"choke points"

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I finally got off my *** and started teaching my friends (the majority women) some MA. We go through each person's house and identify the areas most likely to be defended. Assault on the street is not as likely in my area as home invasion. As we ran through possible situations, it's all about defending, or not getting into, a confined space.

Sometimes, that space might be strategically positive, like a room in our home that has a weapon stashed. Other times, it might be a van that "they're" shoving her into.

Running through the various scenarios, centerline counters to be the most optimal. Any other opinions/ suggestions?

Grazie,

Pete

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with "centerline counters", in that their easy to apply to the main vitals like eyes, nose & nuts. I think once you give them a good understanding of the tools they have available to them (palm heels/rakes-knees-elbows-stomps etc.) work on un-rehearsed moves as opposed to set patterned techniques. Have them put on elbow and knee pads, then have a volunteer with a head cage and groin protector come at 'em with different realistic attempts at controlling and subduing. It's good to let them improvise their self defense moves, and it feels alot better to them when they can actually lay some good hard shots during training. This builds up their self confidence, and at the same time helps to reduce the fear factor that could be detrimental in one's ability to "fight back".

Franco

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If home invasion is that big of a risk have you seriously considered moving, be damned if anything is worth staying in an area for if it really is that dangerous.
I lived in an area like you once, got broken into 3 times in a week, bought a dog and moved 20kms south.

OP
psi_radar

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
If home invasion is that big of a risk have you seriously considered moving, be damned if anything is worth staying in an area for if it really is that dangerous.
I lived in an area like you once, got broken into 3 times in a week, bought a dog and moved 20kms south.

I'm talking about a pretty specific demographic--my friends--who rarely stay out past midnight in Boulder or Longmont, Colorado. Amongst our little group, there's been two break-ins in the past year. Our age and habits probably reduces the crime levels. This area is regarded as a hippie (Boulder) and working class (Longmont) so there's some addicts that need whatever to keep their thing going. But it's pretty exposed for the most part, so there's not a lot of street crime, except what you hear on the news nationally. For some reason, all the bad **** that happens here gets national exposure.

B

Black Bear

Google CPTED

Many police services have brochures on home security or may even provide an on-site CPTED assessment. No point in re-inventing the wheel. Home defence is as old as humankind.

As far as room combat tactics, it's not so much avoiding confined spaces categorically, as knowing when and how to use or avoid them. Usually your objective is "escape to safety" (though not always, if protection of your family members is a concern) so on that strategic level, yes you're avoiding confined spaces. But at other times you can use restrictive spaces to prevent being swarmed by multiples (e.g. a narrow hallway) or limit effectiveness of a weapon (e.g. bent hallway denies a shooter a line of sight, allowing an opportunity for escape, re-arming, or ambush).

Violent crime is low in my country, and guns are few and restricted in use. In event of a home invasion, if I need to move to protect my family, I go with a clustered-LED flashlight in one hand and a synthetic sjambok (shoulder port) in the other, with a clipit and cell phone on my waistband.

Just my 2c

OP
psi_radar

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Google CPTED

Many police services have brochures on home security or may even provide an on-site CPTED assessment. No point in re-inventing the wheel. Home defence is as old as humankind.

As far as room combat tactics, it's not so much avoiding confined spaces categorically, as knowing when and how to use or avoid them. Usually your objective is "escape to safety" (though not always, if protection of your family members is a concern) so on that strategic level, yes you're avoiding confined spaces. But at other times you can use restrictive spaces to prevent being swarmed by multiples (e.g. a narrow hallway) or limit effectiveness of a weapon (e.g. bent hallway denies a shooter a line of sight, allowing an opportunity for escape, re-arming, or ambush).

Violent crime is low in my country, and guns are few and restricted in use. In event of a home invasion, if I need to move to protect my family, I go with a clustered-LED flashlight in one hand and a synthetic sjambok (shoulder port) in the other, with a clipit and cell phone on my waistband.

Just my 2c

I agree with most of your points, if you read my initial post you'll see that I was talking about choke points as a tactical advantage. However, the Sjambok is a weapon designed for crowd control out-of-doors. It's not a very good indoor weapon since it requires whipping and has no thrusting capabilities. Cool weapon, but I don't think it applies here. A good raton stick or short sword serves better.

Thanks for the links, they're gold!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How about a few good books for your people to read? "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. Any or all of "Marc" the animals books. Verbal Judo and other books like that. Any Adrenline training is worth looking into also! ....Just my thoughts.......Aloha

Latest Discussions