Tomahawk

T

TonyM.

Or you could volunteer for the airborne rangers and learn tomahawk technique firsthand.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Are they teaching Tomahawk to the Rangers again? I know that the Rangers are an old group that was born from the frontier scouts in the late 1700s.

American Tomahawk company has a "Ranger" tomahawk as well as a very nice modern Vietnam Tomahawk. They are included as standard in the breach kits in Iraq.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Woodland Archery

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Samurai said:
Are they teaching Tomahawk to the Rangers again? I know that the Rangers are an old group that was born from the frontier scouts in the late 1700s.

American Tomahawk company has a "Ranger" tomahawk as well as a very nice modern Vietnam Tomahawk. They are included as standard in the breach kits in Iraq.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Woodland Archery

My friend Dave Tillet wrote an article for abcnews.com about the use of the tomahawk in elite army units in Iraq; go to http://abcnews.go.com and do a search for "tomahawk" in the upper right corner of the home page and it should come up.

Best,

Steve Lamade

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.
As stated, the Rangers have a very long histroy with that weapon.

--Jeremy Bays

Woodland Archery

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to be publishing a review of Dwight's book in The Martialist. I've found the tomahawk to be a really great close-quarters weapon and I've had the chance to review a couple, such as this one from Vic Hays:

xtreme13.jpg

I've also written an article on the very basic basics:

Intuitive Tomahawk

Those of you looking for a rig to tote a tomahawk (provided you can do so legally) might want to consider Robert Humelbaugh of Survival Sheath, who made this rig for me:

survsh-9.jpg

R

Ronald R. Harbers

How does one find out if it is legal to tote a tomahawk? Do we contact the authorities? Or is there an online site that lists such things?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be honest, the chances are that it is not. Your state's penal code is the appropriate place to start -- many states' laws can be found online through, say, your state senate or state assembly websites. Laws are often quite vague, so err on the side of caution. For example, it might be entirely reasonable to carry such a 'hawk while camping or hiking, as it can be used as a camp tool. It would be entirely inappropriate to get caught with one under your coat while out and about downtown, on the otherhand.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Hmm...

Anybody got any creative ways to justify carrying one to a LEO (particularly in urban areas)?

Sorry Officer, I train with the Local Military, and this is one of the weapons they work with. I forgot it was in the car. I will remove it first thing I get home.

Being honest might work :idunno:

:asian:

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
nice review on a new tomahawk in the most recent black belt mag. 14 inches long and weighs just under a pound.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Officer, "My family enjoys going out and cutting down thier own Christmas Tree each year. We like to get their early before all the good ones are gone"

Jeremy Bays
Woodland Archery

Latest Discussions