Christians told to have more hot sex ...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I've got a question for those of us who may be a little more religiously versed...

As far as I understand the sex prohibition or all around negativity thing, it is reletively recent. Apparently, there is artwork that depicts early Christians having a grand old time with one another.

This apparently changed when the Church was consolidating its power in the middle ages. The pagans were using sex to connect with the gods and goddesses of their particular belief systems and the Church did not like this. They wanted their clergy to be the sole arbiter of the devine, thus the whole concept of individuals touching the divine by themselves had to go.

Apparently, as far as I understand it, sacred text was changed and the sacred feminine was turned into an evil thing. A good example of this is the Adam and Eve story. This was one of the products of the biblical updates and it was specifically designed to cast women and sex in a negative and evil light.

Anyway, religion is not a strong subject for me, so I probably just massacred all of this. So, FWIW...

upnorthkyosa

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I've got a question for those of us who may be a little more religiously versed...

As far as I understand the sex prohibition or all around negativity thing, it is reletively recent. Apparently, there is artwork that depicts early Christians having a grand old time with one another.

This apparently changed when the Church was consolidating its power in the middle ages. The pagans were using sex to connect with the gods and goddesses of their particular belief systems and the Church did not like this. They wanted their clergy to be the sole arbiter of the devine, thus the whole concept of individuals touching the divine by themselves had to go.

Apparently, as far as I understand it, sacred text was changed and the sacred feminine was turned into an evil thing. A good example of this is the Adam and Eve story. This was one of the products of the biblical updates and it was specifically designed to cast women and sex in a negative and evil light.

Anyway, religion is not a strong subject for me, so I probably just massacred all of this. So, FWIW...

upnorthkyosa

The early Christian tradition of agape, love feasts, was directly derived from Dionysian religious festivals.

However, to the best of my knowledge, the ritualistic "orgies" you describe may have been practiced by a few early sects of Christianity, but I doubt they were common practice. The truth is that early Christianity, contrary to the historical myths modern "believers" may choose to subscribe to, was a very diverse, varied, and multifaceted movement ---- some were ascetic, some were hedonistic, and some were moderate.

Despite the hundreds of "denominations" that exist in the world, there was probably even more diversity and disagreement among early Christians than there is today. The idea of a monolithic "apostolic succession" or "one faith" is a revisionist myth.

Laterz.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:O

Wow. Well, there was a song asking "What if God was one of us?".

I always thought it was just an innocent song but now......... :O

No wonder it's called "Friendly Discussion of the Martial Arts".

Vvvveeeeeerrrrryyyyyyy iiiinnnnttteeerrreeesssstttttiiiiinnnnnnggggg.........

PLUS!!!! He gives out Black Belts!! I guess rank isn't always meaningless afterall....... :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehehe....

I saw a thing on Rome that seemed to indicate that the "change" in attitude was tied to the rise of Christianity, where the older Roman beliefs would worship in a physical means, shall we say, where as the Christians taught something along the lines of overcoming that nature to be closer to their god.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now THAT really makes a person want to convert!

Oh, HELL YEAH!!! I think we've finally found a way to put the TMA vs MMA debate....to bed. Nothing like a little Christian Love Feast to calm people down!!! Now, if Bob Hubbard is God, doesn't that mean that Bob Hubbard is telling Christians to get wild and freaky with their spouses?

Martial Talk - Marriage Therapy, Friendly Discussion, World Peace.....

Talk about a noble goal!!

:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, theres "cuddling" in all those.....LOL

hmm.... maritaltalk.com..... LOL

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, marital therapists have included helping couples with their sex lives for years - since the Catholic Church doesn't (officially) allow divorce, then it is in their best interests to improve marital happiness - at least, that's my personal opinion on it. Of course, being Jewish, I could be way off base here, too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, theres "cuddling" in all those.....LOL

hmm.... maritaltalk.com..... LOL

Then did say on high that Christians need to have more hot sex, saying, "Bless this, O Bob, that with it thou mayst allow Christians to have more hot sex, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But to, heaven forbid, enjoy the erotic arts within the constraints of marriage for a reason that does not necessarily reproduction....that's the scandal ;)

No no, thats Catholics. As a Christian, I enjoy sex for various reasons, Reproduction, Ceremonial, Too much Beer, etc...

