class size

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In your opinion what is a good class size for 1 instructor? Adults and kids classes. How many people are in your class? Instructors input welcome. Thanks. Rachel

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Rachel. I teach only children ages 4 through 11. Depending upon what you're teaching that particular day, class size doesn't matter.

My 4 year old class is usually six little boys and that is probably optimum for their age and attention span - the class is a half hour, which is more than enough for them.

For the older kids, if we're doing techniques or forms, there can be any number of kids, as long as they have a partner or group (3 usually) to work with. If we are doing drills, the same applies. If there are lots of kids attending class we try to keep them occupied but -- kids being kids -- they like to fool around, and that is not limited to the boys, I'm sorry to say! I like ending classes where they've done well with relay drills, which they LOVE. Also tires them out for their parents:boing1:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our 'Adult Class' averages 6 - 8 adults ... and 6 - 10 teens. At the same time the adults are working out ... the children's class is taking place on the other side of the studio ... between 10 - 20 children under the age of 12.

Usually there are three or four instructors around (2nd Black & Higher) ... One instructor for the adults ... two for the children ... and they kind of float around as needed.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
For childrens classes we can have around 10 to 16 or so kids in one class at a time and we normally have 2 - 3 Instructors per class who take turns in front of the class and also helping out while the other is taking the class. Works well.

For Adults anything from 10 - 20 plus at a time, with 2 Instructors plus black belts to help if necessary

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found when I did Judo at 10, there was such a bug class, over 30 kids and it was very hard to learn anything. But since doing Kung Fu, class sizes vary and usually doesn't go above 20 but my instructor will split the beginners from the more advanced and I'm in the more advanced.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only experience in teaching a class has been in very small groups. about 10 kids under 12, and less than 8 adults. However when dealing with kids I have found it is easier for me to work in as small as groups as possible.

- Josh -

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our noon class is usually 6-8 dedicated people. Thats a good number. When it swells to 20-25, no room for forms, we usually just do strength training by ourselves or back and forth with a partner (little crowded) or sparring in turns (not a good workout-then). There's not enough equipment for when it gets over 16 and thats sharing a bag. We have stand up bags, Bob's, kick/punch shields, paddles, adjustable hanging balls attached to walls for target practice-8 of those, balls to throw up in the air and spin heel to. Personal attention from the instructor goes out the window when the class gets too big. Then its a matter of who raises their hand first and as black belts, we are last on that list. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a 10 to 1 ratio (one instructor per 10 students) usually. There's the main instructor, then a couple of senior ranks/black belts floating around to help out.

Latest Discussions