Help buying a Hogu!

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get involved in olympic style sparring. I currently do point sparring. I plan on finishing the year and going to State- but after that I want to get a USAT membership and start training.

Anyways- my question is buying a Hogu. If I go to this one class they require you have all gear- well I don't want to have to ask for a hogu to borrow 'specially if they might not have one- so I'd like to buy my own before I go- but how exactly do I know what size to get? I mean- online sizing charts are always off for me. I wear a size 4 Gi and size 3 pants, my gear is even more mix-matched :) I'm about 5'7 150 lbs. Any help would REALLY be appreciated!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Adidas wrap around in a size three should be perfect for you. I have been using them for years and so do all my compettitors. Good luck with your training, by the way who are you going to be training with for Olympic style of fighting?

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Terry- I've talked to Master Galloway in Garland at Chang Lee's. But when I return to school I'm looking into taking from Master Garth Cooley from Korean Taekwondo Academy (KTA) in Indianapolis. Either name ring a bell?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Terry- I've talked to Master Galloway in Garland at Chang Lee's. But when I return to school I'm looking into taking from Master Garth Cooley from Korean Taekwondo Academy (KTA) in Indianapolis. Either name ring a bell?

I know both of them Galloway is an excellent teacher, Master Cooley has about the same style too. Did Master Galloway tell you the same about the hogu Adidas his players wear alot of them as well.

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow! How do you know them? Master Gallaway didn't really say anything about gear to me- but I'd really not want to look stupid for showing up and not having everything :) As far as brands go- I've been looking into the Addidas and the Vision brands. What do you suggest?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! How do you know them? Master Gallaway didn't really say anything about gear to me- but I'd really not want to look stupid for showing up and not having everything :) As far as brands go- I've been looking into the Addidas and the Vision brands. What do you suggest?

The Adidas are alot more durable than the vision, so if you are looking long term the Adidas is the right one.

In TKD it is a small world, almost everybody knows everybody.

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok thanks- and that's cool you know them. And it was funny because when I talked to Master Gallaway, I explained about me going up to learn from Master Cooley possbily when I return to school, and he said that he knew Master Cooley too- back when he went to school up there :) Small world is right!

Latest Discussions