Dream Knife

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would your dream knife be?

I'd go for a sub hilt fighter with about a 10 inch blade. As far as steel goes, I'd want it to be the same as used in the Furi kitchen knives. Not sure what it is, but it sharpens like high carbon, and it retains it's edge like stainless.

And all black of course.

Jeff

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something similar to what you described would be close to the top of the list for me. Something along the lines of the Black Bear Classic from Cold Steel (which is a reproduction of one of Bob Loveless' designs).

I'd also like a handmade Bagwell bowie (not the Ontario production version)

For something that I could actually carry on a daily basis, I'd like something along the lines of a Mercworx Golgotha
mwGolgothaChili.jpg

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hadn't seen that one before, that is one helluva good looking knife.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the reason behind the notch in the blade?

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff, they have very nice products but are definately pricey!
Yeah, I've seen some of their line.

A pet peeve of mine is all the "tactical" knife makers that price their wares so they are outside the reach of the people in the military who could really use them.

Jeff

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the reason behind the notch in the blade?
I'm guessing it to facilitate sharpening the entire edge of the blade.

Either that or 'cause it looks cool.

Jeff

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The notch is usually just the starting point for the grinding of the edge. The notch just gives the maker a point of reference for where to start/stop. :) At least that's how it was explained to me. Some knives will actually have a much bigger one to choke up on the blade for fine work with the edge. Think of a finger slot.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen some of their line.

A pet peeve of mine is all the "tactical" knife makers that price their wares so they are outside the reach of the people in the military who could really use them.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I am absolutely with you there!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that knife makers throw the word on "Tactical" just so that they can charge four times what the product is really worth.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that knife makers throw the word on "Tactical" just so that they can charge four times what the product is really worth.
Yep, make it black and wicked looking and charge 4X what it's really worth.

Jeff

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The Wall Street Journal recently ran a fascinating article on just that subject..the business side of tactical knives ("How New, Deadly Pocketknives Became a $1 Billion Business"). Good reading. I definitely recommend tracking down the original article.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would your dream knife be?

If you want a DREAM knife, I'd go for Wolverines blades hehehe.

Regarding something more realistic, I'd enjoy something like you mentioned, w/ a blade that does not dull. I'm a bit tired of dulling/breaking blades. Corrosion proof would be great. Having one customed designed for grip would be ideal. I've got fairly big hands, so some of the blades I've dealt with have been uncomfortably small. I like a hefty blade personally.

Latest Discussions