West Coast Kenpo Confederation 7-31-04

O

ob2c

I was hoping that someone a little higher in rank than me would post about the Confederation event. It was awesome! My thanks to the IKCA for sponsoring this, and for all those who generously helped, both officially and unofficially.

Friday night they rented a room and several of us worked out on our own. A lot of people I still don't know helped and gave pointers. One of them was Howard Simms (I hope I got his last name right), a world class competitor. I also worked with Paul Metz and some of his students, from Wisconsin. The seminar hadn't even started, and I was already seeing some excellent Kenpo. One person tested for 4th, and everyone was bowled over by his Master Form. No words can describe what I saw there.

The first hour of the seminar was for us to get brought up to speed for our IKCA level requirements. Again, Mr. Metz took the lower belts ( I just started recently, and am at Orange level ) and did an excellent job taking us through our basics.

After that, the opening ceremony and then we were free to pick the classes we wanted. There were four 1 hr. classes going at all times for 6 hrs., and four 1/2 hour classes at the end. I saw that one of the grappling classes was a little light- almost a 1/1 ratio instructors and students- so I went there. Mr. Bob Barnett introduced us to BJJ. Well done and very informative. Got some idea of ground principles and a few basics.

Next, I went to Ground Fighting with Mr. Shaun Monday. He does Sambo, and competes in MMA limmited rules events. There was another Sambo practitioner there, who does it purely as a self defense art. Wish I could remember his name. But they sort of extemporaneously bounced ideas off each other and helped us to practice. We got to contrast what we'd done in BJJ, the Sambo, as well as some of the differences in sport and combat applications. I got a lot out of that class.

Ofcr. Jim Allards Weapons Disarm class was next. He only worked one pistol disarm. But it was effective from inside or out, front or back. I was very impressed.

At 1:00 I ate lunch. I figured I'd watch Mr. Monday's class while I ate. Instead, I crammed it down and got back into class. I should have known, I guess. It was as good the second time around!

Mr. LeRoux's Stick and Knife. I've worked with Kali and Modern Arnis guys before, and was paired with a BB that I'd worked with in some other classes who also had experience in the FMA's. How could that combination be anything but excellent?! The rest of the seminar should have been anti climactic.

Not so! SGM Steve Muhammad, GM Donny Williams, and Mr. Temple and some of the senior students from the BKF were next. I don't know what to tell you about them. If you've seen them, you know why I have trouble explaining the way they fight. If not, do what ever it takes to see them in person.

The last class was only 1/2 hour, since we had to clear the room early. But it was the key slinger class with Mr. Sullivan. 1/2 hour with Mr. Sullivan is like an hour with most anyone else for quality instruction. And that key slinger is effective.

I missed the Life Size Dummy(Paul Metz), IKCA Form(Chuck Sullivan), Business(Jim Buhisan), Freestyle(Antak and Parsons), and American Kenpo(Dian Tanaka) classes. But I hear that everything there was the same quality standard instruction.

They provided dinner, from KFC. We sat in the courtyard and fellowshiped, and I got to meet a lot of good people from all over.

Again, my sincere apreciation to everyone there for an outstanding learning experience. Special thanks to Mr. Paul Metz and his students for allowing me the privilage of working with them (and I sincerely mean privilage!). Also to Mr. Shaun Monday for the extra info and time, and allowing me to pick his brain the next morning as well. To Brenda King, who gave me some pointers on grappling as well, and all like her who shared their experience and knowlege while there to learn themselves. Of course, to SGM Sullivan and GM LeRoux for all they've done. And to every one who helped make this such a successful seminar.

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much for posting on the IKCA event. Maybe, someday I will make the trip up and get to meet Mr. Sullivan and LeRoux.

EKP RIP
Big Pat
:asian:

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OB2C: I couldn't agree with you more. I was there for the day on Saturday, and it was one of the best seminars I have attended. I've been studying Kenpo for 3 years, but just joined the IKCA recently - mostly for fellowship and networking with other Kenpoists. I really wasn't sure what to expect, although I have met and talked with Messrs. Sullivan and LeRoux at other events, and always found them open, friendly and willing to take the time - with an outsider and an unknown like me - and share whatever they could. This convention just proved what a wonderful organization they have fostered. I've never experienced such commraderie and heartfelt desire to help another, as I saw that weekend. I don't believe I could comment further on the fine instructors and seniors without it being redundant to your post, but I'm here to tell anyone that is curious, the IKCA and its members are a class act!

I'm quite proud to say I'm a member, and I look forward to future confederations and seminars hosted by these truly great men.

Yours in Kenpo.....

Garry

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a thrill to see what a success this event turned out to be. It sends out a clear message: It's not about people, it's not about associations, it's about KENPO. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the essence of the event was seeing how an individual's Kenpo skills could be integrated with a variety of arts, subjects and scenarios. Isn't that the goal of what we do? To see how what we've learned can be applied.

Full formal salute to SGM Sullivan and GM LeRoux for bringing together such a dynamic group of people. Already making plans to be there next year.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP
O

ob2c

bdparsons said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the essence of the event was seeing how an individual's Kenpo skills could be integrated with a variety of arts, subjects and scenarios.

I'd say you are correct, that was one of the main themes. I was not surprised to find that most of those attending had experience in other arts. Many came to the IKCA with a background in American Kenpo and a variety of other styles, and most I talked to who were at BB level went on to add other arts to their Kenpo. Several schools taught IKCA Kenpo along with other systems. I've recomended thie IKCA system to people as a way to enhance their base, so it was gratifying to see that others are indeed doing this. Other systems integrate extremely well with Kenpo, and the IKCA carriculum makes it a lot easier. I think one big reason is Kenpo's focus on understanding principles. When you are used to dealing with principles already, it is much easier to extract and blend them effectively with multiple systems.

:CTF:

OP
O

ob2c

Rob Broad said:
Sounds like it was a great event. Hopefully the event will continue to grow.

This was one of the best! One of the reasons it was so good is that they limmited the enrolment so that there was no overcrowding in the classes. Originally, I believe they were only going to take 80 participants. But they accepted about 100, and added classes and rented anothr room. The instructor/student ratio was high in most of these classes, and with other guests there were easily a couple of hundred people there (my guess).

There was also a scheduling conflict with the IKC event going at the same time, which detracted a little from another main theme of bringing the Kenpo family together. Unfortunate, but for those that attended I think it worked well. I'd have liked to go over on Sunday and at least seen some of the IKC. But I had to get back.

I'd like to see the event grow as well, but I don't know how much it can grow without effecting the quality of the experience. This really impressed me in that their primary focus was on giving an excellent seminar that was affordable to those attending. I've paid almost as much as they charged for 3-4 hr seminars with everyone crammed into one room and only one instructor plus a few assistants.

Sorry to keep going on, but I really can't say enough about the experience.

Latest Discussions