class outdoors

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone teach class outdoors, say in the parking lot or on the sidewalk?
Do you have students do ideal phase techniques or do you have them do phase 2 or 3? I appreciate all input.

Kevin Kilroe

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In an article years ago, Mr. Sullivan told of taking his class {late 60's-early 70's} outside to a dimly lit alley way and practicing the techniques in steet clothes. If I remember correctly it was somewhat of an eye opening experience. Things from lack of mobility due to restrictive clothing, to the low light conditons and the loss of stability due to the surface material. You must train to be able to defend yourself under the conditions that you are most likely to be attacked under. If I come across Mr. Sullivan's article I will post the source and date.

EKP RIP
Big Pat

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my school we train indoors on carpet over concrete bearfoot. We have, on special occasions, taken classes on "field trips" to the alley out back, or to a park nearby to conduct class. We have also had several seminars at the local park. On one occasion I took the kid's class outside and threw snowballs at them and had them punch and kick them out of the air.

I think it's important to train in a wide variety of environments and in a wide variety of apparel. For logistical reasons we almost always have class in the studio, but on occasion we mix it up.

-Rob

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a very good thing to train outside (on hills, in between cars, parking lots, elevators, etc.). It brings a whole different level to your training and shows you what your environment with be in those situations. Even training in class with shoes better prepares you. It's much different doing techniques barefoot and then doing them in shoes.

Just my two cents,
Bill Smith

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kevin kilroe said:
Do you have students do ideal phase techniques or do you have them do phase 2 or 3? I appreciate all input.

Kevin Kilroe

I train outdoors on a regular basis with one of my training partners. Not only is it good to be out in the fresh air, but it gives you the chance to workout in something other than a gi and barefoot. You're definately gonna get a different feeling due to the clothing that you're wearing and the ground that you're on.

Putting yourself through some senario training will only improve your fighting skill.

Mike

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the summer we train outside every class. Our area is wide enough for 5 people wide and 3 deep, lined up, part of the area is grassy, and slopes down to a 2nd level which is hardpacked dirt and some grass. We can work twist stances nicely when using the cement curb that seperates the levels. Sparring is most entertaining especially after a rain.. Students wearing white gi's wear their opponents muddy footprints for all to see where they got 'hit'. The other night a Blue belt was sparring and wore brand new white sneakers, His feet glowed in the dark.. he chuckled and said.. "No wonder I never got a kick in on anyone.. they could see my foot coming and got outta the way :D

It's great to be outside, the different terrains underfoot and hand, We do takedowns and nobody has gotten injured other than a scrape here and there. Everyone leaves with a happy attitude and of course, punching mosquitoes outta the air does help with hand eye coordination and speed ;)

~Tess

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We used to run classes outside. It was great training in the park, their were varied surfaces and uneven ground, trees in the way, it was great learning method.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kevin kilroe said:

Kevin Kilroe

I love to work out outdoors!!! Especially late at night under the moon. Very nice.
Actually our school floor is cement, so outdoors is where we can really open up. I love it. (did I mention that?)
Your Brother
John

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Last week, about an hour before class, it rained really hard. So, when we went into the back yard training area, that has had most of the grass killed due to our classes, it was a bit muddy. That was the best sparring class we have had in a long time.

S

Shurikan

We train outside 1 class every 3 months come rain, snow, or sunshine. It is a real eye opener for some students when they go to step off into a stance and slip in the snow, they learn real quick to keep there weight centered. We also use different surfaces such as a park then next time a parking lot.

K

kenpohands

I only train outdoors. On Sat AM we meet at the Park in Glendora, We workout in the wind, heat ,rain, snow it does not matter. Grass weeds,cement, gravel. We change footing all the time. No Uniforms, just street clothes. Try doing techniques full out in the on the slippery grass, great fun.
Salute

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't get outside as much as I'd like, though in the summer, we are partially outside as we work out of a garage and keep the door open to use part of the driveway. At my other school, we sometimes go to the local park or on camping trips and get to work outside. I find that it really helps with katas.......inside, we tend to get too used to level surfaces and also which direction we are facing for certain moves. Getting outside gives you plenty of space to practice facing different ways during your katas. Fun to get out of the dojo sometimes to just to be out in nature and away from the same old atmosphere all the time. I think it would be fun to take a class to the ocean sometime and practice in the sand and waves!!

:asian: :karate:

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We haven't done classes outside, but about half of the BB test is conducted outdoors. Its quite a different feel doing techniques and forms in a field, in the woods, on the side of a hill, etc. Battling is also interesting, the environment provides all sorts of weapons and challenges. Imagine sparring with someone who picks up a rock or 4' stick and comes at you. Or going to the ground and dealing with all the debris, holding someone in the guard isn't as comfortable when your laying on rocks and roots.

O

OC Kid

Thats where I teach is in my backyard and or garage either on the concrete patio or the lawn or inside the garage. We wear shoes also during training.

I am currently running some summer classes at a rec center and when they end the end of this month. Il tell the students if they want to continue then they can join my class outside. I really like it. At first it felt a little strange but now its great. We do it year round in the wiinter here it only gets down to the 40s and after warming up we take all our sweaters off and train in T shirts. Dont even notice the cold.

Latest Discussions