Can you kill some one with their own nose??

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know in kenpo we do a teck. called "raining claw" where we strike down on the opponents nose with a left heel palm and shoot our right horizontal punch up straight in line with their nose. The heel palm breaks the bone in the nose at the top and the punch shoves the broken bone up inside the brain. This was the way I was taught to kill someone with a punch to the nose. A two step process.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, it was my instructor who told me it was a myth. He was teaching the heel-palm strike and explained what not a life-threatening move.

However, if you tore the guy's nose off and forced it down his throat, that might to the trick. :uhyeah:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Question:

Can you kill some one with their own nose??

The Answer:

Yep. Happens all the time. Granted it's usually because they stuck too much coke up it, and not because that "tiny bone" breaks off and shoots thru the brain.

*shrug*

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know in kenpo we do a teck. called "raining claw" where we strike down on the opponents nose with a left heel palm and shoot our right horizontal punch up straight in line with their nose. The heel palm breaks the bone in the nose at the top and the punch shoves the broken bone up inside the brain. This was the way I was taught to kill someone with a punch to the nose. A two step process.

Ok I'll point it out. there is no bone in the nose. It's cartilege. Look at the X Ray.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinus_cavity

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't like answering questions like this. Goes against my better judgement. However, since several people have pointed out that "sending bone shards from the nose into the brain" is a myth, an anatomical impossibility, I'll add that blows to the nose, including some described in this thread, can prove to be fatal.Any blow to the cranium can. There are a few mechanisms of death through blows to the nose (including the dreaded "coke stroke" :lol: ), one being a basal skull fracture and/or subdural hematoma from a blow just below the nose. Death wouldn't be anything like instantaneous, though, and you'd have to be able to hit really, really hard for it to do this. There are other mechanisms of death from a blow to the nose, but these are even more reliant on vagaries in anatomical structure. Death canresult from a blow to the nose, included the dread "James Bond upward palm-heel", but the mechanism of death is going to be skull fracture, shock transmitted to the brain, or ruptured blood vessels-maybe a couple of others not worth mentioning here.With that said, it's also worth pointing out that a lot of this is phenotype dependent-some people have more cartilage for their nose, and it's attached somewhat better or worse. People also have slight differences in skull construction. What winds up killing someone might just be enough to piss someone else off-in regards to this particular target area.Hitting the nose has a high effectreliability-it's probably gonna hurt, and take some of the fight out of the average assailant, but it has a relatively low risk for fatality..it could kill, though.Needless to say, if you want someone dead, there are easier, more reliable ways.......

.......a gun for instance..:lol:

(God, I've been hearing this one-and reading it in novels-since the 60's....at least I was still a kid, though...:lol: )

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't like answering questions like this. Goes against my better judgement. However, since several people have pointed out that "sending bone shards from the nose into the brain" is a myth, an anatomical impossibility, I'll add that blows to the nose, including some described in this thread, can prove to be fatal. There are a few mechanisms of death through blows to the nose (including the dreaded "coke stroke" :lol: ), one being a basal skull fracture and/or subdural hematoma from a blow just below the nose. Death wouldn't be anything like instantaneous, though, and you'd have to be able to hit really, really hard for it to do this. There are other mechanisms of death from a blow to the nose, but these are even more reliant on vagaries in anatomical structure. Death canresult from a blow to the nose, included the dread "James Bond upward palm-heel", but the mechanism of death is going to be skull fracture, shock transmitted to the brain, or ruptured blood vessels-maybe a couple of others not worth mentioning here.With that said, it's also worth pointing out that a lot of this is phenotype dependent-some people have more cartilage for their nose, and it's attached somewhat better or worse. People also have slight differences in skull construction. What winds up killing someone might just be enough to piss someone else off-in regards to this particular target area.Needless to say, if you want someone dead, there are easier, more reliable ways.......

(God, I've been hearing this one-and reading it in novels-since the 60's....at least I was still a kid, though...:lol: )

and may the bird of paradise fly up your nose sir! :uhyeah:

Getting hit just under the nose really really hurts! My nose is very bendy these days, same as my ankles, wrists and elbow joints!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I said it was the 60's......and, anyone who has passing familiarity with my biography knows that I was never really a kid, sad to say.....

ah but you remember that song lol!
talking of the nose, do you do the C clamp?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't like answering questions like this. Goes against my better judgement. However, since several people have pointed out that "sending bone shards from the nose into the brain" is a myth, an anatomical impossibility, I'll add that blows to the nose, including some described in this thread, can prove to be fatal.Any blow to the cranium can. There are a few mechanisms of death through blows to the nose (including the dreaded "coke stroke" :lol: ), one being a basal skull fracture and/or subdural hematoma from a blow just below the nose. Death wouldn't be anything like instantaneous, though, and you'd have to be able to hit really, really hard for it to do this. There are other mechanisms of death from a blow to the nose, but these are even more reliant on vagaries in anatomical structure. Death canresult from a blow to the nose, included the dread "James Bond upward palm-heel", but the mechanism of death is going to be skull fracture, shock transmitted to the brain, or ruptured blood vessels-maybe a couple of others not worth mentioning here.With that said, it's also worth pointing out that a lot of this is phenotype dependent-some people have more cartilage for their nose, and it's attached somewhat better or worse. People also have slight differences in skull construction. What winds up killing someone might just be enough to piss someone else off-in regards to this particular target area.Hitting the nose has a high effectreliability-it's probably gonna hurt, and take some of the fight out of the average assailant, but it has a relatively low risk for fatality..it could kill, though.Needless to say, if you want someone dead, there are easier, more reliable ways.......

