Chinese Martial Arts Weapons forum

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised that there is not a CMA weapons forum. I mean after all there is great variety of weapons in Chinese martial arts, I see one for swords but not a general one for weapons.

Since we are on it, what are some of your favorite weapons?

Me?
Qiang, Gun, Yanmaodao, miaodao, Jian, and Han Dynasty style Jian.

I have to say "short" gun,tie shan, and oo tzu kune are also very cool.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised that there is not a CMA weapons forum. I mean after all there is great variety of weapons in Chinese martial arts, I see one for swords but not a general one for weapons.

Since we are on it, what are some of your favorite weapons?

Me?
Qiang, Gun, Yanmaodao, miaodao, Jian, and Han Dynasty style Jian.

I have to say "short" gun,tie shan, and oo tzu kune are also very cool.

What is that in bold? That's possible two different dialects in there ... along with possibly as many Romanizations.

I'm playing stick & broadsword now... that's enough. Daggers are a side item. Might have Miao Dao coming this year. Not worried about since I have 3 section & butterfly knives in queue as a requisite.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jian, Dao, Long Pole.

Use to do three section staff, Guandao, short staff and even a bit (very little bit) Butterfly knives and I messed around with a 9 section whip but I realized that it was a great way to maim myself so I stopped

OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jian, Dao, Long Pole.

Use to do three section staff, Guandao, short staff and even a bit (very little bit) Butterfly knives and I messed around with a 9 section whip but I realized that it was a great way to maim myself so I stopped

lol "maim myself" :D I've always tried to shy away from soft weapons that bend. I did learn the basic movements for Er Jie Gun (two section staff), but I'd rather not fight with them.

With your Guandao training did you use the big 85 solid metal one like General Guan or the lighter wooden shaft ones? My sifu brought a big solid metal one that weighted something like 30 or 40lbs (never weighted it) but it was a pain to swing around :S

Last edited:
OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is that in bold? That's possible two different dialects in there ... along with possibly as many Romanizations.

I'm playing stick & broadsword now... that's enough. Daggers are a side item. Might have Miao Dao coming this year. Not worried about since I have 3 section & butterfly knives in queue as a requisite.

oo tzu kune are what we call our sun moon forks. We do a Pakua (bagua) form with them. I don't use them well, but they are really really cool :D of course there are no videos up of Shaolin-Do guys using them but there is this video on youtube. same ones we use.

[video=youtube_share;ZA07nWIzVQw]http://youtu.be/ZA07nWIzVQw[/video]

Which broad sword are you playing with the typical Niuweidao (Ox Tail Saber)?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
lol "maim myself" :D I've always tried to shy away from soft weapons that bend. I did learn the basic movements for Er Jie Gun, but I'd rather not fight with them.

With your Guandao training did you use the big 85 solid metal one like General Guan or the lighter wooden shaft ones? My sifu brought a big solid metal one that weighted something like 30 or 40lbs (never weighted it) but it was a pain to swing around :S

Wushu steel (aka the boing boing flap flap blade) first and a heavier metal one later. If I had a backyard that was rather private I would work with a Guandao but I don't and I have no other place to work with one so I stopped. And I rather liked the gandao.

My first shifu was actually pretty good with the nine section whip but he could only use the one he brought from China because he said the ones he bought here were way to light. Of course he told me this after he had just wrapped it around his neck and then unwrapping it during the form

OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wushu steel (aka the boing boing flap flap blade) first and a heavier metal one later. If I had a backyard that was rather private I would work with a Guandao but I don't and I have no other place to work with one so I stopped. And I rather liked the gandao.

My first shifu was actually pretty good with the nine section whip but he could only use the one he brought from China because he said the ones he bought here were way to light. Of course he told me this after he had just wrapped it around his neck and then unwrapping it during the form

Ah very cool :D I have never tried spinning those. I've seen them in action but those and the rope dart are just a bit intimidating for me. I did try the rope dart. Tried as in held it when my sifu brought it in and tried one or two throws. I haven't touched it since lol. It always amazed me how they wrap there bodies up and then send it sailing out and it uncoils. Chain whip seems kinda smart though since it's so small, might make for a nice self defense weapon if it's not illegal to carry....probably is though :S

yeah the Guandao seem really neat, I only ever learned one form of it and I barely remember the movements. I felt like that one form depended a lot on momentum. Are there any parks you could take it to?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ah very cool :D I have never tried spinning those. I've seen them in action but those and the rope dart are just a bit intimidating for me. I did try the rope dart. Tried as in held it when my sifu brought it in and tried one or two throws. I haven't touched it since lol. It always amazed me how they wrap there bodies up and then send it sailing out and it uncoils. Chain whip seems kinda smart though since it's so small, might make for a nice self defense weapon if it's not illegal to carry....probably is though :S

yeah the Guandao seem really neat, I only ever learned one form of it and I barely remember the movements. I felt like that one form depended a lot on momentum. Are there any parks you could take it to?

I decided numerous trips to the ER were not worth it so I did not pursue the 9 section whip further. I liked the Guandao did like it and it was rather cool but showing up in a park with a Guandao is not exactly a good idea. I also do not own one, I was using my first Shifus

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oo tzu kune are what we call our sun moon forks. We do a Pakua (bagua) form with them. I don't use them well, but they are really really cool :D of course there are no videos up of Shaolin-Do guys using them but there is this video on youtube. same ones we use.

Right ok...

Which broad sword are you playing with the typical Niuweidao (Ox Tail Saber)?

Do is a do as long as it's a single edge blade & not anything past a single handed handle to me.

OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Right ok...

Do is a do as long as it's a single edge blade & not anything past a single handed handle to me.

Though I can understand one form of single handed dao can be done with any dao, don't you favor one style for it's ease of movement or what feels better to weild? weight? balance? length? etc?

Last edited:

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I practice gim, staff, and niuweidao. I'm not very good with the dao, though, as my Sifu made sure to inform me before he passed away. Brutally honest until the end. lol

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though I can understand one form of single handed dao can be done with any dao, don't you favor one style for it's ease of movement or what feels better to weild? weight? balance? length? etc?

No. It fits me for a purpose or it's different for a different purpose.

A small one is most likely a butterfly. Something about 24-28 inches is probably a broadsword. Something longer is something else. And so on so on ....

To me it's not necessary really unless there are very specific techniques that have to be performed with a very specific blade shape... a do is a do.

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That reminds me. I found a link to these while viewing some HEMA videos.

The techniques are presented well in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have thought about looking into a Dadao, but that is mostly just because I think they look cool, no other practical reason at all

Who said it had to be practical >: D

Yeah dadao looked pretty cool. A guy brought in one he got from hanwei, very nice little blade. I didn't care for (might be because I don't know how to use it..shhhhh) However the blade shortness and handle length threw me.

Though interesting fact, Chinese military carried these in a few wars, even when they had rifles :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who said it had to be practical >: D

Yeah dadao looked pretty cool. A guy brought in one he got from hanwei, very nice little blade. I didn't care for (might be because I don't know how to use it..shhhhh) However the blade shortness and handle length threw me.

Though interesting fact, Chinese military carried these in a few wars, even when they had rifles :D

There was a battalion in the peasant division of the Chinese Army in WW2. The Big Blades. Go look them up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
jian, dao, double dao, butterfly swords (which I have also been able to translate into double tomahawks), staff, spear. It's all good stuff. When you start to understand that the same principles are being utilized from empty-hand to weapons, then it all fits into place and it becomes easier. Still, that's a lot of stuff to practice and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have time to practice any of it enough.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have thought about looking into a Dadao, but that is mostly just because I think they look cool, no other practical reason at all
A boxer challenged a TCMA girl and the TCMA girl accepted. During the fighting day, the boxer brought his boxing gloves

boxingglovesg.jpg

and the TCMA girl brought her Dadao.

her_dadao.jpg

Latest Discussions