Catching punches drill.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a good reflex drill .
  • Partner A has Wing Chun guard up.
  • Partner B stands in front of partner A just out of punching range.
  • Partner B holds hands up about 8 inches apart like they are about to clap their hands.
  • Partner A attempts to punch through Partner B's open hands ( single lead hand punch only).
  • Partner B tries to catch punch between his hands ( must try to catch when coming in , catching when retracting doesn't count.
  • If the person catching finds it too easy , put hands further apart.
The drill benefits both people the puncher learns to do a correct Wing Chun centerline punch with speed and with out pre-movement and the other person works on their reflexes .
Obviously it's only an exercise and in a real fight your not going to stand there catching punches because eventually you will catch one with your teeth.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am familliar with this drill. Here is one to consider as well but most 'chunnas' I have talked to have this as a basic drill in thier systems. Use the pak-da cycle drill to work timing and both peeps actually work something practical. Both are working the strike and the block. No offense to your discription but Ive never seen a block that catches the arm like you describe or I could be thinkng wrong. If you look in the video, Sifu Rahim shows how the timing can work off of the pak drill but other blocks can be used in the same drill. Here he uses the tan and bong. The fook can be used as well since these are the 'THREE TREASURES of WING CHUN'.

Last edited:
OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am familliar with this drill. Here is one to consider as well but most 'chunnas' I have talked to have this as a basic drill in thier systems. Use the pak-da cycle drill to work timing and both peeps actually work something practical. Both are working the strike and the block. No offense to your discription but Ive never seen a block that catches the arm like you describe or I could be thinkng wrong. If you look in the video, Sifu Rahim shows how the timing can work off of the pak drill but other blocks can be used in the same drill. Here he uses the tan and bong. The fook can be used as well since these are the 'THREE TREASURES of WING CHUN'.

Its not an actual technique like a pak sau but just a little supplementary exercise we used to give to beginners because at that stage they might only know low heel kick , the punch , a counter arm grab technique .

The reflex they develop will be useful when they start to learn proper deflections like pak sau etc.

I just put simple stuff up because i thought there were some beginners on here , but i will post some more advanced stuff in future to do with lap sau and continuous punch versus tan bong , fook sau , pak sau , etc i just didn't know what level every bodies at.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
mook- everything you post has had some validation and effect on my learning thus to date buddy so keep em coming.
i have a folder with everything copied on file, wether i need or can use it now or save for future.

so big fanx geez!:ultracool

graychuan- i like this drill- not had this one yest but again saved on file

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its not an actual technique like a pak sau but just a little supplementary exercise we used to give to beginners because at that stage they might only know low heel kick , the punch , a counter arm grab technique .

The reflex they develop will be useful when they start to learn proper deflections like pak sau etc.

I just put simple stuff up because i thought there were some beginners on here , but i will post some more advanced stuff in future to do with lap sau and continuous punch versus tan bong , fook sau , pak sau , etc i just didn't know what level every bodies at.

Hey, I can see where you are comming from,man. Sorry if I came off a little to opinionated. But now that I think of it....Could you be doing something similar to the Lop-Sao(grabbing hand) in the catching drill you describe?

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I can see where you are comming from,man. Sorry if I came off a little to opinionated. But now that I think of it....Could you be doing something similar to the Lop-Sao(grabbing hand) in the catching drill you describe?

No mate you are reading too much into it , it's basically a little game that we used to give to the ( A ) group people who were probably on about their second lesson who wouldn't know a pak sau from their backside or a lop sau from a bar of soap about all they knew was the punch and the guard , the fact that they were clapping on the hand that was punching is irrelevant , they were just working on their reaction speed.

Later on you would teach them to parry punches in a flowing type of drill once they had a bit of a clue what they were doing . The lap sau cycle and all the counter piercing , counter punching variations come after they've been training 9 months to a year if they have been training consistantly. Ok mate :).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a good reflex drill .
  • Partner A has Wing Chun guard up.
  • Partner B stands in front of partner A just out of punching range.
  • Partner B holds hands up about 8 inches apart like they are about to clap their hands.
  • Partner A attempts to punch through Partner B's open hands ( single lead hand punch only).
  • Partner B tries to catch punch between his hands ( must try to catch when coming in , catching when retracting doesn't count.
  • If the person catching finds it too easy , put hands further apart.
The drill benefits both people the puncher learns to do a correct Wing Chun centerline punch with speed and with out pre-movement and the other person works on their reflexes .
Obviously it's only an exercise and in a real fight your not going to stand there catching punches because eventually you will catch one with your teeth.

Clearly you don't teach enough geezers like me. I've got seriously slow relexes and the catching drill (partner B) is exactly what I don't want to be doing. Moving my hands laterally to catch a punch is way too difficult and prone to misjudgement...especially if your "pitcher" (partner A) varies his punching speed. I really prefer drills that work along centerline (or the connecting line between the two combatants, if you prefer) and involve arm to arm contact. You know, countering a punch with another punch, tan-sau, or any other deflection rather than a lateral "catch". These deflections are techniques that are so much more efficient and applicable, that even an old geezer can pull 'em off! If I were to use the "catching" drill as you described it, I would use it just to show how undependable lateral blocks can be against a really fast punch!

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Clearly you don't teach enough geezers like me. I've got seriously slow relexes and the catching drill (partner B) is exactly what I don't want to be doing. Moving my hands laterally to catch a punch is way too difficult and prone to misjudgement...especially if your "pitcher" (partner A) varies his punching speed. I really prefer drills that work along centerline (or the connecting line between the two combatants, if you prefer) and involve arm to arm contact. You know, countering a punch with another punch, tan-sau, or any other deflection rather than a lateral "catch". These deflections are techniques that are so much more efficient and applicable, that even an old geezer can pull 'em off! If I were to use the "catching" drill as you described it, I would use it just to show how undependable lateral blocks can be against a really fast punch!

Well, there's always jut/tan that you can do to consider it "catching" a punch. But the way described really defeats the purpose of your forward going triangle, right?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, there's always jut/tan that you can do to consider it "catching" a punch. But the way described really defeats the purpose of your forward going triangle, right?

Yeah, that's the way it seems to me, if I understood the drill correctly. I find it a whole lot more effective to project my energy forward rather than laterally. If I meet a greater force, then I deflect it. If not I hit. Simple enough even for a geezer!

This basic idea has helped me with my Eskrima as well. In fact, like a lot of WC/WT concepts, it can apply to so many things in life. Sorry if I'm getting off track here...