Careers in Martial Arts

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.The guys that don't have any training have approached me about some basic aikido locks and such for defense. They have a new head of security who may be amenable. I don't know. Seems like there'd be a lot of liability on my part if I agreed to help them out.

Make DAMMED SURE the students and the hospital administration sign a Liability Release form..So if one of the unarmed rent-a-cops try a technique that doesn't work they cannot come back at you...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make DAMMED SURE the students and the hospital administration sign a Liability Release form..So if one of the unarmed rent-a-cops try a technique that doesn't work they cannot come back at you...
:uhyeah: IF I decide to agree to train these guys that release form will be in the finest Italian marble chiseled out with a platinum chisel. The hospital in question has been bought and sold three times in the last 4 years. This next to last rotation saw a security chief come on board who felt that he could save a ton of money by hiring all new security guards... sans training and pay them a much lower hourly rate. The new group seems to be trying to decide what to do with the current security staff. They don't want to fire them but they don't want the liability of someone (staff/visitor) getting hurt during the lag time between the local LE being called and them actually arriving to deal with the offending "visitor". It's something I've been discussing with my senior instructor for a couple of weeks.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:uhyeah: IF I decide to agree to train these guys that release form will be in the finest Italian marble chiseled out with a platinum chisel.

Good deal

The hospital in question has been bought and sold three times in the last 4 years. This next to last rotation saw a security chief come on board who felt that he could save a ton of money by hiring all new security guards... sans training and pay them a much lower hourly rate.

The same old story...All they want is a warm body in a uniform

The new group seems to be trying to decide what to do with the current security staff. They don't want to fire them but they don't want the liability of someone (staff/visitor) getting hurt during the lag time between the local LE being called and them actually arriving to deal with the offending "visitor". It's something I've been discussing with my senior instructor for a couple of weeks.

The security/ police staff has always been and will always be the necessary evil..Ya gotta have them and they cost you money and do not create any revenue...They REFUSE to understand the more professional your staff looks and the better trained they are the less likely they are open to a liability suit..

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The $1000 assassin is making it on volume, the sociopath method...
Come to you mobile dojo private lessons (feel free to steal it, let me know how it goes...)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The $1000 assassin is making it on volume, the sociopath method...
Come to you mobile dojo private lessons (feel free to steal it, let me know how it goes...)

BIG BUSINESS....All ya need is a slick looking brocure and a webpage...The suckers will line up with cash in hand..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What training, specifically, do you suggest that an instructor have before attempting to teach DT to others. Many arts don't deal with detention at all, rather blast your opponent into unconsciousness and move on. Others teach a multitude of ways to detain and restrain as a normal part of the curricullum. This isn't a confrontational post, it's genuine curiosity.
What I think I might do is start another thread on this, rather than derail this one any further. Probably in the LE sub-forum.
a
But, generally, you need to learn about the legal issues, use of force concerns, cuffing and restraint practices, and at least be willing to listen to the working cops about what'll work and won't work. There's no substitute for reality... but if you work and train seriously with them, you'll get some of it by osmosis. You have to understand the difference between sparring and reality -- and the difference between a civilian defending themself and a cop trying to contain and arrest someone. It's a very different concern.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
self contained "circus act"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Foghat will be on in just a few minutes, but while the last cables are laid down and the guitars are tuned up, we have a special guest...

...Everyone please give a warm welcome to Robert's Super-Duper XMA-Style of Demo team!!!"

(At that time, of course, the rock-n-roll music will start, the laser lights and strobe lights will fire off, and smoke bombs and all sorts of things will go off --

--BOOM!!!

Out comes Chloe and some other XMA people, jumping around this way and that way"

"That will be $2000.00"

"Thank -- you!"

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rodeo clown (used to distract the bull from the rodeo guy when he gets thrown from the seat). The martial arts "expert" should be able to avoid the incoming horns of the bull very easily.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BIG BUSINESS....All ya need is a slick looking brocure and a webpage...The suckers will line up with cash in hand..
Legal question: If you say you'll kill someone, take ½ in advance and don't kill him (because you never intended to), are your actions legal?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue could be a logger. :D

hmmm a way to train, get even with trees and get paid too.... I LIKE IT
icon14.gif
:D

Rodeo clown (used to distract the bull from the rodeo guy when he gets thrown from the seat). The martial arts "expert" should be able to avoid the incoming horns of the bull very easily.

Street Performer.

Throw the hat down and start doing your stuff. And then use your MA prowess to intimidate them to throw money in said hat. :D

This of course could lead to an additional career… Body guard in prison for the less skilled prisoner. Since you will likely get arrested for the whole intimidation for money in the hat thing. But at least there is a career path to follow here :D

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Marines are looing for a Few Good Men.
The Army is, well, the Army is looking for something. I suppose that whole "Army of One" campaign is based on their current recruiting figures :rolleyes:

If you want to make a living using real life martial sciences taught by the best professionals in the country they're the ticket. The uniforms are no more ridiculous than white pajamas. There's a chance to actually use your skills in life or death situations on t3h d34dl33 $tr33t and make big bucks later working for Dyncorp or Blackwater. Then you can even ninj around in cool black clothes that weren't borrowed from a Japanese stagehand.

Being a bodyguard is a very specialized profession that requires a fair bit of training to do right. Hitting people is a very small part of the program if you're doing it right. The same can be said of LEO. The joke goes that a cop will probably shoot someone never, use his fists a few times a week and his mouth and brain on every single encounter. So they get lots of training in shooting, a little bit in defensive tactics and almost none in how to think and talk.

