Catch as Catch can

OP
W

westernwarrior

I had been wondering how many Catch wrestlers were really left. Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if there is any truth to the rumours of a Catch group in Texas. After I wrote it, it was bugging me because I wasn't sure.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dear Western:
Yes there are two groups in Texas. One in Houston and one in Waco. You can contact Mik Henery at [email protected] for information.
It says you live in Chicago. I gather that you realize that Chicago is the world headquarters for Catch and the ICWA.

Hope this helps. Catch is growing exponentially all over the globe.

I see from your pofile that you list Catch as one of your arts. Do you train in catch? do I know you?

OP
A

A.R.K.

I need to put in a disclaimer: I don't know Matt Fury personally nor I'm I his PR man. However, one of the Deputies on my shift that I occasionally cross-train with, did train with him for a couple of years. As well as Karl Gotch who Matt credits for teaching him. Matt does hold Kung Fu credentials and medals from my understanding before Karl taught him catch. He is a business man to be sure, and from what I understand pretty hard core on the mat. But I don't think it would be fair to characterize him as a snake oil salesman.

Just my two cents.

:asian:

OP
W

westernwarrior

No, evangelist, you don't know me. Though I have posted a handful of times on the Catch board. Mainly when the discussion strayed into pugilism. I don't have an active record in training catch. Just a couple of books and a very strong interest. I moved to Chicago only recently and I have shot Tony an email about training a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't heard back yet. I assume he gets a lot of mail and just hasn't had time.

I asked about the Texas group because when I heard of them (this was a year or two ago) they were unaffiliated with anyone else. So my interest in them was wondering where they were getting their experience from.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dear West,
Yes, he gets unfathomable amounts of e-mail. And many are people who are not serious so he is often hesitant to reply. He, like all of us, only has so many hours in the day. He is also extremely busy with the ICWA business, his own personal training, and training his guys. However, if you will e-mail me privately and give me your name and contact info, I talk with tony almost daily and will see if I can get him to contact you.
best regards,

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I personally think that Matt Fury has great some great products I bought the combat condtioning videos and learned some great stuff and it put me into some great shape.

OP
X

xianshino

Sharp Phil said:
Stay away from the Furey stuff. Stick with Cecchine. Tony's an incredibly nice guy (I spoke with him, once, on the phone, in discussing my review of his "Lucky 13" tape) and knows his stuff.

For this guys to say "stay away from Furey stuff" is ignorant and uneducated.
I can understand his allegiance to Tony but if you are going to say something like that about another teacher/fighter, at least back it up with something other than his videos are expensive....

I got more out of Matt Furey's tapes and books than I did taking 2 years of Kung-Fu in a school.

just my .02

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This subject is very interesting to me. I also have a great interest in Catch Wrestling. I have a copy of the old Farmer Burns mail order course which also features Frank Gotch. It is fantastic. Gene Lebell's books are great too, as are the two from Mark Hatmaker. I haven't bought any from Fury for the lack of money, but it sounds like Cecchine might be a better way to go. I am amazed at how well these holds work on the average grappler in the dojo. They are totally unprepared for them.

OP
G

getgoin

Listen to the Old Tiger, the "OLD" man know what he's talking about.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danjo said:
This subject is very interesting to me. I am amazed at how well these holds work on the average grappler in the dojo. They are totally unprepared for them.
I've noticed the same. Some teachs remind me of Sombo. I might buy Cechinnes "hooking" tape. That would fit me as an artist.

Latest Discussions