Can a parent lose custody for extreme political views?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparantly the answer is YES. Yes they can..

http://www.slate.com/id/2293768/?gt1=38001

Not sure how I feel about this.
Neo-Nazis are by no means a popular group of people, and I would not choose to associate with them, but I am not so sure that taking their kids away because of their views is a thing I would support.... seems like one of those slippery slope arguments.
Not sure what to think about this, With marriages failing faster then non preserved fruit now days, and with Political viewpoints seeming to swing vastly right and left on a more frequent occasion, I wonder if there is a risk of this applying to parents who divorce and seek custody, but who are extremely politically active and extremely left or right in the normal non racist type of beliefs..​

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Family Courts feel like they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want, and they prove that they can on a daily basis. The answer is yes, a parent can lose custody for their political views. They can lose custody for not being a Christian, for being a Christian, for their dating habits, for their incomes, or pretty much whatever the judge feels like considering. Their only guide is the "best interests of the child", and they have no problem crapping all over good sense and the Equal Protection clause to do it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Family Courts feel like they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want, and they prove that they can on a daily basis. The answer is yes, a parent can lose custody for their political views. They can lose custody for not being a Christian, for being a Christian, for their dating habits, for their incomes, or pretty much whatever the judge feels like considering. Their only guide is the "best interests of the child", and they have no problem crapping all over good sense and the Equal Protection clause to do it.

Well, because in some cases it is in the best interest of the child to be separated from either/or or both parents.
Just because you managed to procreate does not mean you are fit to raise this spawn, err, child.

(and of course the system can get abused, but that's nothing new...)

OP
LuckyKBoxer

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, because in some cases it is in the best interest of the child to be separated from either/or or both parents.
Just because you managed to procreate does not mean you are fit to raise this spawn, err, child.

(and of course the system can get abused, but that's nothing new...)

I think those cases will be whent he kid is in physical danger. Who the hell is anyone to take someones kid away because they do not like their political viewpoints?
big difference between a physical danger to remain in a home, and a disagreeable political viewpoint.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a dichotomy here worth noting:

"Losing custody" as in the state takes your kids as opposed to "losing custody" as in you lose the custody battle with an ex spouse.

From the examples given, it looks like the second is far more common when it comes to political views. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it's worth making part of the discussion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think those cases will be whent he kid is in physical danger. Who the hell is anyone to take someones kid away because they do not like their political viewpoints?
big difference between a physical danger to remain in a home, and a disagreeable political viewpoint.

As noted, it depends on whether the thing is over divorce or if the state steps in.

And how the 'political views' are expressed.

The state is full up with kids, they are not going out to actively seeking disagreeable parents to take their kids. So to make it so far that there is a case worker even looking at the family and the case making it in front of a judge, you probably would not want to have this person responsible of a chia pet.

(yes, of course there are the over zealous, of course...)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, they can. In fact, a parent can lose custody for much, much less. Follow the money and find that the states and counties get a significant bonus for each child they take from the parents and place in foster care. Child Protective Services is probably the largest child trafficking organization in the USA. There is good money in it.

Latest Discussions