Butterfly Knives

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carried one for years as a utility tool when I worked on the ambulence. It cut seat belt. opened windows, and I could always open a can of soup when I was hungry. 2 weeks after stoping work on the ambulence I got stoped in a traffic stop and busted for carrying my knife. Luckily it was not a felony at that thime(ca. laws change to much).
I still carry one much of the time as a belt knife.
I have one form that is made for the Bali but don't practice it that much because I don't want the younger students seeing it or me with the knife.
Practice is the only way to ever get realy good with the knife and to find out all that it can do.
One of the things I like about them is that they make a mean pocket-stick/kubaton in the closed position
True and a often missed and forgotten way to use this knofe

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alway impressed me as a weapon that you use offensively. If you decide to use it, you can draw it in the right way (mine always got stuck in my pocket, was backwards when I pulled it out, had it open in my pocket and grabbed it by the blade, etc.) open it and use it. Rather than something I would want to employ defensively. And a thumb sweep open of a folder is much more gross motor skill than the simplest balisong open. The latch open has the possibility of just tossing the weapon under pressure. Did it a few times myself while practicing it at high speed. Not many other knives carry as high a risk of cutting yourself (wrong handle flip openings) as the balisong either.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, here is what I have come to known:

Using some of my older notes with these pics posted:

The true 'butterfly" knife, if one is to not use "generic slang" but correct reference is a Chinese butcher's cleaver. Later this was developed into:
Thumbnail_Knives2%20015.jpg

However, they were more crude-looking back then and/or less fanciful.

The false, or "generic slang" one is actually called the balisong, claimed to be originated from Batangas, the Philippines islands.
HC25.jpg

However, the French seem to lay claim to it.The oldest "balisong" knife dated before the 1800's, is the "Piued-Du-Roi. It is in France, which can be seen in the Musée de la Coutellerie, in Thiers. According to reference, Lagiole, ("city of knives"). This oldest dated evidence seems to support that in a French book called book, "Le Peret", which was published in 1710. Showing a drawing of a balisong.

In the mid 1800's, there were German manufactured ones that appear in Bontgon and Sabin's catalog. Which have actual documented patents in that era.

So if the the balisong is European design or origin. And Spain was a powerful, vast, and country of exploration. One can argue that a Spanish vessel may have taken one to the Philippines which in accordance to some history, was colonized by Spain.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Reasons I carry my SOG folder a lot more often than my balisong:

It's faster to open.

It's legal. Interesting point here. An LEO here told me a butterfly knife can be legal, depending on how you open it. Using centrifugal (or centripetal, I always forget which is correct) force is ok.

It's less valuable. I've seen original Balisongs like mine go for astronomical prices, and I'd prefer not mucking it up doing chores.

It holds an edge better.

A lot of great points already, both in its favor and against: The Balisong is a good kubotan, and fun to play with. The lock never seems to be the right direction when I pulled from a pocket. Though it's pretty easy to get good at a swift opening, errors still occur sometimes because there's still some complex and well-timed movements required.

Cool concept, but other knives out there get the job done better, IMO.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
The true 'butterfly" knife, if one is to not use "generic slang" but correct reference is a Chinese butcher's cleaver.
47MartialMan said:
I've always heard of the Chinese cleavers refered to as Butterfly Swords (not knives)

The false, or "generic slang" one is actually called the balisong, claimed to be originated from Batangas, the Philippines islands.

From what I understand, it was US GIs during WWII who coined the term "Butterfly knife" after seeing it in action while stationed in the PI.

In Batangas there is a barrio (like a city) called Balisong. This city is famous for making knives much as, for example, the cities of Sheffield in England and Soligen in Germany are. It's much like the American city of Detroit, Michigan is famous for making automobiles. Balisong is just the name of this city. It has since come to be synonymous with the butterfly knifes made there. http://www.balisongcollector.com/balisong.html

However, the French seem to lay claim to it.The oldest "balisong" knife dated before the 1800's, is the "Piued-Du-Roi. It is in France, which can be seen in the Musée de la Coutellerie, in Thiers. According to reference, Lagiole, ("city of knives"). This oldest dated evidence seems to support that in a French book called book, "Le Peret", which was published in 1710. Showing a drawing of a balisong. In the mid 1800's, there were German manufactured ones that appear in Bontgon and Sabin's catalog. Which have actual documented patents in that era. So if the the balisong is European design or origin. And Spain was a powerful, vast, and country of exploration. One can argue that a Spanish vessel may have taken one to the Philippines which in accordance to some history, was colonized by Spain.

We have discussed the history of the Balisong knife herehttp://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14746&highlight=balisong

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, arnisandyz.

Latest Discussions