Hello from a Geezer

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
I have looked at this site for a while and am impressed by the wealth of knowlege here. I am not a martial artist, but I have had experiance with stage combat. I have some very strong opinions on that subject. I wrestled in college and was a YMCA boxer in highschool. In my younger days ( a long time ago) I was involved in several barfights etc. So, I am not exactly a virgin, but certainly not an experianced street fighter.

I am retired and have some small disabilities. For exercise I walk. We have over 55 miles of paved walking paths here in Reston VA and I use about 3miles of them on a nearly daily basis. Gang grafiti has begun showing up on the walls of the underpasses giving me pause about walking unarmed. I ordered a Cane from "Wooden Steel", oak with an agressive crook, octagon shaft brass tip with a rubber bumper. I also ordered a DVD on cane defence from Shami productions. I will be posting my thoughts on this in the weapons section of this forum.

I look forward to chatting with all of you and getting your opinions on "seniors" defending themselves with a cane.

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hi welcome to the forum...im also not experienced martial artist.
have a nice day

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
On second thought, perhaps someone could suggest a thread for me to post my questions about cane defence. On looking at the threads I see several that appear to be germain. So, being a newbie I will seek guidence.

Thank you

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
On second thought, perhaps someone could suggest a thread for me to post my questions about cane defence. On looking at the threads I see several that appear to be germain. So, being a newbie I will seek guidence.

Thank you

Welcome to the forums. I would suggest you post cane questions in the Hapkido forum. That particular martial art is renowned for its cane defense techniques.

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Harold. I will do that. Hello Kingindian, thanks for the welcome.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome, and I hope you find what you are seeking.

One of the most damaging myths in America is that there is no place in the martial arts for elders, persons with disabilities. persons not in the best shape. In fact, those people have a wide variety of arts to choose from - and may benefit as much or more than young people.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi DGF

I add my welcomes to the pot and second what grydth had to say above.

A small question, you wouldn't happen to be an Englishman 'abroad' by any chance? I just ask as 'geezer' is very much Southern (England) slang.

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
Sukerkin, no I am a Colonist, born and bred, from South Dakota now in Virginia. Thanks for the welcome. As I said using the cane would be an absolute last resort, plus it may be good exercise for these old bones, Ill never be in the shape I was as a youngster but I can improve the shape I am currently in.

Latest Discussions