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL!!!OK. There might be some crazy funny people on these boards......Just so you all know..... ;)

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yo, guys, not sure where some folks are getting their information on sex being 'anti-Christian', but the Bible quite clearly encourages husbands and wives to enjoy the full pleasure of marital relations (*boinking* especially).

'Song of Solomon' has already been referred to. It's a very short book in the Bible, but guaranteed to make any Victorian prude blush 18 shades of deep red. In fact, I'm not sure how freely I can discuss it on a 'family' martial arts website. Read it, then think about what other topic you can name that gets an entire book in the Bible devoted to it.

Other books in the Bible also freely refer to the joys of sex. The book of Proverbs commands the husband to "drink", "be refreshed", be "ravished", and be "satisifed" with his wife's marital love. In other places, sex is specifically referred to as "the pleasure of married love" (side note: another poster mentioned that there is a difference between the Catholic and the Protestant views on sex; however, that particular quote is from the Deuterocanonical [i.e. Catholic] books of the OT. While Protestants and Catholics may differ on many things, they both agree that God created sex to be enjoyed by husbands and wives.)

...........the tree of knowledge and forbiden fruit were carnal relations. In short, Eve commited the first sin by getting Adam to boink her.........
There are actually only two groups in existance today (of which I'm aware) that teach this view. One is the 'Branhamites', an extremely small sect that follows the teachings of William Branham and quotes his writings and teachings as scripture. The other is the Unification Church, founded and lead by the Rev Sun Myung Moon. Most people would not consider either of these groups or their teachings to be 'Christian'.

shaolinwind said:
........Anyhow, why did he give them those parts if he didn't want boinking to happen?
As mentioned above, God intended for them to *boink* and to enjoy *boinking*!!. In fact, the first command given Mankind after creation was "be fruitful and multiply".

As with everything in Scripture, Biblical teachings must be taken in context. The Bible teaches that sexual love is a beautiful, God-given gift, designed to be enjoyed within its intended context of marriage between a man and a woman. As one happily-married lady, I can tell ya that is a command of scripture that I'm glad to take literally (And thankfully. And rejoicingly. Hallelujah! Amen!)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
hehehe....

I saw a thing on Rome that seemed to indicate that the "change" in attitude was tied to the rise of Christianity, where the older Roman beliefs would worship in a physical means, shall we say, where as the Christians taught something along the lines of overcoming that nature to be closer to their god.

Bob,

It sounds to me like somebody is trying to bolster the importance of Christianity here. Mithraism was the most popular religion in the Roman Empire during the rise of Christianity and was its chief rival for power. Mithraism, unlike certain other pagan religions, was extremely ascetic and self-denying in nature and had very strong patriarchal and militaristic overtones.

It should be noted that the Christmas holiday celebrated today was directed derived from the Mithraic festival of Saturnia, practiced in Rome on December 25th.

Have a good one.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mithraism was mentioned in that video, or another in the series, but moreso as the one that lost without too much 'meat' in what it revolved around. Something about one of the big Christian temples being built over the main Mithral one, and that the former absorbed much of the laters beliefs.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mithraism was mentioned in that video, or another in the series, but moreso as the one that lost without too much 'meat' in what it revolved around. Something about one of the big Christian temples being built over the main Mithral one, and that the former absorbed much of the laters beliefs.
Sounds like Windows vs. OS/2 to me... :lol:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't go there dude...that arguments too heated for this site. LOL

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The early Christian tradition of agape, love feasts, was directly derived from Dionysian religious festivals.

Of course much of christ was derived from dionysus soooo...

Maybe the attempt to clearly seperate the two dieties might have had something to do with it as well.

This is just rumination and speculation, but I might be researching this a little when I have time.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course much of christ was derived from dionysus soooo...

Maybe the attempt to clearly seperate the two dieties might have had something to do with it as well.

This is just rumination and speculation, but I might be researching this a little when I have time.

I seem to remember a painting that portrayed baby jesus in a hat weilding a magic wand.

Apparently, to what little I know, this was a common way to portray Jesus back in the day.

Can anyone guess who Jesus is being modeled after? ;)

Latest Discussions