Class Payment question

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
O.K. to start things off I am not complaining really, but, I do have a questiion of ethics sort-of. My Sensei is also my brother and the Turkey refuses to accept payment for training from me. Most of his other students pay every month (Some don't because they "trade" work for training). I feel kind of odd training for nothing even though he is related. We both swap work with each other (He's a plumber, I'm an electrician) but have never kept track of actual hours or anything. I only bring this up in this forum because of the number of instructors here. What would be something that every school needs on a regular basis that I could "pick-up" for him? I want to be fair to him, after all he is my brother and my Sensei and he has worked hard to open his own school, and even harder to keep it open. Any thoughts??????????

Thanks everybody in advance, I am at a loss here.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is good that you realize that you owe him something special! First you should train very, very hard to show your appreciation for what he is doing for you. Then maybe, you can look around the Dojo and see what it could use. Maybe extra mats, weapon racks, etc. I bet your brother would be thrilled if you were to help him out in that manner. Good luck!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would feel the same way about some kind of repayment if I were also a student beside a sister (in my case). But I also would not require my sister to pay me either. (as that can get into hard feelings when something isn't repaid).

So, I would slowly buy mats-those puzzle mats are 4 a pack and every school seems to need them. I bought them for my school because of my wear and tear on my joints. They have benefited everyone. Just a thought. TW

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great comments from above. Your brother loves you and is proud you are learning from him. Except the NO payment.

One day you will be able to him in return when you acheive your Black belt and be able to assist him in teaching his classes.

Most important he believes what he is teaching too you? ..may help save your life one day. All of us who trains in the martial arts...wishes all our family member learn too.

There are some things if life...we give each other and expect nothing in return...except maybe ......a big THANK-YOU.....Thank him at ever class....and one more way to thank him is by training very hard....Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
he's your brother and your friend -- you'll never get him to accept money. but your friendship, support and advice are gifts you've given him your whole life. i'm certain the pride he feels in watching you train (and that you'd accept his training) is another huge gift to him.

from time to time, you'll find opportunities to help him grow his school, or help make an event easier. that's the best thing you can do.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Getting the occaisional gift for the school is a good idea.
The more you can talk up the school and refer students to the school would be a great way to pay back.
Get fliers/brochures and hand them out when you can.
These are things that are hard to put a price tag on but any owner would surely appreciate!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do not question Sensei's decision.:ultracool As stated, there are MANY ways you can "pay" for your training. If you feel that bad about it, you could always stash some cash in his pants pocket after he's changed clothes for class, and deny all knowledge of it if questioned.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with many of the above folks. Family does things for family. The fact that you have a family who cares about one another is wonderful. I completely get your discomfort, also. Finding ways to contribute to the dojo is a great way of helping him out. Maybe trying to look at it as giving back to the art & helping the other students.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input! I was thinking of getting some things for the Dojo, but wasn't sure. As of this afternoon I placed an order for a few of the bigger kick shields and they are just going to turn up there. His students are a great bunch and have also done things like this (and more), so there is no telling where items come from for him. I like the idea of fliers/brochures, and have a good friend that is the graphics desinger for a local print shop that does everything from coffee mugs to business cards so that is a great idea. Plus he already designed the schools logo so he has all that on hand already.

Like I said already, thanks bunches for all the great ideas. :ubercool:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Thanks for all the great input! I was thinking of getting some things for the Dojo, but wasn't sure. As of this afternoon I placed an order for a few of the bigger kick shields and they are just going to turn up there. His students are a great bunch and have also done things like this (and more), so there is no telling where items come from for him. I like the idea of fliers/brochures, and have a good friend that is the graphics desinger for a local print shop that does everything from coffee mugs to business cards so that is a great idea. Plus he already designed the schools logo so he has all that on hand already.

Like I said already, thanks bunches for all the great ideas. :ubercool:

Glad to help !!!

Latest Discussions