Choosing a Self Defense Knife

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you have extraordinary training, no knife is suitable for self defense.

This is patently incorrect. Using a knife effectively requires very little training. Yes, there are entire arts devoted to their use, but at it's root, using a knife for self defense boils down to "hold it by the dull end and hit them with the sharp end".
Without taking anything away from the arts devoted to knife fighting, I honestly think most people can learn to use a knife effectively in a few hours. It may not be elegant (neither is basic empty hand self-defense) and it may not be effective against an opponent with more training (as is true of [insert empty hand system here]), but it will be effective.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is patently incorrect. Using a knife effectively requires very little training. Yes, there are entire arts devoted to their use, but at it's root, using a knife for self defense boils down to "hold it by the dull end and hit them with the sharp end".
Without taking anything away from the arts devoted to knife fighting, I honestly think most people can learn to use a knife effectively in a few hours. It may not be elegant (neither is basic empty hand self-defense) and it may not be effective against an opponent with more training (as is true of [insert empty hand system here]), but it will be effective.

Or, as someone once said... "the pointy end goes in the other man"

[video=youtube_share;29FXtcCY8C0]http://youtu.be/29FXtcCY8C0[/video]

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What about the Cold Steel Micro Recon 1?, i live in NYC and the knife laws seem to be catered towards accusing law abiding citizens of carrying "Gravity knives" and not the criminals that buy easily flickable, rapidly deploying crappy knives from local hardware or 99cent stores.

I have the big version and the plus of that knife is the tri lock is supposed to be extra solid. Which for a fighter the issue would be the thing closing on your hand.

I hand bent a liner lock trainer that way.

Last edited by a moderator: