Can you laugh at yourself??

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it about you that makes other people chortle or make comments that tick you off?

Can you handle laughing at the humor in the worst situations? I heard a comedian say once that even rape can be funny if you look at it right.

So what button of yours that others push have you learned to laugh at and how?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What is it about you that makes other people chortle or make comments that tick you off?

Can you handle laughing at the humor in the worst situations? I heard a comedian say once that even rape can be funny if you look at it right.

I'm sure you know by now, that I personally, am Humorless.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elmer Fudd, raping Porky Pig....think that was Carlin. :)

I laugh at myself all the time. I feel, you have no right to laugh at others if you cannot laugh at yourself. none of us are perfect y'know?

I'm overweight, balding, a complete geek, and have a very warped sense of humor...that, ah, annoys some folks. I've had some stuff happen in my life, that is I didn't have the ability to laugh, I'd probably be dead. I tell folks, worry when I can't crack a joke.

:)

BTW: You all dress funny, and have hairy toes. :D

shesulsa said:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL Bob. I also can have a warped sense of humor sometimes. We should hang out sometime ;)

Anyways, I can also be a complete air head sometimes, and I just have to stand back and laugh at myself. I have what I call "brain farts" (forgetting stuff, or stop in the middle of a sentence and wonder what the hell I was just talking about).

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a champion at self-deprecating humor. The aspect of me that I've learned to laugh at is my odd and unusual references that I take for granted everyone knows.

For example, I expect everyone to know that Bruce, here, is also in charge of the sheep dip. Also, that that a piece of coral is a crime.

When people get irritated with me over such things, I turn it on myself and have them laughing at my utter geekiness.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I have what I call "brain farts" (forgetting stuff, or stop in the middle of a sentence and wonder what the hell I was just talking about).

So thats what those are called!!! I can relate to that:) , here's me thinking it was the onset of oldtimers !!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

I personally laugh at myself evry morning when I look to see that wonderfully shape body and before someone say something round is a shape.
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah yes, brain farts...happens to me all the...what was I going to say???

We can't take ourselves too seriously. Life is too short. For some reason, people in my life really enjoy teasiing me. I just roll my eyes at them...or LMAO..one.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the ability to laugh at yourself DOES give you the right to laugh at others as Bob said.

I do stupid stuff all the time and will laugh at myself because how could've I been so stoopid?

I do stuff that make people laugh at me without realizing what I was doing was so funny.

I know that I make folks (here) giggle and chortle quite frequently. I've got the rep points to prove it... (thanks ya'll).

Certian subjects aren't funny to be sure... but if handled the right way a lot of subjects/situations/circumstances/statements are funny.

However I would have to disagree with Carlin ... Rape ISN'T funny no matter who's raping whom.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I know that I make folks (here) giggle and chortle quite frequently. I've got the rep points to prove it... (thanks ya'll).
:lol2: I laugh at you. :lol2: Repeatedly and loudly. :lfao::lfao::lfao: Guffaw ... guffaw. :ultracool Oh I slay me. :redeme: Ouch! :erg: Who said that? :idunno:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, do it all the time.

If I can't see the humor in myself, how can I possibly see it in others?

I love British humor. My brother and I used to kill ourselves over monty python's flying circus, my mom never "got it".

I can laugh at just about anything and if I find I can't, I just ignore it. To me, each to their own.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I think the ability to laugh at yourself DOES give you the right to laugh at others as Bob said.

I do stupid stuff all the time and will laugh at myself because how could've I been so stoopid?

I do stuff that make people laugh at me without realizing what I was doing was so funny.

Certian subjects aren't funny to be sure... but if handled the right way a lot of subjects/situations/circumstances/statements are funny.

However I would have to disagree with Carlin ... Rape ISN'T funny no matter who's raping whom.
You are a wise and clever guy Caver :) and have said everything here absolutely correct...

oh I could give you points for being funny too but hey... I do not wanna make u all complacent.. oh and I have noticed on this very thing that there are a few MT folk with not green.. but little red-nose rep points so I guess they are quite funny indeed?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, I laugh at myself all the time. I wear leg braces on each leg. So I am always challenging people to a race. Either that or I say something like "I would have a great sled if I joined them together." I call myself tin man etc.

I have laughed at myself and turned it around on other people. They hate when I do that but they can't say anything since I ripped on myself first.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course I laugh at myself - some days, if I don't laugh, I'll cry; I'd rather laugh!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Elmer Fudd, raping Porky Pig....think that was Carlin. :)

I laugh at myself all the time. I feel, you have no right to laugh at others if you cannot laugh at yourself. none of us are perfect y'know?

I'm overweight, balding, a complete geek, and have a very warped sense of humor...that, ah, annoys some folks. I've had some stuff happen in my life, that is I didn't have the ability to laugh, I'd probably be dead. I tell folks, worry when I can't crack a joke.

:)

BTW: You all dress funny, and have hairy toes. :D

Yeah, what he said, except replace balding with graying.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I work with 13 5 year olds, i either laugh at myself and the messes we find ourselfs in or id go postal on them all. Iv learned that its easyer nad works out better to laugh then to yell or cry or be upset. A few things that iv noticed is that all my kids names are similar so im constantly calling them the wrong names....the kids will laugh at it and corrrect me and i will usely laugh and smart off that nope i changed there name for the day

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I wasn't able to laugh at all of the stupid things I have done or said, I would have killed myself by now. Way too many embarrassing things to list. Here's a recent one. I had my students practice chambering their kicks by standing along side their partners who were on all fours and then throwing side kicks without hitting their partners. I pulled out a folding metal chair to demonstrate. Then I had them work their front kicks. When I went to demonstrate on the chair, I casually threw the kick without looking at what I was doing, and sent the chair flying across the room about 15 feet, in front of thirty students and most of their parents. My face could not have gotten any more red.

"And that students, is why you must watch where you are kicking at all times."

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can I laugh at myself? Depends on my mood. ;) I make fun of myself fairly often, especially when it comes to my height (I'm only five feet tall). I often got teased about my height (among other things) when I was younger. I also have a tendency to say stupid things at times; that is something else I had to learn to laugh off.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the weird thing is that I laugh at myself all the time, but can absolutely lose it over uncontrolable streaks of "bad luck".

However, a really rough year back in 99 pretty much cured me - it was just like has been said, I could either learn to laugh, or cry myself to sleep everynight for a year (postal was also an option...).

I love to laugh and I insist on fun in my everyday life - or else!!!!

Latest Discussions