Christopher Colombus (Split from Taekwondo isn't from Karate...thread)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn it, I had a few requests too. Nothing too complicated. Just having enough money to never have to worry about money again and enough be able to buy and do whatever I want whenever I want. Within reason, of course.

Is that really too much to ask?
The Hobbit and I keep wondering that same thing. It seems a small thing.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Damn it, I had a few requests too. Nothing too complicated. Just having enough money to never have to worry about money again and enough be able to buy and do whatever I want whenever I want. Within reason, of course.

Is that really too much to ask?

I've come to feel rich people telling you "you don't want all this money, it only brings problems". Is a way of keeping poorer people, in check. After all, there are more poor people than rich.

Socially, there should be safe, affordable housing for all people.

One verse of the Tao Te Ching had me messed up, for awhile:

...On the path to enlightenment, there should be no wanting and not wanting...

The problem I had with it was, our wanting is what makes us human. Our desires help fuel our progression. We might as well all be living in caves, no running water/heat/electricity.

Anyway, I've adjusted and while I might not run out and buy that brand new curved screen 120" LCD TV, out of wanting; that is will be the replacement for when my current TV breaks.

Jon

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've come to feel rich people telling you "you don't want all this money, it only brings problems". Is a way of keeping poorer people, in check. After all, there are more poor people than rich.

The problem I had with it was, our wanting is what makes us human. Our desires help fuel our progression. We might as well all be living in caves, no running water/heat/electricity.

Anyway, I've adjusted and while I might not run out and buy that brand new curved screen 120" LCD TV, out of wanting; that is will be the replacement for when my current TV breaks.

Jon
The wealthy and rich folks I've known always said quite the opposite: "If you get a chance, you've gotta try this!"

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jon
You bring up some very good points. There’s the saying “money isn’t everything.” I highly doubt that was ever said by a parent who had no idea where dinner was coming from that night. Sure it’s not everything, but it’s definitely important. Homes, food, clothing, etc. all cost money.

I know enough wealthy people. I mean genuinely wealthy. They’ve got their inherent problems too. A college friend’s father has an American Express black card. He couldn’t help but wonder sometimes who was genuinely his friend and who was looking for a handout. As for dating women, that was a million times worse. He’s a great guy and has a great head on his shoulders, but not everyone else does.

Another thought...

Looking at my friends and family my age, there’s a common theme. The day to day crap we don’t want to do runs us down. Grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, fixing stuff around the house; stuff like that. Having enough money to pay someone to do that stuff for you would definitely cut down on a lot domestic squabbles. I like cooking dinner and fixing stuff now and then, I’d love to be able to do that stuff when I feel like doing it instead of when I have to do it. And someone else doing that stuff for us leaves a lot more time to do fun stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The wealthy and rich folks I've known always said quite the opposite: "If you get a chance, you've gotta try this!"
Money. I'd much rather have it than not.

But, I have to ask, what's the difference between rich and wealthy?
Just out of curiosity, what's the threshold for being rich, in your opinions?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I picked up a rough distinction from folks in and near those categories, so there's not a specific threshold. "Rich" is having enough money that you never have to think about it. "Wealthy" is having enough money your kids won't ever have to, either. Basically, if it's enough (barring extreme mismanagement) to change the financial standing of your entire family line, it's "wealth".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up a rough distinction from folks in and near those categories, so there's not a specific threshold. "Rich" is having enough money that you never have to think about it. "Wealthy" is having enough money your kids won't ever have to, either. Basically, if it's enough (barring extreme mismanagement) to change the financial standing of your entire family line, it's "wealth".
I always pictured it the opposite. Wealthy is knowing that you're set. Rich is being way way way above set.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I always pictured it the opposite. Wealthy is knowing that you're set. Rich is being way way way above set.

I always thought they were interchangeable.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Growing up in Texas, me and my friends had a simple test for being such. All you had to have was one of these three things: a theater in your house, a bowling alley in your house, or an indoor pool. Pretty straightforward.

Never heard any distinction between rich and wealthy before. I guess we are rich.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until I had these kinds of discussions with people with money, I'd never given the distinction any thought. But as I think about it, you can "get rich" (we even talk about "get rich quick schemes"), but you rarely hear about someone "getting wealthy". Though the term "wealth management" really just refers (in banking) to managing reasonably large sums of money.