, etc.).
-Take initiative to help when they see a need--without being asked (but within their authority).
-Remember that everything they do is setting an example. The newer students in the row behind them are watching and copying the more senior student's movements

Colored belts are like older siblings--taking the same path as the beginner but have travelled further. Some colored belts grasp the above ideas naturally and some need coaching, but it seems like a very important component of a healthy school.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I help with new students it strikes me how much the colored belts affect the overall experience of the rookies. The instructor and black belts are in charge, but are also a little intimidating because they are so senior. What do colored belts do that makes a difference?

-Greet new people and get to know them. Occasional specific praise is very reinforcing for anyone new.
-Partner with new people rather than just friends or cliques.
-Work with less experienced students at their level of technique, as a more experienced partner, never condescending (sparring, partner drills, etc.).
-Take initiative to help when they see a need--without being asked (but within their authority).
-Remember that everything they do is setting an example. The newer students in the row behind them are watching and copying the more senior student's movements

Colored belts are like older siblings--taking the same path as the beginner but have travelled further. Some colored belts grasp the above ideas naturally and some need coaching, but it seems like a very important component of a healthy school.

Its how things should be! I think that it is sign of a good school were people get what TKD is all about.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The inbetween guys are more approachable than the BBs, still awe inspireing but not so far removed from the beginning.

I found that many white belts are really quiet around the BBs, but actually dare to ask questions when it's a green belt or so.

Kinda made me laugh at times, too: I was struggling with hook kicks and spin hook kicks when a adult white belt asked me if I was as uncoordinated as she was. Made my day because I thought I stumbled around like a drunk monkey.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...both awesome and dangerous at the same time.

That's why I posted this. It may not be ideal from an instruction point of view, but it's real about how we learn and relate to others. As a 47 year old blue belt, my perspective is from the ranks rather than from the front. I see how this kind of interaction is important for instructors to be aware of so they can monitor or manage it. Done right, I think it makes for a great school.

Latest Discussions