Cane defence for Seniors

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
Sukerkin, I live in Virginia which is a concealed Carry state. It would be easy for me to get a permit to carry my PPK in my pocket. That being said, my little PPK only weighs 20 ozs or so but is too much weight to carry. By that I mean I do not want the responsibility that carrying a gun entails. If I make a mistake with my cane it will probably be a small mistake. There are no small mistakes with a firearm. I have grown up with guns and am a fair shot, I do go to the NRA range occasionaly and shoot but walking around with one in my pocket is not something I would do.

As far as canines, we have always had big dogs until now. Now we have a chicken livered 20 lb Boston Terrier. Wonderfull little dog but far from intimidating. A couple of past dogs would have, Im sure, come to my aid in a self defence situation. They were untrained for protection but their desire to defend their master and family was unbounded. My daughters always felt safe when they were home alone with them. Not all dogs have that sense of protection and unless you purchase one already trained you have no idea what that puppy will be like as an adult. I had a German Shepard once that was (aside from his intimidating Size) a wimp. He would have given the family silverware to any burglar that came along, and probably help him carry it out to the car. I recently turned down an offer from a freind of mine to take his Pressa Canerio named Samson. He was an impressive dog, unafraid of anything and would have been an excellent protection dog, perhaps too good, he was a one family dog and was suspicious of any stranger. I did not take the dog for liability reasons. We have a lot of children in the neighborhood and the possibilty of an accidental attack was too real. Samson weighed 130lbs and had extremely powerful jaws. Like a firearm he would make no SMALL mistakes.

We cannot, no matter how hard we try, eliminate all the risks in life. I will take my chances with my cane, if it is some small help sometime that is good. If not, well I will at least go down swinging.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
get the canemasters vids or the cane dvd from combat hapkido (ichf)

Yep...If you are ever afforded the oppertunity attend a CaneMaster seminar you will be amazed at the techniques that Grandmaster Shuey Sr demonstrates and teaches...I was the Uke for him at one seminar and his "stuff" is the real deal..

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The great thing about a fast thrust is that it's very hard to avoid. Very few people can get out of the way fast enough.

Low strikes to the shins and knees are great, but be sure to misdirect first. Look your attacker in the eyes. Don't look at your target. Make some sort of confusing gesture with your hand, up high. For example, throwing a few coins at the attacker's face is a great distraction. Throwing a lit cigarette is great too, if you are a smoker. Follow up immediately with your low strike, then with strikes to the head.

I wonder, though, in what scenario do you see yourself fighting? If confronted by an armed mugger, the best thing to do is hand over your wallet. If it's just some punk street kids hassling you, you can generally talk your way out of it.

I live in a small town and I often go for long walks at night. I carry a cane to ward off aggressive dogs (they seem to think they own the night). A few swings is usually enough to keep them at bay. As I walk I often practice aggressively with the cane, working on fast strikes, combination strikes, etc. It's great exercise. This is on quiet back roads at night where there's no one out except the single police cruiser that patrols all night, and they know me.

I think that constant, repetitious practice helps tremendously. You become faster, much more comfortable with the cane, and your are less likely to hit yourself in the head with it (it happens).

Latest Discussions