The others? If you want to make a living teaching martial arts you are in for a very rude shock. It's about like, oh, making a living as a musician.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same can be said of LEO. The joke goes that a cop will probably shoot someone never, use his fists a few times a week and his mouth and brain on every single encounter. So they get lots of training in shooting, a little bit in defensive tactics

Sad but true on everything you posted..Still waiting for my dept to institute the self defense program I created..But as soon as a new requirement from the State about firearms qualifications is written it goes into effect IMMEDIATLY..

and almost none in how to think and talk.

Yep...If I had a dollar for everytime one of my jerkweed back up units arrived and cranked up a suspect or 2 that I had calmed down with their attitude and lack of brains I could retired...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep...If I had a dollar for everytime one of my jerkweed back up units arrived and cranked up a suspect or 2 that I had calmed down with their attitude and lack of brains I could retired...
And this is why LEOs should train in aikido until they understand the art enough to realize that the redirection of energy in aikido is just as applicable to verbal conflict as it is to physical conflict. This is somewhat tongue in cheek, BTW, but to an extent I really do believe that the "aiki" mindset would be an asset to anyone dealing with (potentially) hostile individuals.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And this is why LEOs should train in aikido until they understand the art enough to realize that the redirection of energy in aikido is just as applicable to verbal conflict as it is to physical conflict. This is somewhat tongue in cheek, BTW, but to an extent I really do believe that the "aiki" mindset would be an asset to anyone dealing with (potentially) hostile individuals.

I wouldn't care if they trained in Tai-Chi, as long as they trained..

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The local PDs offer free range time, at least 100 rounds of free ammunition a month and lots of opportunities for free training. Almost none of it gets used except during once-a-year requalification.

Most of them don't have defensive tactics requalification and don't pay employees to continue their training. If you do something else you have to be careful.

Every PD I'm aware of has huge (internally self-contradictory) Standard Procedure manuals. Stay inside their guidelines when making an arrest, and it's all good. You acted as you had been trained and instructed. Do something from outside and you, the officer, can get into a lot of trouble.

"Officer Mugwort, do you recognize this book?"
"Yes."
"What is it?"
"The Standard Policing Procedures Manual for Lower Slobovia County."
"Have you read it?"
"Yes."
"Did you read the section on Approved Defensive Tactics?"
"Yes."
"Do you think you know more about police procedures than the people who wrote it?"
"No."
"Did you apprehend a werechihuaha last week?"
"Yes."
"Was he in human form?"
"Yes."
"Had you been told he was a werechihuahua?"
"Yes."
"Did you believe he was a werechihuahua?"
"Yes."
"Did you use the Japanese Pretzel Hold on him?"
"Yes."
"Doesn't the manual specify the Dutch Rub and the Wet Willy for apprehending werechihuahaus?"
"Yes."
"Did you know this before you made the arrest?"
"Yes."​
You see where this ends up and why a lot of officers don't train or at least don't talk about it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While there are still some agencies that are very restrictive in their use of force policies and which discourage any outside training, they are in the minority. They may not provide much ongoing training, especially mandatory, in DT, but they won't hang you if the techniques were justifiable and reasonably appropriate. It's gets complicated, and a lot of cops are their own worst enemies when they write reports... but most agencies have recognized that we cannot dictate in advance exactly how to handle each incident.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you could get a credential as a personal trainer, and go to work for a health club/gym. Probably most of your clients just want to socialize with you while they do a few jumping jacks and sit on the exercise bike for 20 minutes. But you might have a few who want to learn martial arts, and you could focus their training on that.

There are many different avenues that you could try, as a teacher of martial arts. It could be in a formal dojo of some sort, or various methods of private instruction.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and a lot of cops are their own worst enemies when they write reports... but most agencies have recognized that we cannot dictate in advance exactly how to handle each incident.

Oh could we do a whole thread on this...So if there are any police cadets among the lurkers out there..PAY ATTENTION IN REPORT WRITING CLASS...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
While there are still some agencies that are very restrictive in their use of force policies and which discourage any outside training, they are in the minority. They may not provide much ongoing training, especially mandatory, in DT, but they won't hang you if the techniques were justifiable and reasonably appropriate. It's gets complicated, and a lot of cops are their own worst enemies when they write reports... but most agencies have recognized that we cannot dictate in advance exactly how to handle each incident.

That's good to know. A couple acquaintances have gotten in trouble in the last few years for doing just that. It could be that some local departments are practicing CYA by having them stick to the Book and what they learned in the Academy. Those things have a long paper trail and have been blessed by the entire political process. More to the point, if you do what you've been trained to do the Department will be glad to say so. It's a lot easier to be a good worker ant than to try and justify doing something they didn't teach you to do.

It might be just as well that I'm not a police officer. I'd say "Let me toss the snap-whip into the cupola furnace and turn it into something useful. I'll just carry a flat sap in my back pocket. It'll all be good. Honest. :) "

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you could get a credential as a personal trainer, and go to work for a health club/gym. Probably most of your clients just want to socialize with you while they do a few jumping jacks and sit on the exercise bike for 20 minutes. But you might have a few who want to learn martial arts, and you could focus their training on that.

There are many different avenues that you could try, as a teacher of martial arts. It could be in a formal dojo of some sort, or various methods of private instruction.

I am a Personal Trainer and it's so I can train more than when I was in construction.

A small Dojo/Training Studio/fght club is in the future.

Latest Discussions