Captain Obvious

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in grad school, I accepted delivery of some craft goods by Lighthouse for the Blind for the woman in the next door apartment. When she got home, she marvelled at the quality of the goods they made. "That's nothing", I told here, " The guy who drove this stuff out here - he was blind, too." As I left, I heard," Woooowwwwww, that's amazing......."

What did she think, he had a really long cane and tapped it in front of the van? Man that isn't a gene pool, it is a gene sespool.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in the supermarket at the checkout and noticed the bag which had a red dotted line about an inch from the top with the duhrections "Do not fill above this line"

Makes me wonder what future archeologists are going to think when they excavate our dumps and see some of the duhrections we put on the products we use:idunno:

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I was in the supermarket at the checkout and noticed the bag which had a red dotted line about an inch from the top with the duhrections "Do not fill above this line"

Makes me wonder what future archeologists are going to think when they excavate our dumps and see some of the duhrections we put on the products we use:idunno:

:lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:

"Duh-rections" :D

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had to stop and ask myself, "I wonder what I would do if they didn't tell me that? Drive all the way around the building again? Park and go inside?" I mean, I could see that sacks of food and carriers with drinks were exiting the window via a magic hand and being placed in another magic hand which extended from the vehicle two cars ahead. But since I lack the general ability to reasonably deduce that I could also get My food at the next window, I was SO GRATEFUL that the nice lady who took my money gave me my instructions.

I can't help but wonder about things like this.

Do you have any "Captain Obvious" moments you'd like to share?

Sadly? In my brief stint as a drive- through lady at the local Mickey D's, I've actually seen patrons do those exact things... Not often, but it has happened.

I'm thinking on the original question... It seems I always run into one, take note, then forget...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an employee in retail:

*Me standing in my department, wearing regulation work clothes, holding keys (playing with, actually)*

Customer comes up, asks, "Hi! Do you work here?"

I had to stop, look around at myself and think, "No, not really. I robbed the real associate of their smock and keys, all to just confuse unsuspecting customers."

Same thing goes for when I was anywhere else in the store... I was standing in the middle of the main through-way, and was asked if I worked in the store once.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recently, I took my younger son with me to the bank with the purpose to withdraw money for his kenpo tuition. As it was shortly before his class, I decided to go drive-through as it should be faster. Since I'm deaf, I took out my pad of paper and a pen and wrote a note: "Hi, I'm deaf. My acct number is ######. I would like to withdraw $###.## from my checking acct. Thank you. (signature)" I dropped this note along with my driver's id and account card into the container and placed it into the tube to send to the teller.

I watched the teller accept the container, take it out, look at my id, and read the note. He then spoke in my microphone (my son interpreted). "What would you like me to do today?" My son and I looked at each other, puzzled, then I looked at the teller and pointed at the hand then pointed to him. He looked at his hand holding the paper. "Oh, I'm sorry. You're deaf. May I ask for your account number and whether you want checking or savings? What you would like me to do for you today?" I pointed again to the note and just sat there amazed, staring at him. The guy pauses, re-reads the note, then says, "Oh, I see, it's all on this note."

When we left from the bank, my son asked me, "Is that guy for real? Are there people that are actually this stupid?" I replied, "I guess being at a bank with a job counting money, intelligence is not a requirement."

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a different vehicle and today I stopped into a dealership here in Caribou (No local Mensa chapter within 250 miles) and when I went into the building the conversation was beyond stupid.

Okay, I'll see that, and raise it with this:

I was wandering around the dealership where I get my car worked on while I waited, when I was approached by a salesman.

Salesman: Are you interested in a new car?

Me: No, I'm just waiting while I get mine repaired... but I would like to know what the trade-in value is, for future planning.

Salesman begins to gather information, asks what car I'm interested in, I repeat that I'm only getting information.

Time passes... my car repair is completed, and I go back to the service desk for my keys... where they tell me, to my shock, that the salesman has them. So I go looking for the salesman and ask for my keys...

Me: Where's my car?

Salesman: (pulls out paperwork) Well, your trade-in is worth $X... minus the cost of repairs, so that brings it to $Y

Me: I paid for the repair. I want to leave now. The service desk says you have my keys.

Salesman: I thought you wanted to buy the newer version, so I took your car to the used car lot.

Me: I told you I didn't want to buy a car, that I just wanted information for planning purposes. Can I have it back now?

Salesman: But... I thought you wanted a new car...

Me: Like I said - I wanted information. I didn't give you permission to touch my car - now go get it before I find your supervisor.

Salesman scrams and comes back with my car... I guess he thought a single female alone in a dealership was an easy mark.

When we left from the bank, my son asked me, "Is that guy for real? Are there people that are actually this stupid?" I replied, "I guess being at a bank with a job counting money, intelligence is not a requirement."

Y'think? Some years ago, a friend of mine was temporarily working out of state, and left me his account numbers, because his company did not have direct deposit, and there were no branches of his bank where he was - so he mailed his paychecks to me, and I deposited them for him.

One day, I took his check to the drive-through, wrote the account number and "for deposit only" on it, and sent it through the vacuum tube - no signature, no ID. His check came back in cash.... when I asked why, it was because I hadn't included a deposit slip... so I filled out a deposit slip and sent it back. Then I called him and told him what had happened so he could make sure it had been credited properly. At his request, I called the bank and spoke to the manager... and had to have my friend call the manager himself, because when I explained the situation, the manager told me that he couldn't confirm the deposit because I wasn't the account holder - which he only knew (my friend's first name is Kerry, which could be male or female) because I had told him the entire story!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I go looking for the salesman and ask for my keys...

Salesman: But... I thought you wanted a new car...

Me: Like I said - I wanted information. I didn't give you permission to touch my car - now go get it before I find your supervisor.

Salesman scrams and comes back with my car... I guess he thought a single female alone in a dealership was an easy mark.

If you'd been in a really bad mood you could have said "now go get it before I call the police"...

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

- Ceicei

I think part of the problem is people get this script and don't know how to deviate outside of it....

I favorite are people who are driving in parking decks where you can only go one direction and they put on their blinkers as they go around corners...."what I thought you were going to drive into the cement pillar?"

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate going through a drive-thru, ordering (including "and that's all") and hearing "would you like 2 apple pies for a dollar?"

If I had wanted apple pies I would have asked for apple pies!! :angry:

Applies for any extra of course, nothing against apple pies in particular :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obligatory MA content: Do you remember the old Badger comic the time that Norbert went to the drive-thru? My little amphibious heart was strangely warmed by the sight of a dozen beaten, battered Burger Drones being forced to repeat "In French Fries you'll bask. But only when asked. With ketchup we'll render, each burger we tender."

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too many years of eating at these joints has made me no better than the folks we are joking about.....

I see the thread "Carry Permits for Canadians" and reflect that there aren't many Canadians I could even lift anymore, and why would I want to, and why is there a license required to carry a Canadian around.

I see the thread " Speed of Light Broken" and wonder if it can be fixed....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"It is what it is."

Of course it is, what else would it be? Man, I can't stand that phrase!!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too many years of eating at these joints has made me no better than the folks we are joking about.....

I see the thread "Carry Permits for Canadians" and reflect that there aren't many Canadians I could even lift anymore, and why would I want to, and why is there a license required to carry a Canadian around.

that is just to funny

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

LOL!

Whenever I see the thread "I feel like a woman" I think "Well, I feel like a woman too, and I feel like a beer."

Latest Discussions