Very good post. Saved me the time. I just taught some teenagers some defensive tactics as part of their law enforcement class and one of them brought up this exact topic, and I had to go through and explain why it couldn't happen.

I think this myth will never die, just because the average person doesn't know enough about inflicting trauma and basic physiology to know that it can't happen.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that you're doing a "horizontal" strike in an upwards direction, which would by definition make it a vertical strike, it's a myth. There is no "nose bone."

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect that if you hit someone with a palm heel strike to the nose, which in turn drives his head back, and he falls with his head in that position, he could possibly fracture his skull and die of cerebral hemorragh or something, or maybe break his neck somewhere in the process. Does that count? (disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
ah but you remember that song lol!

Yeah, I remember that one-hell, I do it at parties sometimes, along with a pretty mean version of El Paso-at least, my friends say it's mean; the room is generally pretty liquored up by the time I get around to it, though...:lol:

talking of the nose, do you do the C clamp?

'fraid I'm not sure what you mean, Tez-is that some British dance from the....er....sixties? :lol:

Originally Posted by kenpofighter

Think it would work better with the punch first, then the palm heel, but no broken bone up inside the brain, and maybe a dead guy, and maybe a half-blind guy, and maybe a just pissed off guy. Most likely half blind, least likely dead.....:lol:

Raining claw, huh? Doesn't sound like any kind of "claw" at all, but oh-kay...:lol:

Here's the thing, though-several people have posted that it's a myth. How many pages you wanna bet before someone else chimes in with their own version of Sensei says.... or we do a technique... :lfao:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was having a chat with a friend at work this lunch time who did martial arts when he was at school. He was informed by his instructor (5th Dan, Karate) that if you smacked somebody hard enough in the nose you can send their nose right through their brain, thus immediately killing them. I disputed this as when I was working on striking points in my jujutsu class I remembered that my instructor made a point of dimissing this "killer strike" as a myth. He argued that it is cartilage and as such would just be extremely painful but would not be strong enough to pierce the brain. Obviously at this stage it is just my instructor's word over his. So I am throwing the question out to the experts!

I know that if you hit anybody in the head hard enough they may die anyway but I am specifically referring to the idea behind this strike of the nose piercing the brain.

Here is Bruce Willis in the "Last Boy Scout" performing the strike (1.47mins in)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIVe28-T_0

So good people.........

Is this a martial art myth or not?
ive done this 3 or 4 times it works people. On a similar note I saw some pigs flying the other day...:D

B

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that one-hell, I do it at parties sometimes, along with a pretty mean version of El Paso-at least, my friends say it's mean; the room is generally pretty liquored up by the time I get around to it, though...:lol:

'fraid I'm not sure what you mean, Tez-is that some British dance from the....er....sixties? :lol:

Think it would work better with the punch first, then the palm heel, but no broken bone up inside the brain, and maybe a dead guy, and maybe a half-blind guy, and maybe a just pissed off guy. Most likely half blind, least likely dead.....:lol:

Raining claw, huh? Doesn't sound like any kind of "claw" at all, but oh-kay...:lol:

Here's the thing, though-several people have posted that it's a myth. How many pages you wanna bet before someone else chimes in with their own version of Sensei says.... or we do a technique... :lfao:

C clamp = you are behind the person who needs to be removed or otherwise detained, you put your first finger of one hand, use first knuckle from top, under their nose on the cartilege dividing the nose, ( I know but bear with me) and the thumb of the same hand on the jaw just at the back of the jaw 'hinge' and pull backwards. They squeal with pain and are compliant! You may have to watch they can't get a bite at you but pulling the nose backwards plus the pain from the thumb pressing in should deter them.
if anyone can fill in the proper medical terms for this bits of body please do!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
C clamp = you are behind the person who needs to be removed or otherwise detained, you put your first finger of one hand, use first knuckle from top, under their nose on the cartilege dividing the nose, ( I know but bear with me) and the thumb of the same hand on the jaw just at the back of the jaw 'hinge' and pull backwards. They squeal with pain and are compliant! You may have to watch they can't get a bite at you but pulling the nose backwards plus the pain from the thumb pressing in should deter them.
if anyone can fill in the proper medical terms for this bits of body please do!

That sounds nifty. I liked to just grab the upper lip and twist, given a chance-from the front. :lol:

If I were behind someone, I'd just wrap them up in a choke, put them to sleep, drag them out and let them wake up on the sidewalk. These days, though, there's not much call for that sort of thing in my life...if there were, I'd probably just shoot them.

No patience, that's me. :lfao:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds nifty. I liked to just grab the upper lip and twist, given a chance-from the front. :lol:

If I were behind someone, I'd just wrap them up in a choke, put them to sleep, drag them out and let them wake up on the sidewalk. These days, though, there's not much call for that sort of thing in my life...if there were, I'd probably just shoot them.

No patience, that's me. :lfao:

Well I have the option to shoot as well but the paperwork afterwards takes so long! It's just a nice little move, I find it hard to drag large unconcious men out being fairly small and I must admit I love hearing them squeal rofl!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
'Bout the only way to kill someone with his own nose is to hold it and his mouth shut until he suffocates.