phew!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
last night i passed my first basic grading under sifu tony jaywant.........phew.!!:barf:

i then did the intermediate class straight after and i feel even worse now!
so many simple looking moves that are far from simple.
i have soooooooo much to learn. my head was jsut exploding with new info.
we did laap sau and palm strike,then palm strike from the laap,which was difficult enought to get my fried brain around then we turned as we progresssed,each sidecontinuously working either in attack and defense so they became one!!
then by the time i thought i had that sort of we learned the counter attacks......omg head explosion. thought i would sleep from pure mental and physiacl exhaustion(shouldnt have gont to the gym at 7am methinks)
i laid awake all night goingt over the techniques!!

feel like death this morning .... god i love wing chun:angel:

matsu

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATS.....
icon14.gif

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
congratulations!

Enjoying the process is the difference that makes the difference.

It is not for everyone!

Glad you are in the same boat of madness and carnage that we are! ;)

Juan M. Mercado

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
last night i passed my first basic grading under sifu tony jaywant.........phew.!!:barf:

i then did the intermediate class straight after and i feel even worse now!
so many simple looking moves that are far from simple.
i have soooooooo much to learn. my head was jsut exploding with new info.
we did laap sau and palm strike,then palm strike from the laap,which was difficult enought to get my fried brain around then we turned as we progresssed,each sidecontinuously working either in attack and defense so they became one!!
then by the time i thought i had that sort of we learned the counter attacks......omg head explosion. thought i would sleep from pure mental and physiacl exhaustion(shouldnt have gont to the gym at 7am methinks)
i laid awake all night goingt over the techniques!!

feel like death this morning .... god i love wing chun:angel:

matsu

Is there any type of ranking in your system other than the traditional titles of Sifu, Sigung amd such? I find it interesting and refreshing that there usually isnt a belt ranking system in most Wing Chun but the practitionors still get as much satifaction. and validation from Wing Chun study. Keeps a lot of the egos out...usually.:uhyeah:

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi gray

we have no real belts to speak of. our grades seem to be for assessment of ability not for show. the first is to show you have an understanding of the basics. my next grading wont be for at least 2 years- but i am not here to get belts i am here to be the best i can be for my own self benefit and to reprsent my sifu's best i can.

hope that helps.
we certainly have a few egos and there seems to be a little bit of dishing out a few whacks to see if i am worthy of my peers help. but i expect that from any martial art. lets be honest if you dont want to take a punch in training a real fight is gonna freak you out completely.
and surely part of training is to prepare you for "real life"
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...we have no real belts to speak of. our grades seem to be for assessment of ability not for show. the first is to show you have an understanding of the basics. my next grading wont be for at least 2 years-

Personally, I like the approach of your school in testing less often. I think that overall, our modern, western culture puts too much emphasis on superficial insignias of rank and too little emphasis on quality...or what's going on beneath the surface, so to speak. Besides, it's really annoying the way some schools keep hitting up their students for testing fees every couple of months. Just my 2 cents.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Kamon we have a very elegant and very tough grading system. The idea is that you appreciate your level when you get it and gives you something to aim for. There are only a few 'sashes' (belts) and the grading takes place every six months (although that doesn't mean that students automatically grade every six months)
On higher levels, Sifu grades you in class over a three week period assessing EVERY aspect of your wing chun and ability to handle yourself under pressure

Matu, well done for your acheivement

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Kamon we have a very elegant and very tough grading system. The idea is that you appreciate your level when you get it and gives you something to aim for. There are only a few 'sashes' (belts) and the grading takes place every six months (although that doesn't mean that students automatically grade every six months)
On higher levels, Sifu grades you in class over a three week period assessing EVERY aspect of your wing chun and ability to handle yourself under pressure

Matu, well done for your acheivement

Are you able to train chi sao from the very first day? Or does your class require you to be a certain rank or grade to be able to do that?

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are right about keeping the egos out,some made a show at the last seminar that I attended expecting to be graded and left with nothing,
Sifu Emin reminded everyone that they put emphasis on quality and not quantity.I concur,the guy I'm training with now wants it yesterday,he wants more but does not want to invest in the "seeds" or the core principles of the system.Typical McDonalds thinking if you ask me.....

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you able to train chi sao from the very first day? Or does your class require you to be a certain rank or grade to be able to do that?
In Kamon we progress chi saon in very basic forms. We start with rolling hands (beginer level up to yellow sash), then dan chi sao/single sticking hands (yellow sash up to red sash) and then finally chi sao (from red sash to whenever!)

I have encountered guys from schools where they did chi sao from day one and they struggled because there was no defined structure ie they were having to learn structure at the same time as energy, movement etc and it was just too much
It is much easier to drill in good structure first, then energy and then movement

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks again guys

qwk- dont think that his way of thinking is all baaaaad. i too want it all now esp when i watch sifu in action. it might be just impatience- that is so very true of myself.

matsu

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, impatience;I want it now,I do not want to digest what I am eating/learning. learned; slow, proper,skill,speed then power.Do what works best for you,most in my class did not have that option,learn it ,be patient or keep spinning your wheels.The guy I am training is also impatient and frustrated.Too much too soon,understand why you are doing what you are doing.Hope this benefits someone.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think there are schools that work too much the other way
There is a certain school in London where new students sit in stance and chain punch for the first six months of training and are taught nothing but that. As you can imagine, the class is very small and the ones who waited all that time to progress didn't. All that happened was that they were too fixed in stance through all their drills and didn't know how to/found it difficult to move/turn because they were so set in their ways

In Kamon, we show students drills but explain to them that they won't necessarily remember how to do them right away. The point is that we are training their muscle memory

The funniest thing I ever saw was a 'be a black belt in six months video' on the internet where they posted you your black belt after six months

We live in a society where people want a quick fix and an easy solution

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to sound like a know it all,but I prefer to teach the way that I was taught (and no,I'm no ego here..) during each session I remind person(s) to pay attention to the finer points,with stress being placed on proper alignment and execution ( get it right, move on).I guess for each one of us it is different,and eventually it leads to finding that "sweet spot" (like when you surf) .....Nothing like seeing someone with at least a years training under their belt and they cannot even perform the basic drills.Bad habits will stay that way until corrected.two cents...........

Last edited: