Choosing a Self Defense Knife

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's my daily carry blade. It's perfect for me. Yes, it is small. Doesn't matter - the design makes it an excellent choice for opening things.

I can easily walk in dark areas with it open and in my hand - and nearly invisible with my hand turned in. It doesn't telegraph. The main drawback is it has no reach - you must close in to use it. However, you can hold and use it as if you were punching, parrying, or blocking - only minor changes in technique make a block into a long ripping cut. The parrot beak is wicked, I assure you. The angle of the tip ensures that a 'swiping' motion puts the tip of the point at the correct angle for entry into whatever you intend to cut - unlike say a box cutter that uses a razor blade (used in the 9/11 hijackings) and requires an awkward angle to the wrist to bring the incising point into use.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=17

C29_M.jpg

I've been a Spyderco fan for decades - but then, I grew up in Golden, Colorado - home to Spyderco.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's my daily carry blade. It's perfect for me. Yes, it is small. Doesn't matter - the design makes it an excellent choice for opening things.

I can easily walk in dark areas with it open and in my hand - and nearly invisible with my hand turned in. It doesn't telegraph. The main drawback is it has no reach - you must close in to use it. However, you can hold and use it as if you were punching, parrying, or blocking - only minor changes in technique make a block into a long ripping cut. The parrot beak is wicked, I assure you. The angle of the tip ensures that a 'swiping' motion puts the tip of the point at the correct angle for entry into whatever you intend to cut - unlike say a box cutter that uses a razor blade (used in the 9/11 hijackings) and requires an awkward angle to the wrist to bring the incising point into use.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=17

C29_M.jpg

I've been a Spyderco fan for decades - but then, I grew up in Golden, Colorado - home to Spyderco.

Very decent choice.....small and unobtrustive yet effective design.

question......are the grips prone to getting slippery?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very decent choice.....small and unobtrustive yet effective design.

question......are the grips prone to getting slippery?

Yes, they are. However, the grip I've adopted is to wrap my hand completely around the knife, making a fist. No problems then.

Given a choice, I would have preferred a no-slip grip, and a color other than shiny steel, but this was a gift, and as it turns out, a really good one. My previous knife was a Spyderco 'CoPilot' which is a bit larger, similar design, but with a serrated blade. I think I like the wicked parrot bill design even better. The CoPilot would be great as a rescue knife - it can go through webbing like seatbelts like a hot knife through butter.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are. However, the grip I've adopted is to wrap my hand completely around the knife, making a fist. No problems then.

Given a choice, I would have preferred a no-slip grip, and a color other than shiny steel, but this was a gift, and as it turns out, a really good one. My previous knife was a Spyderco 'CoPilot' which is a bit larger, similar design, but with a serrated blade. I think I like the wicked parrot bill design even better. The CoPilot would be great as a rescue knife - it can go through webbing like seatbelts like a hot knife through butter.

Yeah, it looks like it could benefit by the addition of some kind of rough textured surface on the handles.......but not an insurmountable issue as you point out.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Given a choice, I would have preferred a no-slip grip,
I have friends who apply the non-skid stick-on applications to tools and knives that don't have enough "grip" for them. Kinda has a sandpaper/sharkskin texture. They get it from shoe stores (or the shoe section at the "big box"). I've never tried it, but they claim it works a treat. Simple, cheap, effective... What's not to like?

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4072476

There's also "tool dip" that you can buy at hardware stores. You can dip the handle (I'd not recommend it) or just paint it onto the surfaces you want.

and a color other than shiny steel,
How 'bout a Bluing? The hard way, you could disassemble and do a true Bluing (you know, if you're masochistic), or you could use a Bluing compound and do a simple paint on or dip.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Hoppes/BluingFinishing.asp
http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?ProductID=356

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can blue stainless steel.
Well, I'm not sure. There's what the market copy says... and then there's real life. :)

I'm ok with it the way it is, actually. It was a gift, after all.
Fair enough.

Personally, I'm not convinced it's that big a deal anyway.

I might, just for my own entertainment, try cold bluing some knife blades just to see.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Proof that neither Bill nor Mac suffers from "size issues".

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Proof that neither Bill nor Mac suffers from "size issues".
Some people are overcome by 'anxiety' that the job requires a bigger tool readily available......the reality is that most jobs can be accomplished quite nicely the tool at hand with a little skill.......one has to have faith in their blade, or it will droop. ;)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if I can't get a Hanzo blade, I prefer the K-bar for the fixed blade and a cut down Cold Steel Tanto (below 5.5 inchs here in Texas) for the small blade to carry.

Yes, I have a few folders, Spydercos, but I really perfer a fixed blade knife.

Deaf

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the Emerson folders.

Plus one on the Emersons. Their wave opening feature is awesome. I can deploy their folders faster than any assisted knife I have ever had, without the worry of a spring going down.

They also make a model that has nearly everything I like in a knife; Their CQC 11 has a recurve blade, spear point, ergonomic handle (in both short and long held position), forward thumb ramp. It is very balanced, the point is centered with the entire length of the knife.

Emerson makes only one fixed blade (the PUK) but it is stellar as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Emerson designs are nice but I can't get over the liner-lock thing. The wave on the Spydercos works better anyway, IMO...more positive, consistent opening due to the larger hook.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Emerson designs are nice but I can't get over the liner-lock thing. The wave on the Spydercos works better anyway, IMO...more positive, consistent opening due to the larger hook.

I was worried about the liner lock at first. Not my favorite feature, but it has locked in solid so far, with some pretty hard use. We'll see I guess.

I really like the BM 520.. I haven't owned a Spyderco as I have had a hard time finding a blade style/handle that I like. Suggestions?

Also, anyone use and of the Kershaw ZT line? Other than looking a bit large, I like what I see.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was worried about the liner lock at first. Not my favorite feature, but it has locked in solid so far, with some pretty hard use. We'll see I guess.

I really like the BM 520.. I haven't owned a Spyderco as I have had a hard time finding a blade style/handle that I like. Suggestions?

Also, anyone use and of the Kershaw ZT line? Other than looking a bit large, I like what I see.

The kershaw zero tolerance are good knives. I like kershaw.
Benchmade has a good fixed blade line as well.

I tend to choose a combination of fixed and folding knives to carry with each other. I always have a fixed blade, even if visibility is an issue I switch to a 3" Crucible fixed blade in a kydex holster on a nech chain

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Kershaw ZT is well balanced and practical. I like it as a self defense/utility blade.

Eso1

White Belt
Reaction score

What about the Cold Steel Micro Recon 1?, i live in NYC and the knife laws seem to be catered towards accusing law abiding citizens of carrying "Gravity knives" and not the criminals that buy easily flickable, rapidly deploying crappy knives from local hardware or 99cent stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

vincymull

White Belt
Reaction score
Unless you have extraordinary training, no knife is suitable for self defense.

Latest Discussions