Calling all brits - support the gurkhas now!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The government is continuing it's disgraceful treatment of people who have served out country long and well. Gurkhas soldiers have given their blood and lives for us and are now being kicked in the teeth by Gordon Brown.
Joanna Lumley ( of AB FAB and New Avengers fame) has been spearheading a campaign for the Gurkhas, her father was a Gurkha officer and as she says knew well the loyalty and sacrifices the Gurkhas have made.
I will quote her
"As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas. The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage.

I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now.

This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg.

Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again.

We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so?

You can send a message to your MP directly at www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support.

If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future.

Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

This message has been sent to those who have signed up for the Gurkha Justice campaign by signing at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk or on a printed petition for supplying your email address. You can opt-out of further correspondence from the campaign at any time by email to [email protected]"

Pleas email your MP and ask him to support Wednesdays Justice Motion and sign up to Joanna's campaign!

On a lighter note my other half reads the messages from Gurkha Justice and hears Joannas distinctive voice and goes all googly eyed lol! We have AOL and she's the voice that tells us we have email etc and says 'goodbye' in that sultry way when we log off.

I work with Gurkhas and know a great many of them and their families, you couldn't ask for better people at your side and none would make better citizens of this or any country. I'd advise Americans to grab as many as you can and make them US citizens! It's rare these days to find such loyalty, decentness and selfelessness among people. They are also the most dignified people I know.

On a lighter note my other half reads the messages from Gurkha Justice and hears Joannas distinctive voice and goes all googly eyed lol! We have AOL and she's the voice that tells us we have email etc and says 'goodbye' in that sultry way when we log off.

I work with Gurkhas and know a great many of them and their families, you couldn't ask for better people at your side and none would make better citizens of this or any country. I'd advise Americans to grab as many as you can and make them US citizens! It's rare these days to find such loyalty, decentness and selfelessness among people. They are also the most dignified people I know.
Thanks for the info. It is a crying shame that such honourable soldiers are treated this way, by Gordon Brown's administration. It's just one more nail in the coffin for the "Great" in Great Britain.

I've just emailed my MP, as a life long labour voter it pains me that Brown has treated the Gurkhas so disgustingly.

Thanks for the info. It is a crying shame that such honourable soldiers are treated this way, by Gordon Brown's administration. It's just one more nail in the coffin for the "Great" in Great Britain.

To be fair no British government has treated the Gurkhas well, it's not just this one. In fact they may have got more from this one than the previous ones but it's not enough. The Gurkhas are a soft target, they won't complain though they are starting too thank goodness.

Read my sig line. Apparently its true DURING war too as long as its far enough away, becomes "yesterdays news" and gets backpaged by a "more interesting" story.

Last edited:
It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

Wow sad. But just change Gurkhas to US Veterens and we have the same issue over here.

Hell the V.A hospitals are not even cleaning instruments that they use on our vets..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30393368/
I guess all vets get treated the same way world wide...

again sad....

Back