Car shopping....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a car. Got it narrowed down to a 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Rav4 or 2007 Yaris. All are about 70-75k miles, except the Yaris which is like 30k. All are from a Toyota dealership that's given excellent service and support the last 4 years to my family, and are in the 10-11k range on price.

So, anything on those I should be aware of? Other than the Prius has 'eh' acceleration?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's the life on the batteries in the Prius? Are they going to need to be replaced soon -- 'cause that would, I suspect, be quite spendy.

Personally, I'd be tempted to go with the Yaris just because it's got less mileage.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do the whole battery pack on a Prius it's a couple grand. Doing them a cell at a time is on par with buying a regular car battery. I need reliability, good mileage and cargo space to haul gear with.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All I know is that my mother-in-law is a very scary driver and her Rav4 may have dings and dents, but it's still running well.

See if you can find out if your area has a certain vehicle that's more expensive to insure. Where I am, the scions are the most expensive to insure because they're popular with the younger, less experienced, drivers.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, as a photographer, you've probably experienced how the performance of rechargeable batteries takes a nosedive when it is cold outside. The exact same performance hit will happen to a Prius, in a cold climate.

Up here Prius drivers notice their mileage take a nosedive in colder months...and your winters are worse than ours. Just sayin' ;)

Personally I think you'd do better with something like a Yarus. Your mileage will be consistently good and less pricey stuff to fail. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are your models of Toyota the same as ours because if so they seem awfully small for the American market.

Yaris. . . . . . . . . . . . Prius

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are your models of Toyota the same as ours because if so they seem awfully small for the American market.

Yaris. . . . . . . . . . . . Prius
Look about right.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say go for the Rav 4 man. I'm a die hard Toyota fan so you can't go wrong with any of them in my book. The Yaris is way small, I've sat in one and and it's not comfortable for a person of 6'2" so keep in mind your size, your friend's and family's sizes.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leaning towards the Matrix right now. Seems to have the balance between comfort, efficiency and cargo ability.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2000-2003/2003-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-Black-1280x960.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.seriouswheels.com/2000-2003/2003-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-Black-1280x960.htm&usg=__jhNxWKW6gbyXESA93ABsCTrR70M=&h=960&w=1280&sz=380&hl=en&start=8&itbs=1&tbnid=eKc9u5sWBIzbhM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djaguar%2Bxkr%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Or: http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/2008-Aston-Martin-DBS-Side-City-1280x960.jpg

OR: http://digilander.libero.it/Logiko2031/TVR Tuscan R - 1.jpg

All will be much better for your soul than any of the others :lol:.

On a more serious note, never, ever, buy a Prius unless you want to pay out a fortune when the time to scrap it comes along.

Rav4's are appalling - buy one if you like to play dice as to whether it'll roll over or not. On a less technical note (as I think they've fixed that trait now) you'll have to get used to wearing pink a lot and develop a 'carefree' walk if you buy one. Disclaimer: vehicle characters may vary from country to country

As to the Scion, you can thank your lucky stars that your wife is so lovely if you buy one of those {as most men will be distracted by her from giving you the ribbing you richly deserve for buying such a hideous box-on-wheels}.

That leaves the Yaris, which, when properly tuned can be quite lively. But it is quite small for a larger framed individual.

I am guessing that all of the above will not be very helpful to you in your decision making :lol:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SUV WARNING LABEL"This is a multipurpose passenger vehicle which will handle and maneuver differently from an ordinary passenger car, in driving conditions which may occur on streets and highways and off road.

As with other vehicles of this type, if you make sharp turns or abrupt maneuvers, the vehicle may roll over or may go out of control and crash. You should read driving guidelines and instructions in the Owner's Manual, and wear your seat belt at all times."
-Manufacturers required to place this warning label in each sport utility by the driver.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of old time motoring!

Aerodynamics might be rubbish, brakes awful, as were the springs {so it's just as well that power was generally low} and reliability dubious ... but they sure built them pretty :D.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Suk, dunno about the brakes or springs, but the reliability on those is supposed to be excellent with most built still in service.
http://www.excaliburclassics.com/excals.html

I've wanted one since the early 90's, but they cost as much as a house in WNY. lol!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same idea basically, though the companies been around for decades.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Toyota Prius, there have been a few issues with these. The battery needs to be replaced at regular intervals you know. They don't tell you this huh? That can be a wee bit spendy.

Bob, I will send you to a site call CarComplaints.com This site will tell you everything you ever wanted to know ( or not ) about pretty much any car from the mid-80,s on. It is a consumer site so all makes and models are fair game.

Thank good for that site. I didn't buy the Civic I was looking at or a Ford Focus. The Matrix has a few notes on it as well.

Lori

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, after alot of careful thought, research and discussion, as well as advice from several folks who know more about cars than I ever will, as well as test driving a number of different vehicles, I went with an 07 Prius, 1 previous owner. Deciding factors were better warranty options, more of the features that I wanted and the gas mileage. While the Matrix has greater cargo space, and was a bit more comfortable ride (softer seats) with a bit more zoom, the Prius had part of it's factory warranty left and lower mileage, as well as cruise control, auto windows, and several other features. I should be picking it up wed or thurs, once all the paperwork's processed.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, you're mobile now!! Hearty Congrats :D :D

Latest Discussions